Reviews for Weeds
Guest chapter 1 . 11/26/2014
It was really hard to read Dijinn's "Not All At Once", to see what has become of McGivers after her hard-won triumph in this one.

I like to think though, before Marla finally died, she at least fought the eel off enough to try and kill Khan.
Sassiebone chapter 1 . 4/30/2014
Absolutely brilliant. This is a beautifully written diary of Marla McGivers. I appreciate the fact that your knowledge of the original Star Trek series is vast, as is mine. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
I'll look at your other works, and I have the feeling that I'll be equally satisfied. Thank you for writing such a compassionate story. It is appreciated.
bedb chapter 1 . 4/29/2014
I liked this...
Narm chapter 1 . 3/3/2014
Hm. I don't want to be negative but I really can't see it having gone this way at all.

It's like an all dark cartoon version of the augments and a completely unbelievable Marla as well. As a result it's not credible.

The novel "To Rule in Hell" did it right, showing Khan's good and bad sides and showing him and all the characters as believable and realistic. Rather than over-simplifying everything into the characters not being recognizable anymore like in this fic.
Sheherazade's Fable chapter 1 . 5/28/2013
Well written, and a little chilling.
Fringereader chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
How nice to find this gem after all these years. I wish there were a way to bump these quality fics to the top so we wouldn't have to wade through all of the non-canon relationship stuff. Thanks for writing.
Kittenmommy chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
I'm here from Djinn's author page. This is a really excellent fic!
the stargate time traveller chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
I LIKE IT
zanuda chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
That is excellent. What an insightful idea to connect Marla and Gill!
Terminally Ambivalent chapter 1 . 9/15/2010
Very well written! I loved the amount of emotion and detail you put into this. It made it relatable and easy to picture. Keep up the excellent work!
Jennifer chapter 1 . 6/7/2006
I've read this and several of your other stories on another site, and I have to say...well done! The way you've tied several other TOS stories into this and the way you explore the psyche of someone like Marla.

There is a profic novel out-I've skimmed it-about Khan and his followers on Ceti. I think it's called "To Reign In Hell." Apparently, it depicts Marla and Khan as being happy. On the one hand, I kind of like to think they had that much...on the other, the picture you've painted has a very compelling "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it" that rings truer to the Khan we saw. Well done!
Cassandra Sayo-Singh chapter 1 . 8/3/2004
Three words: Holy. Fucking. Shit.

You are, without a doubt, one of the best writers on this site. This is novel worthy. That is high praise, you should know, seeing all the other shitty writing I've had to encounter on this site. This would be one of the few novels worth publishing.

Have you read the Eugenics Wars series by Greg Cox? There's a third book coming out about the years he spent on Ceti Alpha V. Send this in, see if he won't use some of it.

If you want to talk more, let me know. I'm writing my own Khan fic, with an OC thrown in and an alternative ending to ST2.

Keep it up!
Tetrion chapter 1 . 7/23/2004
I love it all thought im pretty sure that Khan loved Marla more than that. Keep writing.
The General2 chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
One of the most remarkable works ever penned on the experience of the genetic superhuman, Khan Noonien Singh, to say it in few words. Unknown where to begin, if I were to say it in many.

Marla's decisions in Space Seed are rarely explored, and her journeys from understanding only the "great rulers" of history to understanding truly great men...and understanding that there is a difference...is a concept, and context, that is so neglected in Star Trek fiction that one wonders if requesting a history from the Guardian of Forever would be the only way to unravel certain mysteries about her, and the stances she took.

In all, among the most magnificent reads of Star Trek fanfiction I've ever experienced. Strange New Worlds Volume Whatever should have this story in its next volume, as canon regarding the Star Trek world.
Dia1 chapter 1 . 4/5/2003
You are one of the best writers on this site. Perhaps, the best. Coming from me, that is saying a lot.

You have a strong command of language. You write beautifully and simply and that is the most difficult.

Your work is haunting, compelling, poignant and reaches levels of emotional texture that very few writers attain.

I have one, eeny quibble. And that is this.

It is very difficult for readers to fully engage a story told through a journal, no matter how elegantly written.

This story, your writing, your language deserves a wider audience and I think you would get that by expanding it with real time vignettes.

Use the journal as a framework to take the reader into the events as they happened. I'm not saying you should cut anything. Expand everything!

This could be a novel. It's lovely and sad.

But using the device of the journal ALONE builds a wall around the events and keeps your audience from 'getting in there'.

Some background on myself: I have twenty years writing experience, ten years in film and television production and have three stories posted here as well.

This is my hobby, I'm often disappointed in the writing here.

Yours thrilled me.