Reviews for Untold Tales
Deiseach chapter 1 . 5/10/2003
Oh, yes - more wonderful stories! I truly like the Elflings, and of course, Ecthelion and Glorfindel are as marvellous as always. And your Tuor is so true to what his character must have been: he would have been shy and serious and grave, (and sweet!) after his life and troubles. It's too bad of Glorfindel to tease him like that, but then that's how the Lord of the Golden Flower is, and it's not malicious in intent. It makes me even sadder for the Fall of Gondolin, when we know what's going to happen to all these kind and merry folk. Ah, me: alas for the sorrows of the world. I think I am falling in love with all your Elf-lords, and you know, I really don't have room for a harem, so you have to stop making them so adorable. (No, on second thoughts, PLEASE don't stop). My, this is definitely the most gushing review I have ever given.
Caporal chapter 1 . 3/22/2003
Elves eating s'mores? Ai Eru.

I love your Lords of Gondolin and their progeny.

Poor little elfies. They may not realize it, but the *really* don't want to know.

Cheers,

Feanoriel
Clarenova chapter 1 . 3/18/2003
"Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la," Legolas sang.

Brilliant! And offering Tuor a roasted marshmellow on a stick for a peace offering... Even more so.

*waves a "Gondolindrim Rule" banner around happily, munching on a s'more*
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 3/12/2003
So the Silmarillion was originally bonfire tales, told over s'mores? I can see it. And it must have been fun for Penglod to do all that research. Now, if only they all could get their stories straight.
Klose chapter 1 . 3/6/2003
Heehee. I don't know what you were aiming at, but this story was funny and serious all at the same time!

I liked the little anecdotes about the characters. such as: '.Tuor would be a much more fun-loving person if he would just learn to enjoy the cocktails of Cirdan's people.'

And this one was pretty funny too:

' "Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la," Legolas sang. He was no lyricist like Glorfindel, who could improvise to any of Ecthelion's tunes, but the simplicity of Legolas's tune made it easy for the others to join. '

Simplicity? *cough* What an understatement! :)

And I can so totally see 'smores as an Elvish delicacy. ;)
erunyauve chapter 1 . 3/5/2003
There is a neat parallel here to the actual writing of the Silmarillion - like Pengolodh, I can imagine Christopher Tolkien agonizing over all the missing parts, trying to fill in the gaps and in the end having to finish the story of Doriath himself. (And, personally, I think JRR would have been quite pleased with Christopher's resolution of that story.) And the emergence of the story of Curufin and Celegorm in the woods is reminiscent of the many layers of the Silm, as Tolkien went through numerous partial rewrites and 'discovered' new things about his elves.

Of course, I've always believed that Pengolodh gave the Sindar short shrift, myself.
Hwoarang Girl chapter 1 . 3/4/2003
Well done!

This is brilliantly done - lively and the characters interact very well, and I especially loved the way Glorfindel and Ecthelion 'crashed' in on the others and began to tease them!

I hope to see more writing from you soon!

Hwoarang Girl

*_*

p.s. To Valasse Almariel the original Legolas was a Noldo lord of Gondolin - his names pops up somewhere within the Silmarillion. He's of no relation to the Legolas most people know and adore.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 3/4/2003
Oh, I love it! Thank you! The Maeglin thing wasn't even a challenge, but I'm very glad those Gondolin elf-lords managed to inspire you. I loved singing Legolas, and the nicknames Anar and Isil for Glorfindel and Ecthelion. And for some reason, I'm fascinated with Elvish food, so thank you for the s'mores. They sound very tasty. :)
Valasse Almariel chapter 1 . 3/4/2003
Hello! Wonderful beginning, but a quick question - I've never read in Tolkien canon that Legolas was in Gondolin before its fall. If he was there, then that would make him older than Elrond, who was born a fair while after the fall of the Hidden City to Tuor's son Earendil . are we talking of the same Legolas Greenleaf of the Nine Companions or is this another Legolas I haven't heard about? I do confess I haven't read the Unfinished Tales . where would I find info?
Tinni chapter 1 . 3/3/2003
Very good and interesting.
Mouse chapter 1 . 3/3/2003
*glee*

Loverly! And the Dynamic Duo steal the show, as usual. _ Love the "Anar" and "Isil" nicknames(?). Good stuff!