Reviews for Rangers of the North
js chapter 1 . 2/2
Hi Morwen Tindomerel, I have no idea if you're still active on this site, but thought it worth a try. I read your LOTR stories years ago and loved them - apologies for never reviewing, I never registered on FF and back then I was a bit wary of leaving a public review.
The stories must have lodged in my brain, because alarm bells went off when I read the first few chapters of 'Heir to the Seat of Sundered Kings' by 'My blue rose' which has recently begun to be posted on this site. It's either you posting an expanded version of 'Rangers of the North' under a new pen name and title, or someone is taking serious liberties with your story. After the first (introductory) chapter, the plot is the same, and alarmingly many of the lines are verbatim identical to your story. True, the writing style is a bit more expansive and (some of) the names have been changed, but the similarities seem more than just coincidental.
Hopefully it's you with a new monniker (in which case maybe please post a note to that effect to avoid people being concerned/confused). If not, you might want to take a look into it.
best regards,
js
Whispers of the Silver Shadows chapter 26 . 5/19/2014
Wow. This was really well written, and well thought out. Well done. I love it.
TMI Fairy chapter 18 . 6/28/2013
This chapter burst the pet shop on me ...
Borys
forTheLoveOfHades chapter 26 . 2/21/2013
ohhh!love it
Katerinaki chapter 11 . 2/14/2013
Hello there!
You never cease to amaze me in the level of (accurate) detail you present in your story. You provide such a rich background, it's easy to forget that a lot of these people are original characters and not part of Tolkien's canon world. It really is amazing. I admire your work greatly and I hope that I'll be able to achieve this sort of depth in my own stories eventually.
Cheers,
-Katerinaki
innail chapter 21 . 11/28/2012
Would these 'unexpected allies' be Frodo, Sam, Merry & Pippin?
Lady Artemist chapter 26 . 2/13/2012
This was a very fantastic story. The characterization was done well. But what impressed me the most was how well you blended the history of it all. Thank you for this story!
Mikkalea Luna chapter 26 . 2/21/2011
I liked your take on the society of the rangers!

While reading your story I had almost forgotten that it was not canon and part of the book :-)
The Otherworlder chapter 1 . 5/14/2009
I am 6.5 hours away from my first final, and here I am, typing up what's going to be a very long review for you. Yeah, so I could be a little bit more studious... But I have been reading so much of your work in the past few days (while studying microeconomics and statistics) and I really feel like reviewing. In fact I have read your works before, all the way back in the 03-05 period when you were first posting them. I just didn't review then (or did I? I can't remember...). Nowadays good LOTR fics are few and far in between, so I went back and dug up yours to read. Now I can't stop the urge to give you the glowing praise you deserve. You are, in my humble (subjective) opinion, THE best LOTR fanfic writer, full stop. Your works totally absorb me, as much as Tolkien's work itself. Here are some of my thoughts about all of your works in LOTR, not just this one.

I absolutely LOVE your portrayal of Aragorn. He feels so noble yet so realistically noble in your story. He is courageous and willful but not rash, not even in his love. He is humble but he never shirks his birthright, neither the responsibilities nor the privileges. So many other writers, in my eyes, don't quite get this side of Aragorn-the kingly side of him that's not just power and virtues, but also the rank, the authority, the pomp (that he did not refuse), and all the rest of the dressage of someone at the height of a feudal hierarchy. Your Aragorn is also very clearly human. So many writers tend to write Aragorn as a man who needs convincing that humanity has its merits, who serves mankind more out of duty than anything else. From the typical LOTR fanfic, I have always gotten this staggering sense that humans are in every way inferior to need to be protected, educated, led and empowered by the Elves. And Aragorn, of course, is a protegee of the Elves, and that is why he has the abilities to lead the Dunedain... I have to be honest, I ABHOR these portrayals. Which is why I am so shocked and so elated by your perspectives. You show Aragorn as what he ought to be: a Man, a Dunadan, who draws wisdom and strength from his people first and foremost, surrounded by friends and kin not just of Rivendell or Mirkwood (roll eyes, btw I am happy that you did not go to the whole Aragorn-Legolas best buddy thing), who never for a second doubted the strength and merits and glory of Mankind. Thank god... Not that I don't love Elves (actually, maybe not SO much, haha), but I still think most writers of LOTR don't give humanity enough credit (or give Elvenese too much credit? Don't know, likely a combination of both). Oh, and by the way, thank you for not making Aragorn into some brooding hero whose sense of doom and self-sacrifice seems almost like a fettish. Here is a man who realizes his own importance, has a sense of self-preservation, and detests heroic melodrama. Ah, so refreshing.

The way you shaped Rivendell is also simply amazing. Oh I love your Arwen. She is SO vibrant! Burning with so much passions and determination, so strong and so womanly. I am afraid Tolkien's Arwen is not so interesting and seems... I don't know, I often wondered why she loves Aragorn, or even, why Aragorn loves her. It seems like... a breeding choice, a completion of legends. But your explanation of that love story is simply amazing. Of course I think you still took the Austen route of "they fell in love, take my words for it, it's the rest that's interesting and important" (lol), but still, your interpretation of Arwen's waiting, her decisions and her pursuit of her own happiness is amazing. Here is an Arwen whom I can admire and love! Though she does seem more woman than elf. Then again, the entire Peredhel or even the Elven brood in your story are more humanistic, with real passions, real concerns, and they love Middle-earth and consider themselves part of it as much as men do. Because they are not all so perfect, they seem so much more realistic. Their strengths, in contrast to their weaknesses and lapses in judgments, became more convincing, and they become greater and more noble precisely because you don't set them on high pedestals.

And your Dunedain... I can only say, WOW. I love Grandma Ellemir, I love Berya, Gilvagor is nothing short of pure awesomeness, Barahir can be so funny, and Idril, she is so realistic I feel I can easily picture her in my head, standing there in the White City. How do you come up with a brood of such characters, everyone so high and noble, yet each glorious in a different manner?

Your descriptions of the societies of Arnor and Gondor (all that "fanon") are just breath taking. You gave Middle-earth so MUCH depth and reality. I have always been a little unhappy with this aspect of LOTR-I just feel like it's not rich, realistic enough. Sure, sure, the Prof invented his own language, and the entire mytho-history of this world. That's enough to make the world and the stories epic, but not quite enough to make it realistic and rich. The fact that I am a sociology/economics major probably doesn't help either. I kept thinking whenever I read LOTR: how many Dunedain are there, surely a few thousands is not even enough to form a city? Who did the farming in Rivendell and Lothlorien? How did they trade? Did the Rohirrim carry food on their back during their muster? My other favorite novel is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a novel without so much history and myth (though allusions are plenty) but simply a plethora of sociopolitical and economic details. The author describes for you how armies are recruited, how military funds are raised, how strategies are shaped, how alliances are bargained, and even how provision for the army moved across the land. Contrasting it against the LOTR, I always felt that the LOTR lacks those details. But heck, I guessing building those details and fitting them into Middle-earth is half the fun of writing LOTR fanfic. You do an amazing job of this. The Arnor you describe really sounds like a coherent society. Geography, logistics, a web of blood and social relations, political entities, trade, more history, all of those come together in your stories. Now THIS is a believable world, a real society that could be the history of some faraway dimension (Tolkien's stories, I am afraid, never convinced me of their "historical" feel, probably because I read a lot of historical novels and historical fantasies).

If I may raise a small issue with your story at the end of my rant, if would probably be the "Mary-sue-ness" of almost all your characters. I mean, they are high and noble, with blood older and even more noble than that of Elendil; they look like Elven princes and princesses, nearly as good looking as the Evenstar herself; they talk to eagles and griffins (Valar forbid!); they are allied with daughter of Feanor and son of Dior (Valar forbid again!). They seem so high and so magical, albeit, a lot more magical then even Tolkien's original creations. But heck, I mean, it's very cool, and I certainly enjoy this group of beautiful, powerful, magical Dunedain, haha.

Now another request I would have, if you are ever to write in LOTR again, is probably to write about the "enemies", namely, the Haradrim, the Corsair, the Easterlings, etc... I know there was some about the Haradrim, but I want to see more of them. Haha, I am rather enamored with the Haradrim. Probably the fascination with the "other" and also "what if you looked from another point of view". I have written about them and I am writing another fanfic with lots and lots of Haradrim. :)

Okay, that's probably enough of a rant now. Hope I haven't bothered you much with this long review of a story from like... five years ago.

PS: I recommend to you "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". Somehow I think you would like that story. There is complete version, an earlier translation in English at .
MP brennan chapter 26 . 12/4/2008
Excellent story! You have a great imagination combined with an enviable grasp of Tolkein lore. Reading this story felt like reading JRR himself, and I can't give higher praise than that. I was especially impressed with your ability to introduce people and places never seen in the books and yet describe them perfectly right off the bat. OC's can be tough to write with, but yours are stellar. Kudos!
Lenneth chapter 26 . 9/29/2008
beyond amazing! ...there is nothing else to say.
Tani Barton chapter 1 . 4/8/2008
I suppose I should preface this by saying that I haven't read this story. I was actually on the verge of bookmarking it to be read at some later point in time, but to my dismay, I found that it's just one big block of text. Out of curiosity, I checked to see if all of your other stories had a similar lack of formatting, and found that while the more recent ones seem fine, quite a few of your earlier stories either have slightly strange formatting, or like this one, no formatting at all. So, I'm going on the assumption that at somewhere along the way the site was changed in a way that made all your formatting disappear on some fics, and I thought you might want to know that this had happened. I know I would. Of course, it's entirely possible that you already knew and I'm wasting your time by telling you this. If that's the case, sorry. - Otherwise, you might want to invest some time in some repair work when you get the chance. (And if you do decide to fix it, please let me know. My to-read list can never be too long!)
Eagle Thoringil chapter 26 . 9/4/2006
I love your story!I think it captures the mystery of Thoringil very well. I wish you had a tale of Aragorn's deeds with the Rohirrim
Nelarun chapter 26 . 8/17/2006
This story was amazing! I was instantly drawn into it! The charcters you chose and portrayed were so real as to be life like. The amount of depth that you put into each. They style of writing that you used was excellent. I can't really say anything else, it was amazing! Thankyou for writing it. I go on to read the rest..

Nelarun
kateydidnt chapter 26 . 4/6/2005
Fantastic story! I loved it.