Reviews for The Fourth Council Race
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 29 . 11/28/2020
Nicely done and glad you doing ok
doug89 chapter 29 . 11/28/2020
Great chapter.

With the emphasis on modular design, some more fuckery is possible. After the first eight, the SA could simply build a few more without the guns. Use them for other purposes, or keep them mothballed. Even if it's 2.2km long, it doesn't have a gun longer than 800 meters, so it's not a dreadnought under the treaty.

The SA could even keep all the parts needed on standby to rapidly convert them to dreadnoughts. It's the old "it's not a gunship, the helicopter and the rocket pods are being shipped separately" trick. If a full war breaks out, go ahead and upgrade. If a dreadnought is lost in combat, a new one can be deployed as fast as they can install the gun. If a dreadnought needs shipyard time for upgrades or damage, strip out it's gun first and install it or a spare in a spare hull to take its place in the fleet.
Bearmauls chapter 29 . 11/28/2020
Building dreadnoughts like that does seem... provocative. I also don't see dreadnoughts being what you'd want if the main goal is anti-piracy and anti-Batarian work. You need frigates and cruisers for that, fast mobile fleet elements that can cover a large area.

It's not like the SA can take a standup fight with the big 3 Citadel races anyway, and I don't see how that's a reasonable short-term goal. They got lucky against the Turians, the Asari and Salarians aren't really into stand-up fights in terms of their combat doctrine. I hope there's a more subtle purpose at work here, otherwise I'll have lost some respect for the good Admiral.
The Scholarly Seraphim chapter 29 . 11/28/2020
And as always you manage to deliver a chapter that moves the plot forward with politic intrigue and machinations without compromising the flow of the story. Well done!

The Aztec, while having the stated above problems, may also be a liability to the economy having 2.2 kilometers of metal and Element Zero is not going to be cheap. That said however, the departure of the canon design philosophy is very exciting; and I can't help but wonder how you're going to handle smaller ship classes like frigates and cruisers? Take more inspiration from Halo, as impractical as some of those designs are? Or perhaps a page out of Children of a Dead Earth? Either way, I'll enjoy it either way.

Stay safe.
tom476ty18 chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Wow

The System Alliance doesn't get a break, haven't they? Just one issue solve comes another.

I guess Project Argo will either be modified to be a massive Aircraft carrier or they are going to keep the Dreadnought design but suffer the backlash from the other races.

But anyway, As our history has shown, Aircraft carriers are more effective at power projection than dreadnoughts at this point. A single 2.2 km Aircraft carrier is scarier than a dreadnought with extreme firepower. If your dreads can be taken out by swarms of fighters carrying misslies. What is the point of having a dreadnought with extreme firepower, if they can be taken out before they even see their target?

But then again a great chapter I am looking forward to reading the next.
fireball900 chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Oh God, that sounds hilarious. The STG managing to successfully decode a project that has been decided against by the leadership.
belnonm chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Hi, good to read this story again,

The Aztec class might be too big and I agree the Hierarchy wouldn't accept that. On the other hand, that's the perfect size for super-carriers with multiple canons of 39 kilotons and multiple wings of interceptors, bombers, multi-role fighters and even corvettes (frigates might be too much... what is the definition of overkill?) It is still in the same logic of quality over quantity but more subtle. OTL, it should have been the objective of the SA, dammit our history have proven that carriers beat battleship in naval battle and can accomplish more types of operations. Btw, the submarines also add to the death of battleships, I can't wait to read of your version of stealth spaceship.

I am surprised there is 9% of votes for OSA, is there really that many people living out of Sol? OTL, if I remember there is Terra Nova the biggest colony is only 30 millions people after close of 50 years of colonization when there is 11,4 billion people on Earth.. I know ME lore is bad on these things but colonization is very slow at the beginning and Human are made for Earth, all others worlds would need a very slow process of adaption.

I still love this story very much, good continuation!
FuryJoe chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
great story
Pyrforos chapter 1 . 11/27/2020
*only for the them to be converted to carriers. I wonder how

(messed that part of the review lol)
Pyrforos chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Oh boy, Oraka is going to have an aneurysm of epic proportions. Are we looking at the birth of the Alliance carrier? I mean i doubt the Citadel will take this lightly and probably put a stop to the project only for them to be converted to how many drones, fighters and bomber a 2.2km ship can carry :P Nice to see you back mate, waiting for the next chapter.
Fishman498 chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Good to see this story again.
Rewatched yes minister recently and the reference with the council was very much appreciated.
Keep it up and stay safe
Lord Halcyon chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
In reading this I am starkly reminded of the British comedy series Yes Minister, in any case, great chapter and I cant wait to read more.

-Lord Halcyon
srosnan99 chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Now the only thing that I could think of when reading this was that, somebody have been watching yes minister.

That and a few minor plot that I would like to ask. What actually happened to the USA and China? They were portrayed as a national level powerhouse but ultimately disappeared from this story.

Why? Sure the main focus is the SA but to essentially be just swept up its internal politics, earth politics at that under the rug seem like a cheap way out.

Even if they were "defeated" they would at least work their way in into the SA. To have at least salvage something or to have some sway in the SA. I mean look at the UN, nations even if they are isolationist are not dumb enough to just be outgrown by some external power.

The focused on the political scene seem to show the demographic of ideologies that mark the SA political arena.

But I can't for the life of me say this is accurate. We are shown the perspective from the political elite and mass media. The common perception might be different. This in reason give me no answer on why some of the political party act the way they are.

Can't see the pacifistic arm of humanity control a somewhat large seat when they are surrounded by enemies, literally slavers and hostile great powers.

This reaction feels more artificial than it is reactionary. But again because of the lack of information from the common political stage this could easily be explained.

The governmental aspect also gnaw at me sometimes. I can't say for certain because of my own country politics, but when a country or an organization is in a state of conflict wouldn't a more homogeneous government be in power or at leats those that have the same underlying principle.

But the way the myriad of representative of Ministers seems to me as if the sovereign body is in a state of hallucination for some utopian ideals. Even if this was a coalition of party, the ministerial posts given seems to be arbitrary. Then again this could be caused by the lack of context.

Overall I think I just need more context, not only from the ruling class but also from the common man. With all this talks of political maneuvering (internally and externally) is quite hard to wrap ones head around when there isn't enough info on the culture, ideologies, and settings.

That's why when we see this type of stories most if not all have this singular or similar mindset to easily established a connection. But when the SA have this so many ideologies, movements, and parties it would need more reasons on why it came that way.
AceofAcesMobius1 chapter 5 . 11/27/2020
Nitpicking an old fic, but I would argue a stronger example of the Shock and Awe Turian doctrine in Earth History to be the French when they were big into √Član and the attack during anywhere from the medieval period to ww1's first few months. Or, more creatively, the United States's or Russia's artillery doctrines of "blow them all to hell"
ZooFan chapter 29 . 11/27/2020
Glad to see another update from you! It seems like the human race is doing well now, but not for long cause of some nosy amphibians people
1,466 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »