Reviews for Harry Potter and the Unexpected Friend
Smutley Do-Wrong chapter 5 . 7/24/2017
So how far ahead are you on spells?

I know all of the spells you learn before OWLs. I know some NEWT level spells, mainly charms, jinxes, hexes and curses.

Woah. How is she not bored to tears, 3 1/2 years ahead in wanded magic, NOT counting "some NEWT level spells".
Over reach over the top,too far ahead IMO.

"...telling him everything. When he later tried to fin"
Overuse of pronouns muddies the water.
him-Harry
he-her father
Or maybe "him" also her father, making "She wouldn't mention that part to Harry though", not slightly redundant.

Rephrase?

" She had to open up." She doesn't, or author forgot, or my recall mistaken. Not telling her father, I thought she was protecting Harry, by her father knowing, he might use/expect Daphne(her friendship) to extract more exploitable information. That's my rough hazy recall of it.
truBlack chapter 5 . 7/24/2017
You know what I like most about this chapter? The relationship between Harry and Daphne while seemingly obvious has some subtlety to it as well.

First, I just wanted to mention once again the brilliant magic being used here. I do not know if in your world using parchment like Harry and Daphne do to communicate is widespread knowledge but I would imagine that if it is not then her family can certainly bring in some dough with how convenient it is.

Which actually reminds me a bit of the mirrors James Potter and Sirius Black used back in school. I would not put it past Harry and Daphne to use such mirrors to communicate. Keeping their friendship a secret is hard enough so I imagine they would do such things to help compensate.

This reminds me of when I was in school. I remember constantly wanting to talk to a girl I had a crush on and would keep checking my phone for any text she may have sent.

Harry and Daphne are doing the same here. They might not see it themselves but Harry pretty much drops everything at once to just simply talk with Daphne. It seems she is eager too to respond to Harry. She worries so much about his response that she does not see how different she treats Tracey and Harry. Daphne may think her and Harry are just friends but her behavior towards him speaks of feelings beyond friendship.

Harry too seems to be slowly changing his ways. It is the holiday season and they are free from class obligation and yet instead of relaxing with Ron he would rather talk with Daphne. That in my opinion says a lot. While school is in session it would of course not mean much to simply dismiss Ron and go on to do other things like homework but in this case it is him deliberately choosing to speak with Daphne as opposed to spending time with his best friend. I wonder how long it will take them both to realize their true feelings.

This was an excellent way in bringing them together. I am a bit worried about Astoria. She only has some pieces to the puzzle and unfortunately she is jumping to conclusion. I feel she will do something very bad to Harry while suffering delusion that she is somehow helping out her family.

Last but not least I have to question the sudden curiosity they have pertaining to Sirius Black. I do agree that him not having a trial is fishy it would still (IMO) not be something they would eagerly try and investigate more about. It just seems a bit too contrived. In their world they have accepted Sirius Black as being a traitor. They have no reason to even care whether he had a trial or not. This curiosity of theirs in my opinion just implies that they might think he could be innocent which I think is a bit ridiculous.

Why would Cyrus care so much about any trial pertaining to Sirius Black when it is well known (even if it is not true) that Sirius Black betrayed the Potters and sided with Voldemort. I think this subplot would have worked better in their 3rd year when Sirius is supposed to break out of Azkaban.

As of now it just seems contrived and in there just to have them eventually come to the conclusion that Sirius is innocent.

Overall I think your story and this chapter in particular are top notch. The only wrinkle is the Black issue. I absolutely love the way you are building Harry and Daphne up. It will be quite a thing to see how they eventually come out to the public. For now they are well on their way to being the best of friends and hopefully shortly after that a real couple.

I eagerly await the next chapter.
Kenislav chapter 5 . 7/24/2017
Oh man... just when I start liking the story, it turns out to be one more "Snape is a git" thing... :(((
Guest chapter 5 . 7/24/2017
You've almost painted yourself into a corner. The Daddy Malfoy - Harry confrontation is in jeopardy - Dobby doesn't get freed. I hope you've got this sorted. Leaving him there would be a shame.
Harry Ashhworth Black chapter 4 . 7/24/2017
This is a superb, brilliant, amazing story. Daphne is great here. It doesn't matter if she is Mary Sue or not, the story is quite enjoyable and I like her character very much
Gime'SS chapter 5 . 7/24/2017
thanks for the update
trispectrum chapter 4 . 7/21/2017
A great start. Really enjoying your story. Looking forward to more.
Cassandra30 chapter 4 . 7/21/2017
Harry needs to learn a lot of stuff.
HeartsGlow chapter 2 . 7/21/2017
Oh no. I was hoping she'd be telling her mother, who could then discuss it with her father, or at least tell both. If Daphne finds out about the way Harry was raised, the two parents will have vastly different reactions.
Smutley Do-Wrong chapter 4 . 7/21/2017
The Neville parents issue reminder here. It reminded me of the illogic chapters previously, Daphne deciding that it was Neville who had to inform Harry. That illogic did Neville no favors, has stumbling in dark in minefield Harry, uncertain, guessing, walking on eggshells around Neville, regarding the picture, & regarding the "secret" of Neville's parents.
Being Harry, not a SOP fanfic tactless Ron, a third party(Daphne) informing Harry would have made more sense. Harry then would have had option to approach Neville, informed, than guessing and worrying. And even for Ron-like character, better to not send "that" to extract the "secret" from Neville.
Smutley Do-Wrong chapter 3 . 7/21/2017
So in breaking the stilts of canon, of the too common canon trope of NEVER sharing info, (even if there are those "is there something you wish to tell me, Harry" moments, and with twinkle eyes and feeling X-rayed, fodder for fanfics if not canon clue of canon Dumbles using legilimency for staying informed)... YET LIKE CANON STILTED TROPE, somehow informing Dumbledore of Lucius Malfoy's involvement is NOT included.
Lordban chapter 4 . 7/21/2017
Flight from death is actually a mistranslation. Depending on the sense you use for "Vol", it's either Flight of death or Theft of death.
Rori Potter chapter 4 . 7/20/2017
Interesting. Update soon.
XxDragon King DragneelxX chapter 4 . 7/20/2017
great work so far looking forward to reading more!
Dorothea Greengrass chapter 4 . 7/20/2017
I like the way you let the friendship between Daphne and Harry eventually change them all - Neville is included in their circle, Hermione actually begins to see that it's sometimes better to restrain herself, and even Ron is starting to think. I also love that Harry actually begins to apply himself. His passiveness in the books always irked me. Though I know that teenage boys often are like that, not all of them are, and even the dumbest of them get their act together eventually, and if the strain is big enough. Sadly enough, JKR cut back all possible development he should have made in favour of Hermione - or should I say Mary Sue?
717 | « Prev Page 1 .. 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 .. Last Next »