Reviews for The Gift
DowntonAbbey4ever chapter 47 . 1/12/2021
Brilliant. loved every word.
lilyrowan1 chapter 47 . 12/26/2019
Oh, what a perfect conclusion to this Christmas story! I can just picture the scene with Robert at the reins and Matthew as Father Christmas arriving, and the children exclaiming! I'm glad Elinor is getting her horse, and what a wonderful Christmas present for George that he'll be with his cousin at Rugby. So happy to have Pearce being given another chance. Thank you for this Christmas present!
lilyrowan1 chapter 46 . 12/26/2019
So sorry it has taken me so long to read and review this chapter and the next! But what a Christmas treat! I love how Elinor and Sybbie are versions of their mothers, and Mary's honest appraisal of herself in comparison to Sybil, Matthew, and George. Matthew's account of his time at Rugby was wrenching, but good that he could share it with George. And how awful for George. Hopefully, as George gains confidence in himself through his work at the hall, he'll be able to push back against the bullying he himself is facing. And poor Pearce! I know that whatever he did has to be something he was justified in doing. I hope he gets a second chance. Good for George standing up for him and for Matthew being willing to listen!
lilyrowan1 chapter 45 . 12/26/2019
So happy that you set your Christmas story in this universe! I love seeing the teenaged Elinor interacting with Mary and George with Matthew. As always, you seamlessly weave historical events with the story. I’m betting that the redemption and lesson you mention in your author’s note concerns Pearce, and I can’t wait to find out his story. Looking forward to Part 2!
Naniee chapter 47 . 12/25/2019
Wonderful! Love it :)) Happy Christmas to all!
kyrandiana chapter 47 . 12/25/2019
Lovely chapter and happy Christmas to you as well
Bullock chapter 47 . 12/25/2019
What a lovely conclusion. Pearce’s job is saved, Anna found love again after all these years, George and Jack are going to be schoolmates, Sam is reconnecting with his parents, and the Crawley family enjoy a wonderful Christmas.

Merry Christmas, ameliapemerson!
ClassicWoman chapter 47 . 12/25/2019
Matthew as Father Christmas and yet another nice little Dickens note on which to end the tale - perfect! Thank you so much, and Merry Christmas!
Guest chapter 47 . 12/25/2019
Sweet! Merry Christmas! AND THANK YOU!
eyeon chapter 46 . 12/23/2019
Good thinking on George's part that the original accusation might not be true. Too bad it apparently was. What a great gift to all of us that there's another chapter! Are you sure Sybbie would br a Lady, since her father isn't titled?
A very Merry Christmas to you!
Guest chapter 46 . 12/22/2019
Thank you for this addition. YES, it is hard to let these characters go. Not just M/M, but Edith and Sybil too. Happy you included updates on those 2 here also.
kyrandiana chapter 46 . 12/22/2019
Can’t wait for more please update
Bullock chapter 46 . 12/22/2019
From a two-parter to a three-parter. Now that’s a Christmas gift.

I love that the bond between the Crawley children has endured after all these years.

Great bonding moment between Matthew and George.

I can’t interested to learn Pearce’s full story.

Nice nod to The Man Who Invented Christmas.
eyeon chapter 45 . 12/10/2019
What a wonderful chapter! I especially like that it requires a follow on! Even if you did in the immortal Dowager! I like the idea off them having a lot of kids! I do hope George is in no danger. Very entertaining family breakfast! Great research.
Bullock chapter 45 . 12/8/2019
What a delightful surprise!

I can understand your reluctance to let go of this version of the Crawleys. They are a lovable bunch.

I was surprised that you’ve set this two-parter during The Great Depression, having expressed some reservation to me about taking the story that far. But I think you are doing a great job portraying the impact of that period on the family.

Sad about Violet but I’m glad Isobel is still around. It also puts a smile on my face to know that George has grown into a bright young man with a need for independence like his father.

What a twist about George’s friend. I hope there is a way to resolve the situation that won’t result in him getting fired.