Reviews for CYPHER
Moonstruck-Dreamo chapter 3 . 2/2
I'm excited to see where this goes, but am worried about the Tamer's relationships

I wasn't exaggerating about the awful secondhand embarassment last time, please tone it down.
Moonstruck-Dreamo chapter 2 . 2/2
This gave me the worst second hand embarassment, I literally threw up.

I like this story though, I just don't know if I wanna continue
icomeanon6 chapter 2 . 10/17/2017
First thing first: Danny DeVito as Lunamon is just as magical as I imagined it would be when I first heard about it.

For a while I was worried that the whole Danny DeVito thing would be incongruous with the more serious parts of the story (the trauma, specifically), but now I find it… oddly appropriate? I’ll see if I can explain myself. Tamers was always a very self-aware show in that it took a look at Digimon from the outside even though it was on the inside. The kids in it saw themselves as the heroes they knew from TV, and they took that role seriously because they took Digimon Adventure seriously. Camille on the other hand would be someone who also loved Digimon as a kid, but is now a cynical adult, and her (hilarious) partner reflects that. As someone both traumatized by the D-Reaper and too old to take this Digimon/Sailor Moon stuff at face value, Camille fits as a kind of post-Tamers character. So that’s all a lot of words for me to say that I think this actually makes sense as an adult Tamers sequel, tone-wise. It helps that it’s also hysterical.

Specifically, the transformation scene starting with when they’re standing in the park had me in stitches by the end of it. “Do I shout 'DIGIMENTAL UP' at the top of my lungs, like some sort of asshole?” is gold, as is how she’s freaking out about her expensive shoes disappearing. I also love how she doesn’t know what to make of all the extra hair she suddenly has, which isn’t something you always think about when it comes to magical girl transformations. And god, that one guy at the end, too true.

Mostly this reads rather smoothly, but you’ve got a few grammatical things that might trip people up. I noticed some places where you have a comma between the subject and verb of a sentence, like at the end of chapter 2: “Then, a raspy voice of an older manb,/b shouts from another part of Rittenhouse Square, about a foot away:” (Also, I don’t think that’s supposed to say “a foot away”). Another thing is when you have someone talking and it spans more than one paragraph, you’re supposed to omit the closing quotation mark except on the final paragraph, otherwise it looks like the speaker changed. So like this:

"[…]and it could end with both worlds being destroyed.
"That's where you come in."

So yeah, I really dig this so far. It’s super-funny, but at the same time you’ve established some serious elements that promise to come back in important ways. I’m curious to learn what specifically it is that’s tied to the D-Reaper attacks that’s affected Camille this much. And since this is also a magical girl story, I naturally have to wonder if Camille’s magic-bearing animaloid guide is everything it seems to be. I’ll definitely be back for chapter 3!

(Pfft, “Frank.” Literally lol’d while reading that on the train.)
aikotters chapter 1 . 7/28/2017
You had me at Lunamon.

Well, specifically you had me at Lunamon voiced by Danny DeVito. But our cursing protagonist is hilarious too. I appreciate we're going, not just into trauma but into how people tend to avoid how it affects them too. To me that's important. It's a very societal thing. I think that's what I'm trying to say.

Admittedly I was a bit confused on her not believing Digimon were alive despite seeing the D-reaper but that could be chalked up as denial or her not seeing them on screen. Either way it's interesting to see.

The world building is very subtle but enjoyable too. I'm really looking forward to seeing this world in the future of Tamers. I can't wait to see more. :)