Reviews for The Fourth Council Race
Apocryphax chapter 29 . 12/24/2021
So I recently found this fic while searching for alternate first contact fics, Mass Effect being my favourite Sci-Fi franchise (at least the trilogy).

I gotta say, this fic is just incredible. Almost thirty chapters into the story and around 200k words and we have yet to reach when ME takes place. What we have instead is a frankly astounding amount of truly impressive world building. The amount of love, care and research that must've gone into writing all of this is almost absurd. I am beyond impressed! I don't know how relevant this is now considering you wrote about the fates of USA and China what I assume to be years ago... But I still feel the need to say that I found it believable and reasonable. I couldn't really understand flaming a story for a fictional representation of my country, but I guess I'll just never understand some people.

Now I realize that this story hasn't been updated in a little over a year (although it seems you're working on other stories from what I can see), so I'm not sure if you are still actively working on this. It's truly a shame I didn't find this until now because it's taken a meteoric rise to the top of my favourites list, and I've read a lot of stuff both on here and on AO3. Hopefully the chapters that take place now and in the future require slightly less research from you simply to defend your position from internet trolls. If you ever need someone to pitch ideas to for this story consider me a volunteer, although I take it from your ANs that you already have one. So take it as a vote of confidence, at the very least!

I like how you have made humanity's rise reasonable (from where I'm sitting) in that they're hilariously outmatched on a lot of fronts, but they're willing to try a lot of stuff that the other races hadn't considered and such. Them trying to stablish relations with the Quarians was very interesting (Tali will always be my favourite companion). I did like how they didn't just solve everything even with a positive outcome, causing a schism in both Quarians and Geth alike. I was invested in the back and forth of the Peace Summit as if it was the suicide mission In ME2. Somehow you manage to write politics to be exciting, which I find to be impressive to say the least.

In short I'd say this fic validates my decision to still read Fanfiction even though it's been years. What a ride.

I'm looking forward to more! Hopefully I'll still be here if/when you decide to return, and COVID won't have managed to kill me off. Thank you very much for this fic, it's a treat.
tuskedkibbles chapter 14 . 12/19/2021
I've never actually left a review before, dozens of fics and millions of words. I consider it a good thing I care enough lol.

I really love it so far. Very interesting seeing someone actually take the time to write about how the alliance became what it did. It's also always great find fics that are written well and aren't first drafts made by someone with a 6th grade reading level.

I can only imagine the "alright here comes the shitstorm" you went through when publishing this chapter lol. It was destined to get ugly really no matter what as like you said, China and America had to be sidelined in order for the alliance to match canon and both have plenty of 'excitable' nationalists that don't like their countries being put in a negative light or affected negatively.

Like i said, loving it so far, but I am going to say that in my personal irrelevant to your story opinion, some mistakes were made here. Nothing major and ultimately its just background as i imagine the story going forward is about the alliance and mankind as a whole.

Also ignore the idiots who are questioning you about the US constitution and stuff like that (insert 'why are you booing me? I'm right' meme), and please forgive my overzealous countrymen who don't know Jack about our laws, I'm sure your country has plenty of them too (don't we all?). That said, there's a few things that are definitely pretty oof and make it very obvious you're not American (which you may be very grateful for lol).

Best comparison I can make is that some things you went with are the equivalent of making the irl UK stay together forever because 'they are all English people so why do they want their own country?' It just shows a massive lack of understanding about the culture groups of the UK (from the edits it looks like you're British? Forgive me if that's incorrect). The civil war alright yeah (its even Canon for what little that's worth given how bioware clearly didn't care about pre alliance stuff), but the independence of everyone in the US is yikes. Like ireland rejoins the UK happily because they both speak english kind of yikes. I really wish you had sought an American beta to bounce these ideas off. They would've been able to shed some light on this.

I'm actually very surprised you decided to diverge from Canon about North America's fate when you referenced Canon a ton as your reasoning for actions. But like I mentioned earlier, I imagine it won't have any serious impact going forward regardless so I suppose it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the story you made. If anything I applaud you for having the guts to knowingly piss off a ton of people and probably lose a few hundred readers. That's a shame as I think they're going to miss out a ton.

Ok wall of text at its end. Again, really enjoying it and am excited to see where it goes from here.
Guest chapter 29 . 11/28/2021
And you have a ASOIAF fic, headed there now!
Guest chapter 29 . 11/28/2021
Felt like watching game of thrones, (not the later bits); Couldn’t put it down. Very keen for more if/when you decide to share it.
StoneTheLoner chapter 1 . 11/6/2021
I mean... If the Communist Party is steadily heading towards ruin, and that isn't seen as a bad outcome, wasn't this kind of the perfect time to let that happen? Yeah, it was going to be a huge hit economically, and definitely a war. But the rest of the world was united at that point. It isn't a war they could've won while their government was collapsing, they suddenly didn't have the same tools as everyone else, and people were rebelling their rule (What with the government collapsing. Hard to suppress dissent when that's happening, so everything that was previously supressed would suddenly explode into motion).

And they had spaceships. Industry was about to boom in a major way as a new market opened up. The rest of the world could probably struggle through a brief period until the new market. What would China's recourse be? Power and money was suddenly out in the stars, not down on the planet. And the US looked like the gatekeepers to that power.

Idk. I'm saying things probably would've balanced out enough the option wouldn't have been off the table. The new would make the old and bad worth dealing with if it meant getting rid of it. An economic hit and war, but space brings with it economy and power, so... It's just the way things are portrayed doesn't show China having as much political power as they had. Enough to demand all that and still get a great deal. It was a (And probably IS tbh) nation on the outs, dependant on all the factories and products made for other nations (And favorable tax laws) to survive.

That's not a strong negotiating position. But instead, they kind of just saved Communist China, didn't they? Ensure they wouldn't collapse for a very long time. Continue being a dangerous and unfriendly communist "superpower". Or rather they actually will be a superpower now in ways that aren't dependant on all the stuff for every other nation.
Speedster1014 chapter 15 . 11/1/2021
SO if FCW is 45 years early can you explain how canon characters are present or is that more authors choice
Speedster1014 chapter 13 . 11/1/2021
Sabayon! Joakim is god
Speedster1014 chapter 12 . 11/1/2021
So cool with the tractor beams
Speedster1014 chapter 9 . 11/1/2021
So alliance high command has a rear admiral? Amy be confused but US only has adrimarls on board?
Speedster1014 chapter 1 . 11/1/2021
So f-ing we’ll done. It’s the best fic I have of the SA being founded that isn’t a Halo cross over. Laos thanks for the bespin Venus. Would you consider giving more scenes about about how mass effect fields were first developed as they were mentioned in the codex
benjamin.r.tillson chapter 29 . 10/31/2021
Greatly appreciate the Wheel of Time reference in this chapter.
DiamondbackGunne chapter 29 . 10/4/2021
This story was so good I randomly was reminded of it, re-read it and fell in love again.

Hope you update it again.
TSFreedom chapter 29 . 10/4/2021
Great chapter and story so far .
Fanfic21011 chapter 23 . 9/14/2021
Hey! fanfic21011 here. Just wanted to point something out- I think "Assembly of Knowledge" would be "Gyaan ka Sabha"
Fanfic21011 chapter 14 . 9/14/2021
You clearly did your homework, chief.
1,466 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »