Reviews for Let the Memories Be Good
peppermintteababy chapter 1 . 9/30/2019
oh my, where do I start? this is an absolute masterpiece. I have not felt this feeling for a long time, since I was young and watching the Lord of the Rings books and reading them for the first time. despite the differences between yours and Tolkien's style of writing, you both illustrate the same feeling and relationship between Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. in fact, I believe you embellished it a bit. you gave reason and logic to Aragorn's decision where before I believed it was a whim (I will have to share this fic with my sister and convince her of the nobleness of Aragorn's final choice rather than his silliness). you showed Gimli's true love (no slash) for his friend and what he is willing to do to do what he believes is best for Legolas, even if it hurts. genuinely, this was a beautiful read and brought a refreshing pain to my heart. I love your style and your attention to the little details that furnish a friendship and that carry a story. thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Admiral T. DeVanto chapter 1 . 2/17/2019
This...this was amazing. Just the small missing piece of Lord of the Rings lore that we needed. I was left with a bittersweet feeling. Although Legolas and Gimli are together, Aragorn is not with them. The three of them, Elf, Dwarf and Man, had such a deep bond and it is sad that the three of them have to experience their own different adventures of their own in the end. There were so many wonderful comments and phrases of friendship in this story, but if I had to pick one, it would have to be at the end: "He met Legolas' eyes and saw the sparkle that had not been there for years." I do not know if that was your intent, but I interpreted that particular line as Legolas finally letting go of his fear of loosing his remaining friend. The 'sparkle' in his eyes had died down somewhat because he knew that Gimli was not long for the world of the living, but with Gimli now sailing with him, Legolas was able to let go of his fear. Amazing story! God Bless
Guest chapter 1 . 12/28/2018
Love love love!
Guest chapter 1 . 11/24/2018
Love this story! I could actually hear Aragorn's, Legolas', and Gimli's voices in your writing. You captured their friendships very well.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 1 . 3/18/2018
Wow, this is such a beautiful, well-done story. I love how you open it with recountings of their various adventures (and misadventures); it's a great way to capture the bond between the three of them and set the tone for this story. I also love the little mystery built up around what's bothering Legolas when Gimli sees him at Minas Tirith, and the gradual, bittersweet reveal that seeing Aragorn and Gimli grow older, while he remains unchanged, is getting to him. "The bond the three of them shared..." is such a poignant line. Aging and dying can be such heavy themes, yet you explore them in a really lovely, graceful way here, and you recreate the writing style and dialogue of the books perfectly.

P.S. Discovered this story via review tag at The Dark Is Drowsy forum.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/3/2017
This is so in character! Both of them are so stubborn:)
sailor68 chapter 1 . 11/6/2017
Great story! Thank you! Maybe a second chapter about their arrival?
Hawaiichick chapter 1 . 8/23/2017
While sad that Aragorn's no longer with them, I love seeing how Gimli ended up sailing with Legolas. He is such a good friend for both Aragorn (and his last wish) and Legolas. Gimli is the best! :)
MB chapter 1 . 8/18/2017
Wondeful. Thanks for sharing it with us and congratulations .
MB chapter 1 . 8/17/2017
Wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us.
South of the Storm chapter 1 . 8/18/2017
Thank you for this story. It's beautiful. Also, someone's cutting up onions around here. Might want to do something about that.
TolkienScholar chapter 1 . 8/17/2017
This is possibly the most beautiful LOTR fanfic I have ever read. I adored the banter between Legolas and Gimli, the insults and jabs with the undercurrent of deep, abiding affection. I loved the way you explored what the sea longing was like and how Legolas managed to stay in Middle-earth for so long after it had been aroused - with great difficulty. The concept that he was more tied to the mortal realm by his proximity to his friends, that time passed for him as it did for mortals instead of for elves, was believable and simply perfect. Altogether this is a beautiful story and I am overwhelmingly impressed by your writing skills, your characterization, and your ability to fill this gap in a way that feels respectful to Tolkien's original story and characters. Very well done indeed.
ziggy3 chapter 1 . 8/17/2017
Lovely ending- I never read end of the fellowship stories because they are too sad but I liked the emphasisi on Gimli rather than Aragorn, and it's a great way of explaining how Gimli came to Valinor.
nimruzir chapter 1 . 8/16/2017
Oh that was just lovely. Congratulations on your first place!
sian22 chapter 1 . 8/16/2017
This was just wonderful.. the "aragorn's little helions" and influence by elves and dwarves just made me grin. "flighty empty headed sprite" made me laugh outright. Lovely taut and evocative writing. Congratulations