Reviews for Strandpiel
A.A. Pessimal chapter 1 . 11/23
Ye gods... usually the advantage of getting reviews is that I get feedback on the story and especially the reader's opinion as to which bits they liked and which bits weren't quite so good and which can be improved. That is gold; that I appreciate.

But... i'm just sorry the two reviewers "Disa" and "Guest" left no way of replying as I'd really like to open a dialogue on their opinions. I got the impression they don't like the story very much. that's fine; everybody's entitled to their opinion.

All the other stuff, however. I don't delete reviews. I really do not. Everything's valid in its way. Even these two reviewers - that is, if they are two different persons, and not the same person with two accounts. I did wonder about this.

I'm also struggling to see what is racist about chapter one - both reviewers were adamant they read no further. I'm also assuming "die Boeman" is the chapter heading they think is racist - both said they read no further than this chapter - and I'm struggling here. It just means "the bogeyman". Nothing more. If this has ever been used as a racist slur on black Africans then I was unaware of this - I also suspect it might have come up and been flagged in my background reading into SA. This is from Dutch. bogeyman. i know enough to know that "die boesman" is an Afrikaans word for the San natives that can have racially insensitive connotations. (calling them "Bushmen" is on a par with a white North American referring to "injuns". Casually careless.) But "die boeman" is not that word and is not from Afrikaans.

And (sighs, heavily) if that's what you want to believe, I'm a racist. I write about people who are "white South Africans", therefore i must be. I use a political system that no longer exists in the modern South Africa as a setting for the stories because it's malevolently crazy enough to have existed on the Discworld and it adds narrative bite. I also hope i'm dealing with it as Terry Pratchett would have dealt with it. This does not mean I think it's a good idea. Sorry two of my readers missed the point completely.

And especially about a character called "Smith-Rhodes". i'm really glad you got where the character name may have come from. Full marks. But I didn't come up with the name. terry Pratchett did. I'm just rolling with the character.

I doubt either of you will be back here anytime justnow. But when you're done with the righteous indignation, talk to me. Shame you didn't carry on reading. You might have ound out just what a dyed-in-the-wool verkramp-Afrikaner racialist ABB Eugene de Terreblanche fan I really am.

Ag, man. Onnoselheid is universele. Onnoselheid dra alle velkleure.
Disa chapter 1 . 11/20
Oh, I like how you clearly delete all comments calling you out on your white supremacist drivel. Too bad, Verwoerd is DEAD, rockspider.
Gross! Sticking a racial slur into the title of a fic! Really, you are just disgusting and gross.
And just to make sure, you go to all the trouble of explaining the etymology of the slur so there can be no giving you the benefit of the doubt.
And to top it off, you've named your character after two of the most vicious white-supremacist scumbags ever to dip their claws in African blood.
I have zero interest in reading this obvious white supremacist screed - more of the same WhiteMan'sBurdenMasterRace Leni Riefenstahl Triomf tosh I grew up with. Verwoerd is dead, oupa, go back to your Brakpan hole.
Did you notice at all that Terry Pratchett himself was ENGLISH? That's right, oupa, the same country whose derogatory slur you named your whole fic after. He would roll in his grave to hear he'd been taken up by white nationalist Afrikaner scum like you.
NO Love!
Amaure chapter 1 . 5/4
I like how the main characters met each other, I love the plot and everything about this book. Good job writer! If you have some great stories like this one, you can publish it on Novel Star, just submit your story to hardy novelstar. top or joye novelstar. top
GuesssWho chapter 35 . 3/21/2019
Always good to see that dear Mr. Teatime has gotten his immortality.
GuesssWho chapter 27 . 3/21/2019
Richard Upton Pickman, eh? And I've always liked The Yellow Wallpaper. Rest cures really were a terrible idea . . .
Fenno-Swede here chapter 58 . 1/7/2019
As to your footnote no.1, grammatically correct Finnish would be Suomen leijonat, (the) Lions of Finland. 'Suomen' being the genitive case, and 'leijonat' the nominative plural. Though personally, I think any Finnish reader would accept it as fact that the Swommi language on Discworld has gone forth and developed quirky and bizarre grammar all of its own. It keeps doing that on Roundworld as well. :-) If you're in need of other national sports, we also have rubber boot throwing, wife-carrying and extreme sauna championships (though the last one was discontinued in 2010, when one of the contestants died and another was seriously injured.)

I've been on a rereading kick of your Assassinverse (first time around was in 2014, IIRC) and I'm completely bowled over by the way it's been evolving behind my back, must definitely keep a closer watch from now on. All the best wishes to you and your muses.
cklammer chapter 59 . 12/23/2018
We finished this one together - mea reading and you writing :-)

Very, very cool.

The Apartheid scenes made shivers run up and down my backs.

I am really looking forward to book 2.
Brithund chapter 59 . 12/19/2018
And you've done it again! A fine chapter in the high-energy life of Miss Exothermic Device herself.
Takes me back to Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy days, when Zaphod Beeblebrox is thrown into the Total Perspective Vortex (sort of the opposite of Sensory Deprivation really, you see EVERYTHING and your own infinitesimal place in it.) Most people go violently insane, their sense of Self irrevocably shattered; Zaphod walks out grinning, and Famke does nearly as well with her equivalent.
I'm still wondering if there's an Agatean equivalent to Kodo Drumming. Percussion done as a martial art? Very Assassins' orchestra. Something Miss Tykebomb might just possibly like?
Mary Craig chapter 58 . 12/13/2018
Thank you for the story, Mr Pessimal :D
I have thoroughly enjoyed every single chapter, and looked forward to every new addition.
Discworld might well have begun in TP's mind, but you have very roundly enriched your own offshoots.
I like the whole family and friends over time background to this tale, and hope you've enjoyed the writing as much as I have the reading thereof.
Kind regards, Mary
Brithund chapter 58 . 12/13/2018
And so Part One finishes, very nicely, as Chapter 1 began. A neat touch!
So, Bekki's moving in as the local witch? Any Bogeyman turning up at THAT plaas is likely to end up being educated. As in "This is Mister Fireball, sub-kiloton yield... say hello, Mister Fireball!"
Hmm. Hanna has her insignia a pair of stylised lightning bolts? Seems familiar somehow... can't think where. Possibly looking a bit runic?
A great chapter - have a great Christmas / Hogswatch, and may the Hogfather bring you great heaps pf black pudding!
bissek chapter 58 . 12/13/2018
The railroad would also be very interested in that clock. Here on Roundworld, time zones were invented by the train lines because east-west trains could go far enough in a day that adding the travel time to the start time as recorded by a clock set by the sun at station A could be substantially different than the time as recorded by a clock set by the sun at station B. So they had to work out a way to have all the trains agree to what time it was so that multiple trains wouldn't end up trying to use the same track at the same time. Some train lines even required conductors to have watches that met a minimum standard of precision so they could keep track of how they were keeping up with the schedule, a bit of guaranteed business I'm sure the clockmakers guild of Ankh-Morpork would appreciate.
rga156 chapter 58 . 12/13/2018
Congratulations on finishing Book One, and on a lovely final cadence too!

So many threads for you to choose from in Book 2, or indeed as standalone stories :-D

It seems churlish to remind you of other unfinished stories...

... so I won't. But congratulations once again!
Freyalyn chapter 58 . 12/12/2018
That is a rather good ending, sleeping safely in a bed with a large dog sleeping with her.

Thank you for a wonderful story. I'm looking forward to part two.
Brithund chapter 56 . 10/22/2018
Very nice tale!
Hmm. Bekki is cramming tricky mathematics (or is it mathe-magicks?) on how time of day works on the Diskworld. Ruth is building something with gears that could help her. My guess is she's working on a Discworld orrery - the Roundworld ones have a clockwork simulation of how the planets and moons rotate in their orbits. Want to find the position of Mars in 6 months time? Turn the crank. A Discworld version would also keep exact track of day and night across the disc. If Ruth can get it into music-box size, a very handy thing for a pegasus rider to have in the saddlebag!