Reviews for Boggarts and monsters
Shadewolf7 chapter 30 . 6/25
In the books, it's described as 'a binding magical contract', but consequences are never stated. In fact, most consequences are not stated. Whether that's because the consequences are unknown because it is literally impossible to back out (i.e. something will force conditions to be met) or because no one dares back out because they're afraid of unspecified consequences, or whether it's one of those things where 'everyone knows so no one bothers to specify' wizarding common knowledge is also unspecified. Personally, I'm leaning in the 'circumstances will force it' direction, just for something different. Say, Harry tries to refuse and something ridiculous happens (like the movie's escaping dragon going on a flight-rampage, which definitely did not happen in the books) and thus drags him in anyway.
speedster101 chapter 30 . 6/24
Nice to see Harry to make an appearance as for your question the consequences was the loss of his magic.
Decisions Decisions chapter 30 . 6/24
try the exorcist hahaha
The Arcticourt Spellwright chapter 30 . 6/23
I have no clue. But the idea of Voldie's plan being thrown off because Harry or Cedric was armed with a boggart is appealing beyond words.

Also, I wonder: If a boggart could turn into a homing pigeon, could it find its way back to Hogwarts on its own?
OyaLightning chapter 30 . 6/19
I think WHAT IF at the end of this the kids will write a thesis and become the world's leading expert on Boggarts, might even get visit from Newt Scamander, the classification of Boggarts gets redefined, they get attention from other magical countries and Magical Creatures leading to greater interaction and allying both during the war and after leading to a Renaissance of multi cultural magical creatures and peoples...I'm spiraling but it could be cool.
KyonSmith13 chapter 30 . 6/16
Great story. I am surprised we haven't seen any SCPs or Lovecraftian eldritch beings. With most movies and TV shows being banned, written works are the next big treasure trove of nightmare fuel.
DGJabberwocky chapter 30 . 6/15
Are we gonna get some dinosaurs?
luffy1996 chapter 30 . 6/14
Do you think you could do some SCP's? i wonder how reality benders like the scarlet king have their powers recreated by a boggart
NAI SadeMusicLover chapter 27 . 6/12
when the lights go out. whovians anywhere else in the world...
Fuck Vasta Nerada
whovians in South Africa...
Dammit Eskom
IceBlueRose chapter 30 . 6/10
You know, I don't remember if they ever stated the consequences in the books? I know most fics have the consequences be loss of his magic but I'm pretty sure the book doesn't say. I'm actually opening up my digital copy now to check. And nope. Nothing. Here's all they say about it:

‘Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this Tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the Tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the Goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are whole-heartedly prepared to play, before you drop your name into the Goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Goodnight to you all.’

All Crouch says in the next chapter is that the rules say that if someone's name comes out of the Goblet then they're bound to compete. Which actually boggles my mind now that I think about it because why on Earth would they put their name in with such a vague warning? That's like signing a contract without signing it, yeesh.

Anyway, this story has had me laughing so very often (though I literally yelled at my screen "Why?! That poor Hufflepuff!" over Chucky's first appearance - there may have been some swearing involved; I saw it when I was 4 and it was first released on VHS and needless to say even if I can watch it now, that stuck with me, lol) but I really loved this chapter and Harry finding a muggleborn who has no clue who he is beyond "Yeah, you're famous." I love that there's a cinema club and that the rom coms have been banned for some reason. And the Angels from Doctor Who! As soon as I read "Don't blink." I was like, well, they're screwed. I'm looking forward to what you come up with next!
Aidarayyyyy chapter 8 . 6/10
HAHAHAHA
Gullwingyunie chapter 30 . 6/10
Consequences are his magic is stripped however it is unclear if he could survive that, I don’t believe it was ever stated one way or another but it is treated as though losing it is a death sentence for a wizard, Personally I don’t think he was ever bound to the contract, Its just a combo of wizardry stupidity and voldemorts dumbles manipulations
Henerala chapter 30 . 6/9
You are doing AMAZING with this story. And yes, it is a story; a very amusing story, actually. I don't know if you have a plan to continue this, but if you do, please know that I will be looking forward to reading every single chapter you will dish out. Thanks for the enjoyable read!

-Henerala
Alyce and Indi chapter 30 . 6/9
I don't remember what the book says the consequences are, or if they're ever specified, but it probably does exactly nothing if Harry doesn't compete, because Barty Crouch Jr. enters Harry's name and gets no consequences for not competing. I guess he was just counting on fear to drive Harry into competing? That could have gone wrong so very easily. Like if Harry had said, "you know what, I'm not competing. Whoever entered my name can if they want, but I won't."

-Indigo
Zyber Elthone chapter 30 . 6/8
While I don't recall the canon listed penalty, most people go with loss of magic (which might as well be a death sentence in the eyes of most purebloods). There are other fics that specifically have it be binding only if he participates in the First Task willingly, though this is usually something Harry learns after it's too late and is usually part of the overarching manipulative!Dumbledore theme of the specific fics.

The fun fics that actually don't have Harry compete have someone else lose their magic (Barty Jr for entering him, but one had Snape lose his magic too (Harry may or may not have had future knowledge, but he definitely played Dumbledore into making Snape Harry's guardian and Second Task Hostage, even though Harry never participated not completed the First Task)).

This chapter was by far my favorite, though I did just binge the whole thing today after finding it through reddit. Harry's reaction to the xeno had me struggling not to laugh out loud (not helped by me picturing him hugging it instead of just standing in front of it like an offering), but I loved the idea of playing fetch with one.

Two main questions: one, will Harry be seeking to have a pet boggart after having fun with the xenopmorph cum flying monkey? And two, did Harry still learn the patronus spell and if so, how without a boggart dementor to test against?
1,041 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »