Reviews for Defying Destiny
HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 27 . 8/19/2021
The drama! The suspense! The romance! The absolute joy I felt reading this chapter! Everything I ever wanted was in this chapter... aside from Seto and Kisara kissing and/or Seto beating up Joey. You know how I love to see them beat the absolute crap out of each other. :P Does that happen in this story, by the way? If it doesn't, can I make a formal request as your biggest fan that you include one? lol, or I just need to include another scene where they beat up one another in my story to get that fix. Back to what did happen in the chapter, everything was so good. Except for when Kisara left with Joey. I didn't like that, although I did like how pissed Seto got when Joey called her 'babe.'

Of all the scenes that happened in this chapter, I think I like the last one the most where Seto is sifting through his feelings as well as the fight between Yugi and Seto. Regarding the fight, I like the part where Yugi is trying to justify even just having a conversation with Seto on the basis of them being friends and Seto saying, "Um, we're not friends. Don't I get a say in this?" Poor Yugi... trying to say that friendship doesn't have to be two ways but he obviously wishes it was. It's clear that Yugi wants no ill-will for Seto and feels for him. It's also clear that Yugi is tired of hearing the same story from Seto, "It's all magic! Leave me alone!" Oh Yugi, what are you gonna do with him?

Poor Seto, too, because he just really will never get that one thing he desires most. And I thought it was brilliant how you described that scene and the emotions he went through. I could absolutely see Seto comparing the feelings to that of his childhood and how Gozaburo treated him. While people on the outside see it from the pride perspective, it's clearly tied to his inner child issues which you outline and describe so beautifully. It's probably why I love Seto's character so much - when people say that Yu-Gi-Oh is really about dealing with childhood trauma, no one is more of a poster child of that than Seto. And I love that there are little instances within the original show that reference that, too, most frequently with Seto's character. So I just love what you did and think it rings so true to his character and how painful an experience like this must be for him.

All in all, loved it!

HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 26 . 8/19/2021
Oh yes, the chapter with all of the dueling. I remember you telling me how annoying it was to write but it came out so well! Duels can be so hard to write... we don't give Takahashi enough credit for creating a show entirely based on a game. You have to plan out every move in order to make the duel compelling or highlight the Duel Monsters you want to highlight. While dueling is the least interesting part, it's what pushes the plot forward in the original show so you have to give the creator credit for making it compelling! Which is absolutely what you did here. I honestly thought I was going to skim through most of this since it was dueling but you kept me on the edge of my seat and I felt so bad for the Kaiba Brothers when Seto lost. I know he needed to lose (Seto winning the title of King of Games would need to be a separate story entirely considering what it would mean to him, haha) but it was still heart-wrenching. :(

And Evil Bakura is back?! I think I remember you telling me this, but naturally I forgot because it's Bakura. XD I still love YGOTAS where one character mentions Bakura and another character says, "Whose Bakura?" because that's really how it goes with him throughout the entire show, lol. He's just kinda there until the last season when he plays more of an important role. It's so funny because it's true! I do like that you have a Bakura plotline because it is an interesting angle to take and I like that there are many stakeholders interested in Kisara and what her existence means. Looking forward to the next chapter!

HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 25 . 8/19/2021
WOWZERSSSSSSSSSSS! That chapter was amazing! Oh my gosh, I just love this story so much. I love how many plots and subplots are in here that make this such a well-rounded story. And, of course, I love how Seto and Kisara are at the center of it all as we do love them the most. ;) I say that because I loved everything about this chapter, including the Joey bits (which usually you know I don't care for, haha). I really liked the short but impactful interaction between Mai and Joey. It actually made me realize that I'm a bigger shipper of them than Tea and Yugi. Not necessarily because I don't think Tea and Yugi should be together, I think they should, but I think Joey and Mai have a more interesting dynamic. They're both so guarded and wounded from the past, and I think them having an age difference adds to an interesting dynamic as well. It strangely took this chapter for me to realize I'm a huge fan of that OTP which I never realized before.

And of course I loved all of the Mokuba scenes. :D He really is my favorite forever and ever and you write him so well. The Seto scenes were great too, but Mokuba is definitely my fav. I will admit that I was just as shocked as Yugi was that Pegasus recommended that he and Seto duel. It was obvious that the event would be set up to go in that direction, I think there was even a suggestion that it might happen in the previous chapter from Ishizu, but your writing is so fantastic, it really brings the reader in. I always feel exactly what the characters are feeling in that moment and it makes the reading experience so fantastic. Great work!

HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 24 . 8/18/2021
Wow, so much of this chapter was my favorite! I'm not even sure where to start. I bet you knew this would happen too, given how much literary "screen time" you gave my favorite boy, Mokuba. ;) Also, was the line, "I'm seventeen and Mokuba Kaiba. Not like anyone's gonna kidnap me for it" FORESHADOWING?! lol, I don't remember you telling me that happens in this story (and not sure that it does) but would anyone be surprised? Hahaha, anyway, so this chapter was great and I'm gonna tell you why.

1. The orphan kids in Kaiba Corp getting in for free. AWWW! And then Mokuba defending his brother to the couple that assumed they paid for all of these kids to show up just for the unveiling.
2. The gift to Kisara and, in tandem, the trickery from Mokuba! The trickery being that Seto didn't set up the corsage but Mokuba did because that's just the kind of brother he is. Who wouldn't love that little stinker?
3. Mokuba asking how Joey got in to the event because Seto sure as heck did not give him one. Hahaha, anything that makes fun of Joey ALWAYS makes me laugh. You know this :)
4. And as always, all of the description and scene setting that you do to make the story come to life. I know I say this all the times in my reviews to you but I really do love how you write and set up scenes. It really makes us (the readers) feel like we're right there, experiencing all of the same fantastic events as the characters. And in a story like this, that's a very fun experience. Great job! :D

That's all from me on this chapter. Looking forward to reading the next!

HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 23 . 8/18/2021
Oh good, a chapter all about my favorite brothers. ;) Loved it! The description in the nightmare/flashback was fantastic. I really felt the terror that Gozaburo instilled in Seto! Who wouldn't, though?! So scary... but I liked the light-hearted content you included in the rest of the chapter with Mokuba, Kisara, and Tea. I liked when Tea was encouraging Kisara to live her one life. You know I'm all about living by that life motto! I also liked when Tea asked Kisara if she trusted Seto and my first reaction was, "He would be the only person I would trust!" But I know Kisara doesn't know him as well as I do. She's getting there, though! Another great chapter in the books and looking forward to the next one.

HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 22 . 8/18/2021
OMG, look at you with 142 reviews for this story already! I'm so happy to see that so many people are enjoying this story as much as I have been! . Initially I thought I wouldn't like this chapter because not enough Seto and way too much Bakura but, of course, anything Rena Redhead writes I instantly love. :D Wow, the Bakura and Pegasus scene was intense, especially the part where Pegasus puts his hand on Bakura's shoulder and whispers in his ear. I felt that! That was way creepy. Also, Bakura being a creeper and inviting himself over to the Game Shop and Joey being a dummy and not checking his phone made me laugh. XD

I am worried about our girl Kisara going to the show with so many creeps that are going to be there like Pegasus or Bakura (not confirmed but it sorta seemed like he might find a way there). It makes perfect sense that Yugi is worried too but I love that Kisara put her foot down. She doesn't remember who she is or anything about her past but she's damn sure she wants to go to the unveiling. Good for her! And the fact that she will be with Seto makes me confident that she'll be okay. Who could ever mess with Seto? Not anyone that seeks to have a long life ahead of them, that's for sure!

Great chapter. :)

itxprincessxlala chapter 35 . 1/17/2021
Yayyy! Happy new year and another wonderful chapter! I'm so excited to see some of this action get started. I feel it's going to get real soon quick! Pegasus definitely has something sneaky up his butt and we can't forget about Bakura :( Can't wait for the next chapter! You're such an amazing writer!
angiembabe chapter 35 . 1/13/2021
It's all about to kick off. I wonder how Seto will react when he finds out that Kisara wants to go home. He can't go with her because that will cause problems with his past incarnation. I wonder, has Kisara even thought about his likeness to Priest Seto? I don't recall it mentioned.
Yay! Yugi asked Anzu out, sort of. But I don't think he would be that useless about asking her out. Maybe when he was fifteen/sixteen he would get embarrassed, but he was quite confident around her as the story went on, and by DSOD it was hinted at that they were already dating. How old are they in this, by the way?
itxprincessxlala chapter 34 . 11/7/2020
Yay! I was so excited to see another chapter. The action is amping up! I'm still a little cautious thinking Kaiba will fully believe the story easily. I also think there's a lot more to it and Pegasus will definitely get involved somehow. You wrote this chapter really well - there was so much emotion that was conveyed and you did a fantastic job sharing it. Hope you can update again before the end of the year!
Darkness-Valkyria chapter 34 . 10/30/2020
Having devoured this story in a couple of days, it's safe for me to say that I LOVE this. Partly because I'm always curious to read about what kinds of lives Yuugi and Seto would lead post-series(I'd rather not acknowledge DSOD), but above all, this story has pulled my heartstrings with the raw emotions emanating from the characters, so I commend you for that.

I've always liked the idea of Blueshipping, but thanks to you I think it's now one of my OTPs(along with Mizu). The emotional rollercoaster within these past few chapters has KILLED me(in a good way, I'm a sucker for good angst), but I am more than willing to ride it out. I know, misunderstandings are a tried-and-true trope, but it's also true that they can happen, and it can hurt. A lot. Because of it, Seto said some awful things to Kisara, but it unfortunately makes sense, given how he was raised. How Gozaburo's training was engrained to him for so long, the idea that he couldn't trust or care for anybody. Even Mokuba, the closest one to Seto's heart, was a victim of Seto's reared mindset, as the events of Death-T showed. Sorry, I'm getting a bit analytical here, I just wanted to describe how real you've portrayed his feelings.

Kisara's guilt also resonates with me, in this latest chapter. She just wants the best for Seto, even if she misguidedly thinks that means leaving him be. I wish the series had delved more into her dynamic with Seto. In contrast to how the other characters view Seto, Kisara just accepts him for who he is, and doesn't see something "wrong" about him that needs fixing.

Aside from the leads, I just love the way you've written the side characters. Especially Mokuba, whose teenage antics crack me up, and Ryou, who IMO was a severely underutilized character. Ryou is aware, more than anyone, how dangerous the spirits can be, and after so many years being used and possessed by one, it makes sense that he wants nothing more to do with lost artifacts.

I could go on about this story, but I'll just conclude by saying that I will be patiently awaiting future updates. Hoping that Kisara and Seto will have a real confrontation and that Joey isn't secretly crushing on Kisara(the Polarshipper in me is REALLY hoping for that).
Monshroud chapter 28 . 10/29/2020
Of course they aren't good enough! I mean Seto already basically built a giant shrine to her with Kaiba Land, what with all the Blue Eyes White Dragon statues and decor!
Monshroud chapter 10 . 10/28/2020
Hmmm, considering Kisara's existence as Seto's ever faithful spirit guardian, I would have thought she'd be the one who instinctively throws herself into danger to protect her beloved...
angiembabe chapter 34 . 10/28/2020
I'm not sure Seto would worry about Mokuba taking a taxi when they are multi-millionaires and fly around in private jets and helicopters. A taxi fare would be small change to him.
Yes. I would say you did a good job of portraying Kisara's feelings of guilt.
itxprincessxlala chapter 33 . 8/16/2020
Ahhh yes! Loved everything about this chapter including the BBMAK song! So excited to see an update here. There were so many feels but honestly even in real life sometimes you need this kind of push to come to a realization. Love love loved it! Excited for the next one and hope you're doing well!
angiembabe chapter 33 . 8/13/2020
I actually found Seto following them quite amusing, especially when he hid in the booth and Jonouchi saw him. There is a sad note to it too, and I think Jonouchi mentioning Ancient Egypt will only rub Seto's temper up even more.
163 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »