Reviews for Inheritance
Wasteland chapter 1 . 3/8
I recently found your fic on ao3 and have been absolutely LOVING it. Y'know the cliche of hooking the reader through the first few lines? That's what you did. Ill prob leave more comments gushing but for now im going to treat myself to a reread. thanks so much
OnePunchFan8 chapter 26 . 2/20
For some reason I missed the final chapter. I think I was busy and just forgot about it, but remembered this story and read chapter 26 just now.

The threat the chozo described reminds me of the Reapers from mass effect, though it seems to be a "natural" process? Or some kind of entity?

Amazing story, I hope you'll write more in the future!
CuriousCancer chapter 26 . 11/17/2020
i just finished this masterpiece today and im glad i found this. Cuofeng, you may not see this or read it, but your story has easily become one of my favorite reads on this site. The action, setting, the antagonists and mind of samus is perfect. If you do read this, just know you are doing all metroid fans a kind service! And thank you for such an amazing story. Btw fav scene is samus' declaration of war against everyone, and all the space pirate shenanigans!
Waging Wonder chapter 26 . 2/5/2020
It would have surprised me to no end had Samus not chosen to fight the devouring darkness, whatever it may be. As she had said, there was really no choice for her at all, even if there is no hope of victory to contain the star-swallowing darkness.

And the Chozo doing everything the hardest way possible does lend a gravitas to their actions, perhaps an attempt to lend real consequential weight to the lessons they would teach any that might follow them, or perhaps to punish themselves for their failures and weaknesses... or both. In any case, Samus seems to have been granted the wings the Chozo themselves could never attain.

Then as Samus plunges toward the darkness, you finish with another paragraph that seems to have Samus going on her Zero Mission. Interesting in a sort of reverse full-circle moment that I took as implying that perhaps Samus going into the darkness was her final mission, so here is an excerpt from her very first mission. It is certainly poetic in a way, but I don't really understand its purpose.

I would say the story overall is exceptionally solid, though I will admit that toward the end, the level of abstraction did get confusing for me. I am not well versed in philosophy of any kind having never had much more than a cursory interest in the subject, so even though the lines on the page were easy enough to follow, the philosophical underpinnings did befuddle me in places. This is not so much a complaint as an admittance of my own lack of understanding. I believe my biggest source of confusion came from when Samus destroyed the First Metroid, she sort of became the First in authority among the other metroids and thats why they didn't attack her, and even aided her in the final battle against the Last.

Now, it is not like metroids helping Samus is unprecedented, the baby metroid in Super Metroid did just that. In this case, I believe you might have been a little too subtle in spelling this out here in your story, however. Normally, you use subtly well, but I believe in some places a tad more overtness might be in order.

Other than this there is absolutely nothing to complain about. You write excellently, clear and concise in prose and literal intent, gorgeous imagery, heart-pumping action, profound characterization... I mean, as far as I am concerned, you have Samus down to a T, and I really liked your Ridely as well, despite the peripheral role he played in your story (understandable since he has been curb-stomped by Samus a thousand times at this point).

So kudos for such an entertaining and thought-provoking story about everybody's favorite bug-smashing, world-killing, bounty hunter badass, Samus Aran.
PurplePlasmaPenguin chapter 26 . 1/9/2020
Wow! That was a crazy ending, in a very interesting way!
The twists of the final battle were amazing, with the hyper beam and actions of the Metroids particularly interesting. The line from the Aurora Unit, as well as the fact that the Space Pirate prediction of a ship came to be true, were both hilarious without distracting from the tone in general.
PurplePlasmaPenguin chapter 22 . 1/9/2020
The battle scene, the wave beam moments, the interaction between the two Ridleys, the Pirates, and Samus's battle perception: I thought it was all very amazing and creative! I have to admit, I didn't entirely understand the dialogue the Mecha Ridley initially threw at Samus, though Samus's observation of their treachery was, in its own dark little way, hilarious.
Waging Wonder chapter 25 . 1/7/2020
The transition from the flashback was quite good, I really enjoyed it.

I will admit I don't understand how Samus turned the tables here, whether she got her suit back through sheer force of will, or if she was in charge of the metroids this whole time and them wounding her allowed her to transfer their energy into her so she could reconstitute her suit. I'm not sure, maybe this was all just too abstract for me or I have forgotten things from previous chapters.

Maybe the next chapter can clear some of this up. Either that or I need to go back and re-read some things from before.
Ninja6345 chapter 26 . 1/4/2020
Dang, that was... it was something alright. Absolutly glorious. I loved the story from begining to end. Wonderful. Simply wonderful.
Guest chapter 26 . 12/30/2019
Loved it. Really well written. What I liked the most were the flashbacks. Hope you can do more stories
Waging Wonder chapter 24 . 12/24/2019
The Last is certainly not wrong about Samus, but I knew that little blurb would not be enough to sway the Hunter to abandon her pursuit. Fortunately, the Last had better.

Also, the heat death of the universe? I fully admit I initially felt as incredulous as Samus about the Last fearing that, but that is because I am using my limited human perspective. Naturally, the Chozo view time differently and you explained this effectively after the initial bout of incredulity wore off. So, yes, I suppose from their perspective the fear is very real. If an eon can be parsed down to the same as an hour, the terror can be translated.

Now, I will be honest and say that I had expected another replica like Dark Samus, but you did me one better. I did not expect the menagerie. Of course, grotesque monsters are nothing new for Samus, but the mental assault tied to their manifestation was actually effective... for Samus and for me. Very nice work.

And now it seems the final showdown is about to begin. I don't for the life of me believe you could have picked a better place for it. And the Last is such a fascinating antagonist that it will be interesting to see where all this leads.
Gauss chapter 24 . 12/19/2019
'make due with prophecy.'

You mean 'make do with prophecy.'
Waging Wonder chapter 23 . 12/18/2019
Well, this chapter certainly cemented Nakamura as quite deranged, being somehow able to justify actions that even Ridley-in all his ruthlessness-wasn't even dumb enough to commit. The fool was ready to risk igniting planetary atmosphere to cover up his crimes, but luckily Yin was able to rout such idiocy with her great courage, made greater still because Adam's guidance and reassurance was prerecorded. I'm not sure why, but I found that pretty hilarious.

I see now that Samus, after acquiring her new suit, had commandeered some pirates to build the cable system, and all for her to get enough of a power boost to take the Diomedes head on. I must have forgotten where exactly this was described, but if the suit can simultaneously hack all communications in one fell swoop, I suppose hacking a gaggle of pirates would be child's play.

Also, the deterministic eradication of choice is a fascinating line of thought. That a sufficiently advanced race could tabulate the actions of sentient beings to the point of predicting all behavior would render free will moot-is a somewhat terrifying concept, but I digress...

So two down, one to go and you certainly saved the most interesting for last. Samus has obliterated pirates for years and even dealt with underhanded federation plots before but the Last presents a very different and potentially subversive challenge. Their final clash has the potential to do all kinds of fascinating things and so I will definitely read on.
LawrenceSnake chapter 24 . 12/18/2019
Bravo, sir!
grantmoxham chapter 23 . 12/16/2019
i have to say- thus far, this has been -well- worth the wait-
something ive seen a lot (in stories of many varying types/mediums) is the tendency of Rogue (or "Rogue" given how widespread the rot in the Federation seems to be) black-ops operatives getting the "ironic" punishment of being shot/ "removed" with their own methods-
assuming the crew of the ship survive, might there be a chance of a public trail/court martial for Treason/Mass murder/illegal bioweapons research in the future for a certain -former- officer?

you know, the thematic feel- they spend their entire Career dodging responsibility/oversight whilst justifying doing horrible things "for my next promot- err, i... i mean, for the nation's own good", and at the end, their punishment is to face the system- no cowboy justice, no scheming or backroom deals- just a courtroom and a cell for the rest of their lives...
OnePunchFan8 chapter 23 . 12/11/2019
Fucking awesome!

Just caught up, I like how interesting and detailed the chozo's culture/ideology is.

The Last is going to be pissed when she sees Samus in the armor...