Reviews for Writing Checklist
Name On The Spine chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
I cant answer the question, A- because it would use words inappropriate for school and B- becuz its proboble you've handed it in already.

i dont know how to review this, but I enjoyed reading it. I may have to pin this on my. Wall.
nanimo chapter 1 . 2/26/2007
You've probably already written your paper, but... To me, a Mary Sue is a character perfect in every way, unless they have a cliche weakness or 'dark, mysterious, unknown past.' But sometimes, Mary Sues are needed in a story. As long as the story is well written, I believe it's okay to put in a Mary Sue/ Gary Stu. :)
demented cookies chapter 1 . 1/25/2007
Ha Ha! this is, funey! I loves it! I'll be sure to folow it. I won't write no storie with'out looking at it and checkin it according to this list!
Aura of Chaos chapter 1 . 6/9/2005
Mary Sues are bimbos
BeatlesLover chapter 1 . 5/25/2004
this really made me laugh!
good job!
alex chapter 1 . 1/7/2004
Sniggers* Hilarious, really. Nic eway to disguise stuff.
Phoenix.G.Fawkes chapter 1 . 12/19/2003
Depending on the fic, I can stand or even like a Mary Sue, but usually I find them annoying. I mean, it's not like I have nothing against original characters, on the contrary I think they can be useful and make the story more interesting. The problem is when the original character is too perfect and gains much more attention than canon characters. In my opinion, a good original character must seem real, it must have flaws and waeknesses. If they are too perfect, they are annoying. Most people doesn't like perfection too much.
In spite of this, I've read fics where there were terrible Mary Sue-s, but the story was so interesting and well written that you could ignore tha fact, and even like the Mary Sue. However, if I you want a piece of advice, avoid Mary Sues and Gary Stus like the plague!
PS: I have a question of my own. Why Mary Sue and Gary Stu are called like that?
mad sam chapter 1 . 12/4/2003
Hey
I think some Mary-Sue's are ok, but if you make your Mary-Sue too perfect, they are just plain annoying, if you had a pairing with Artemis and a Mary-Sue NEVER make them a really super-smart fairy as that is so annoying, Holly Artemis pairings are ok though because Holly isn't exactly super-smart and she has faults, like disobeying orders, though i don't really call this a fault more of her personality anyway I think I've reambled on enough thank-you and goodnight!
t_e_b_n_o
made.of.bees chapter 1 . 8/23/2003
I actually like Mary Sues. Or, in general at least. At the moment I've been writing/ reading/ watching Hannibal stuff, and then when I went back to my Mary Sue story and other Mary Sue stories, it was...odd. Anyways, I haven't been reading/ writing any recently, but I have written some and read a lot. My Mary Sue-ish story that's the most Mary Sue-ish is Random Jackness, but I'm going to be re-writing it with a friend, so that might not be true for long...Ta ta.

-Jess
inactiveisasinactivedoes chapter 1 . 7/31/2003
Mary-Sue'z...sum stories that contain them could make them REAL good if the plot, characters, outline, etc. etc. are good enough, and a Mary-Sue character just fits into the whole thing. Other then that, when people write perfect little girls that beats and outsmarts everyone at everything, it just gets plain anoying...like when sum1 i dun remember wrote sumthin about Artemis gettin beaten on sumthin by sum "mysterious" girl, i was jus so anoyed...no one on Earth is smarter then Artemis Fowl, and i think lotsa ppl would agree wit me...so that's what I think about Mary-Sue's is this: they may be good if the whole character fits in perfectly with the plot, scenario and other characters, that's perfectly fine. But when fic writers just make up a perfect girl who's smarter then everyone else, its boring, stupid, useless, and a waste of time...okay u could use my comments in ur reports, but personally, i don't think you do cuz i think my comments just plain suck. k bye!~
Lunaria chapter 1 . 7/21/2003
Mary-Sue is basically a self-insertion of the author into a story. But the Mary-Sue character is not like the author per se. She is more like what the author would like to be. The author makes the character all that is good about her and then everything she is not (like beautiful, smart, athletic, etc.) They forget that most readers and writers alike want to read a story that is realistic, with realistic character interactions.

Normally younger writers tend to go down the Mary Sue path. It can't be helped; when you’re young you want everything to be perfect when you create a new character for an existing fandom, or an original character for an original story. But many people, after discovering fan fiction, grow out of the Mary-Sues and into more mature character creation.

Writing an original character and inserting it into a fandom is no easy task. You have to follow certain rules and regulations.

1) Don't automatically make the new character friends with the protagonist and his/her friends.

a) You could make her friends with one of the protagonist's friends initially, and then with time the protagonist may grow to befriend them as well

b) Or you could make the protagonist dislike the new character for some valid reason, and then after they observe the new characters actions, then they can befriend them with another valid reason.

2) Don't romantically pair the new character with the protagonist.

a) If a romantic relationship needs to be in your story you can pair up the new character with a minor character.

b) Or you can create another character for them to be in a relationship with.

3) Don't make them better than the protagonist or other characters known for being good at something.

a) Harry Potter for example: You would never make a female character smarter than Hermione. She could be close, but not as good.

b) Its okay to make them good at something the protagonist isn't good at.

4) Don't make an original character a carbon copy of yourself, but a little better.

a) Its okay to have some similarities between yourself and the new character, but limit it.

b) Its also okay to give the character flaws. They can be ones you have or ones you don't. Just remember no one is perfect.

I hope this has helped you with your essay and feel free to quote me.
Inzu chapter 1 . 4/2/2003
Hi kitti... bye kitti...
Sorceress5 chapter 1 . 3/15/2003
Mary Sue was the original person who put herself in a story, right?

If so, I like it. I do it 90billion% of the time anyway, it's just more sutble sometimes.

~Sorceress
Citrusy Snicket chapter 1 . 3/14/2003
First of all, I think Mary-Sues were inapropriatley named. I think they should be Mary-JANEs. Mary-Jane is far more common and unoriganal, much like the character it discribes. Although, you can't turn Mary-Jane into a boys name for those male Mary-Sues out there. (They do exist. They're called Gary-Stus. I'm not making this up.)

Other than their names, I think Mary-Sues are very, very annoying, and I hate them.

There, I answered your question. And I signed my review. Good story by the way, but I rarely profread my reviews.
creatureofnite chapter 1 . 3/11/2003
Mary Sue is: EEvil! EVIL! AWAY DEVIL! She could probably benefit from some time with the NICE MEN WITH WHITE COATS.