Reviews for Of Elflings and Mice
FearOfDeathIsIllogical chapter 1 . 3/20/2012
A great story. Very well written.
Starry chapter 1 . 3/16/2004
I WANT AN UPDATE! I DEMAND AN UPDATE! I NEED AN UPDATE!*puppy dog eyes*
Fadesintothewest chapter 1 . 8/31/2003
Hello, it's me again. I hope better late than never. I so LOVE your conception of middle earth, of Thranduil, but most of all of our beloved wood Elves.

Their Avarin traits, how they are so much tied back to nature is beautiful and fully explains in my head why they would never heed the call of the Valar for all that is sacred for them is found on earth!

As I reviewed in another of your stories, your incorporation of the corn or maiz mythos is amazing and the Twilight Dance reminds me of a traditional Pueblo dance that is performed come Winter! Truly inspiring- well at least for this nerd of a reader.

Your vision of wood Elves is indeed inspiring. I think you have captured their spirit as I intended to but somehow could not. I have written a Mary Sue of sorts as an answer to a challenge that somehow has taken a life of its own. Surprisingly, probably not after all my ramblings- this Mary Sue is 19th century Native American Woman of a strong Hopi background. I was inspired to do this b/c of my vision of Wood Elves and how much in my head their culture shares with Native American mythos and creation stories, but somewhere I lost these wood Elves.

I am glad that I have found them again in your stories!

Celebwen is tragically beautiful, removed, even physically, the Sindarin gene truly present in her, the Sea Longing such a tragic Tolkien creation.

Ai, poor little Rhimlath, too little to be a true companion, but in the end the little mouse jumps into his hands, and all is forgotten.

Great Story!
JastaElf chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
Doggone it, I KNOW I reviewed this before... but I didn't see my review when I came back to re-read it, so I'm going to try again. Doggone anyway...

Soledad, this is SUCH a sweet story, and so full of rich details. I have to confess I like stories where Oropher is still alive in Legolas's lifetime, for I feel the old gentleelf would have been a pushover for our young Princeling! But I also like the canonical details of a female bakeing master while the cook is male; and Thranduil having cooking as a hobby... great stuff!

And Legolas is quite an authentic child, as are Rhimlath and Mirenin. Too many times children in stories are written in as cardboard, throwaway bits, to acknowledge their presence and get them out of the way. These kids are great, charming, childlike, mischievous, and just wonderful!

And Legolas learned, I hope, an important lesson: good that it was dealt out by a slightly older brother, not by a parent. (grin) Rhimlath, ignored and looked upon as annoying, is the one the mice trust and like... a VERY fine touch indeed!

Thank you for a beautiful story! And this time I hope the review takes!
Larian Elensar chapter 1 . 4/4/2003
And why haven't I seen this one before? It's wonderful, I love 'little Legolas' stories...And are they just like human children? (the annoying toddler bit reminded me of Angelica not liking the 'dumb babies' on Rugrats...)

And his older brother, making sure Legs learns the lesson...Yep, very satisfying.
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 4/1/2003
Aww... I loved how although all his elder relatives were probably worried sick when Legolas nearly got eaten, among the children he's respected for it. :). And also to know that the mice are tolerated - perhaps not given free reign of the pantry, but I couldn't imagine Elves, particularly the Silvan, laying down traps or poision for the poor wee mousies.

I'm going to have to go read that poem now...

Jen
Levade chapter 1 . 3/27/2003
I didn't realize you were on I can't remember the first place I saw your Boromir story, but I remember thinking it was a very unique take on Tolkien all over again. Since then I've read a ton more fanfic, so I had to come back to find you and say this. You have a unique vision of Tolkien's world, and while a million others have aped it and spun off it, it's wonderful to see you're still at it. It always makes me sad to see authors I admire getting burned out or tired of imitations. Best of luck in your endeavours.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 3/21/2003
Your little elflings are very cute. :) And I like seeing them solve their curiosities. The bit with the walnuts was a good detail. Heehee. They're so cute when they lure the mice out. I like the way all of that is balanced with the thoughtlessness and occasional cruelty of children and the way we see Legolas learn to be different. Children are always selfish, but they can be taught otherwise. Very fun story. Thanks.
Casey chapter 1 . 3/11/2003
Lol. Legolas looking for mice is a cute notion, and I keep getting the image of twitching little noses in my you've gone and done it for me. I'll go look for mice as well. :P
erunyauve chapter 1 . 3/10/2003
Darn it - there was something else I wanted to mention about this fic, and now it's escaped me. I always like seeing Thranduil indulging his love of cooking (reminds me of my own dad). I wonder if Tolkien liked to cook?
Finch chapter 1 . 3/9/2003
Lovely story, and a good illustration of 'the Elvish way with all good beasts'. As always, an admirable and enviable attention to detail. Also, you need surprisingly few words to present a believable and endearing OC. And now I'm sad, because I know Orchal's going to die some day!
vorondis chapter 1 . 3/7/2003
A cute story, and an admirable look into the minds of the young (and the not-so-young, too, for that matter). I'm always in awe of the way you depict Elvish, and especially Silvan culture, giving this rather disregarded branch of the Quendi a lore and a history of their own. The part about Yavanna teaching the Elves how to grow lembas is a true gap-filler and solves a problem Tolkien never seems to have bothered much about.

One thing got me confused, though: isn't Yavanna (and hence also Sindarin Ivanneth) the name that means 'fruit-giver', instead of Palurien?
Elfie5 chapter 1 . 3/6/2003
That was good, really good. You have a great way of expressing the character's emotions in your story. Excellent story!
Wild Iris chapter 1 . 3/6/2003
I was fascinated by your imaginative creation of Oropher's court. It was obviously thought out in exquisite detail, from the royal family to the kitchen staff, and all the geographical setting besides. The characters are very appealing. I love the image of Thranduil in an apron. And Oropher plays the harp! How cool! Orchal is a great and happily level-headed addition to the family. And Legolas, of course, is an adorable imp. His condecension towards little Rhimlath, despite their nearness in age, was very amusing.

The dense description, and the sense of Elven history and culture, make for a richly packed vignette. Even in a little tale about mice, it's very satisfying to see your wider vision of the House of Oropher :)

There a few small errors (mostly slips of the brain like "beach" for "beech") that could do with smoothing out, as the rest of the writing is so fine. I'm not quite sure the word "bum" fits the idiom, but it did make me laugh :)

I hope you will be able to create many more such episodes of the Silvan court.
Hufflepe chapter 1 . 3/6/2003
Aw. This is really nice. BTW, although you has an 7 in the text, there is no endnote for it.