Reviews for The Perfect Subject
AlwaysPadfoot chapter 1 . 10/31/2017
I was terrified upon seeing the title and the rating and apparently I had good reason because this was twister - I love twisted. It gave me chills just reading it. Gellert was just perfectly dark and sadistic (also I loved the little nod to Albus/Gellert). Ariana was well-founded and I like that she’s the perfect cover for Gellerts experiments. I really loved this - I love dark stuff. Any recommendations like this would be appreciated. Perfect job x
Cookies and Ink chapter 1 . 10/30/2017
This was absolutely chilling.

I think what grabbed me the most was how Gellert rationalised it and even acted like he cared for Arianna. You wrote his twisted perspective and experimentation with magic so well I felt equally horrified and couldn’t stop reading.

This was dark and I loved it.
The Lady Rogue chapter 1 . 10/30/2017

I has all the sads. So many sads. I hate him! This truly made my insides scrunch up and my stomach turn. I don't know what to say to express what I feel. I guess I'll start with the basics - Grindelwald's characterisation is spot on. His casual cruelty was natural and even the more sickening for being something he doesn't even relish. In fact, he was almost fond of her, in his creepy, twisted way - exactly like he had been with Credence, at least until he was of no more use. Ariana's tortured and tragic life was exactly as I could imagine it. My only thoughts were that she seemed coherent enough when talking to Grindelwald, not mad at all. But his emotional manipulation made me shiver. I just want to hug her and never let her go. The flow was immaculate, and there were no SPaG errors. Emy, I really hope your next fic is filled with fluff and cotton candy, because else I might not recover from this one!
NeonDomino chapter 1 . 10/30/2017
I'm speechless. I don't even know what to say after reading this, just that Umbridge, Voldemort and Bellatrix seem tame in comparison to the cruelty that Gellert has inflicted.

How could he do that to Ariana? I love though how it ties in with canon, with the theory of what she could have been (I do love the idea that she was an Obscurial).

Well done. This is dark and twisted and I just couldn't look away from it. It was brilliantly written and I didn't spot any mistakes. Excellent job!
DobbyRocksSocks chapter 1 . 10/29/2017
What the hell is this? I am shocked and appalled, and also slightly wondrous, because dammit you made me hate Grindelwald more than I hate Umbridge.
Wow. I don't even know what to say about this story. It's horrifying, but oddly compelling, and so absolutely wonderfully written. I felt so bad for Ariana. I actually want to murder Grindelwald in his sleep. Because reasons.
Characterisation is stunning on the part of Grindelwald, because as I said, you actually made me hate him and it's a hard thing to do as a writer to make the reader feel so invested in an emotion - especially at the relative short length of this.
This is perfect. You are perfect. I bow down.
RRBLestrange chapter 1 . 10/29/2017
This is pure perfection :D
isaacswolfsbane chapter 1 . 10/25/2017
This was so good omg. I loved how you built up this relationship between Gellert and Ariana because it's not something you tend to see (well, I mean, part of that might be because I only tend to read Dramione, Scorbus, and Wolfstar, but still... xD) and yet as I was reading it I felt like everything made perfect sense.

Ariana as an Obscurial is an excellent addition, too. Like, it adds so much depth to her character and it gives you a little more thought about Gellert's too because if it started with Ariana then it makes sense why he was looking for other Obscurials in FB, to carry on his work.

Gellert's characterisation in this, though. I think that was my favourite thing. Like you managed to show so many different aspects of his personality. The way he seemed a little crazed at times but it was all for his work, for his research, but then you also had him feeling pity for Ariana too. It showed there was more than one side to him and made him much more human.

The only thing I didn't get was the line about the Draught of Living Death. It just appeared and then was never explained or mentioned again. I'm assuming it was so that if anyone questioned Gellert's whereabouts she could vouch for him because she wouldn't remember the time he was out? That's the only reason I can think, but again it wasn't explained so I just don't think it was needed.

Great job :)
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 10/25/2017
I really liked reading this through Gellert's eyes. I just realised that most fics involving Gellert was from Albus' perspective, so this was nice and refreshing in that sense.

This was a strange concept, and the whole Obscurial!Ariana is one I've heard, yet not read. I liked the concept.

I admit, I don't think I fully grasped the concept of WHY he was torturing her. That confused me a little.

However, I did think this was wonderfully written and the flow was fantastic. You really had a story here. Well done :)
Zivandre chapter 1 . 10/24/2017
Ooh, I've read this once before, but, I enjoyed reading it a second time. You really have Grindelwald's character down, and you write him wonderfully. Wow. You made me get chills for poor Ariana, and, make me sympathize with Gellert. Great job, the flow, originality, and SPaG were perfect, and this is such a great read! Great job!
Duke157 chapter 1 . 10/24/2017
To the uninformed, this story might be a little difficult when they first encounter it. I myself had to go back through the wiki to understand what an Obscurial meant. It might've been helpful if you could've somehow integrated that into the story, since the concept of obscurial was explained only in FBAWTFT and elaborated a bit further in some FAQs by JKR.

The story is pretty well written, though I feel only the tone of the story was a little off. It's a little difficult to explain, but I felt that the tone could've been darker. Sorry, it didn't work as well as you intended it to.

Keep writing.
MaryandMerlin chapter 1 . 10/24/2017
Well. I knew Gellert was a rat bastard (excuse my French) but I didn’t know he was that much of a rat bastard! To profess such affection and respect for Albus only to use the trust and returned affection as an opportunity to torture and experiment on his beloved little sister is a low I didn’t think anyone would sink to. What an interesting new storyline to go with. I hate him and want to hug poor Arianna. It broke my little heart when she asked if it was because she is a monster. No Arianna! He is the monster!
As with the last one I dont have anything to concrit. It flowed well, interesting and engaging storyline I didn’t spot any SPaG mistakes or anything so another fantastic job :D
WritingBlock chapter 1 . 10/23/2017
I’ve never really read a Gellert fic before so this should be interesting!

I… I actually think this hurt me worse than November! Jesus Christ Emy! This is perfect and dark and everything!

*Grabs heart and swoons* This is why you’re my Senpai.

I love how dark you got for this fic! Gellert – as I imagine him to be – was perfectly in character! He was so dark and yet I could, to an extent, justify what he was doing. Because this is something that people have done before. Science through experimentation – whether voluntary or not – is something that exists. It’s scarily beautiful!

And Ariana! My Heart! She just wants to stay with her family and is willing to be tortured for that! Too pure for this world!

[…curl up into a foetal shape…] Did you mean fetal?
ipsa dixit chapter 1 . 10/15/2017
:o
i cannot think of anything better to say than just ':o' because this story shakes me up so fucking much,,,,, like the idea of grindelwald doing this... *shudder*
i feel so bad for ariana ahhhhhh. i want to give her a hug,,,,,,,
are you okay? how'd you even come up with this? *retreats into darkness*
:o
Maisie Malfoy chapter 1 . 10/5/2017
I've always had a soft spot for Gellert, but I think I might have to lose it after reading this. I've been a lover of all things dark for years, but this...*shudders a bit*
This is exactly how I've always pictured Ariana. Exactly. All of this was beautiful in such a dark way (my favorite kind of beautiful)
And even if I hated the rest of it (which I don't) I'd still love the fact that you've included the idea I've had since watching Fantastic Beasts: that Ariana was an Obscurial. Seriously, it's so rare in fanfiction that it's always exciting to see it pop up.
This was lovely.
Cheeky Slytherin Lass chapter 1 . 9/30/2017
Oh jeez. This was so creepy. I honestly have chills right now.

Gellert is such a dark character. Not only did you write him well, but you actually got in his head. You didn't just show that he was this wicked character, you showed us WHY. You showed his conviction. He didn't even hesitate to torture an innocent girl because he believed it was the right thing. I just... Your characterization of him alone gives me a lot of feelings.

The fact that you show him being so clever makes it all that much worse. He knows what he's doing. He seeks to perfect the damn curse. He just... He makes me think of a mad scientist in a way.

Your description of the Cruciatus Curse was brilliant. Ariana's reactions were so heartbreaking. I could see it all so clearly in my head as I read. Poor girl.

This was interesting to read because I don't think I've read many fics where Gellert is the focus, outside of things in the Fantastic Beast timeline. So actually seeing a young Gellert and the beginning of his madness was horrifying because we know what he becomes.

Wonderful job