Reviews for The Last Wish
HMRoberts chapter 8 . 10/27/2017
Wow.

If this were a book, as in paper- or hard-bound, I would quite literally not be able to stop reading it, cover to cover.

I don't even know how to word this review to convey my delight, my absorption and my awe of what you're creating, here.

So many American-based stories are basically HP-canon given different names and changing up the window-dressing a bit.

But not... this.

Original, thought-provoking, that "new book smell" all we bibliophiles crave. EVERYTHING in this tale has either taken me by complete surprise, or presented a new line of thinking that had never occurred to me before. (And with as much reading as I've done in my 51 years, that's saying a lot!)

I think I'm in love! :-)

Awaiting your next installment eagerly, I am...

Your Constant Reader,
Heidi R.
JayBat chapter 7 . 10/6/2017
Lots happening! Mysterious Adam- we don't know what he is, but we know it's dark, and we know he's not unique (he's on page 394), and he can't be an animagus. So something like a werewolf?

Nice passage with Shikoba Wolfe. Tough to live with a wand that is disappointed in you!

JayBat chapter 5 . 9/8/2017
Love the Red Sky legend, tough ending, though! I guess the Brothers Grimm are no walk in the park, either...

Lian is making some friends and raising some eyebrows. Meditation? What?

Stephan Grundy chapter 4 . 8/27/2017
A charming prequel to "American in the Dungeons", and it's entertaining to get a look at an American school of magic.
JayBat chapter 4 . 8/25/2017
OK, now wait a mnute. You're telling me that in magical North America, jackelopes are *real*? :-)

I don't read Pottermore much, so the sorting was new to me, and I enjoyed it.

I love Julianne's (she was still Julianne then!) wanding scene, and that she got to meet her wandmaker and will be able to ask him about the animal head on the butt of her wand one day. I hope she gets to meet a thunderbird IRL eventually. Good thing the painted thunderbirds had pity on our stranded firsties.

JayBat chapter 3 . 8/24/2017
Hah! Yes, this totally works and is now my personal head canon for how Ilvermorny firsties arrive!

A motor coach, and a fast, comfy one, because Americans (sadly) don't do trains, and don't do funky uncomfortable transportation in general.

The test of getting up the mountain in the fog- good for sorting purposes, yes?

Julianne going back with the lantern and calling for the rest of her group: love it, that's our Julianne.
JayBat chapter 2 . 8/24/2017
Hah! Just checked this out. You're writing Last Wish in parallel with American in the Dungeon? Mildly discombobulating and a little bit spoiler-ish (snow leopard? nice!), but it is so-so-so nice really meeting Jacob and Seraphina and Jason, no complaints.

Julianne's gift is powerful and uncontrolled and no wonder her family worries about her, good god.