Reviews for And Moon Rides High
AndurilofTolkien chapter 1 . 2/17/2017
nice job
rs chapter 1 . 6/25/2005
wow, i thouroughly enjoy your stories. all characters speak like they should.. the mood and thoughts of everyone are well written. please keep writing. i am so glad i discovered your fics.

rs
adsh chapter 2 . 3/26/2004
wonderful characterizations...and a very good grasp on "Tolkien speak"...continue soon
Theresa Green chapter 2 . 7/23/2003
I thoroughly enjoyed your story!

You have done very well indeed to capture the desolation of the elf in the aftermath of battle. I think that you are absolutely right that Legolas would be unable to comfort and tend to the wounded as Aragorn and Gimli can do. He would definitely feel redundant.

The section in which Legolas sees the dead elves is particularly moving. I think your image of the orcs covering the elves in a kind of distorted embrace is a strong one. I also like the way you describe the elves as beautiful even in death.

Your characterisation of Eowyn is excellent. You manage to convey her frustration and bravery so well. I got a real sense of her strength and independence, and her disatisfaction with her allotted role.

I think my very favourite lines in your story are: "Gimli had been forever in the day near Legolas, watching him with keen dark eyes. Out of respect for Legolas' sensibilities as well as his own, he had done them both the courtesy of pretending not to." This sums up the nature of their relationship beautifully.

Well done and keep up the good work!
Dot1 chapter 2 . 7/9/2003
*sigh* I love this story. It's such an amazing portrayal of Legolas and the utter incomprehension he feels.

It's so beautiful the way you show him slowly moving through emotions - the realisation that he fears death only when it takes away those he loves, the futility of war and its sapping of innocence and of course that truly brilliant scene where he comes across the elves who have died.

I really loved the part where you describe Gimli watching over him and both pretending not to notice the other's sorrow.

That scene with Eowyn was so lovely as well. I had never thought before how they share the fear of being alone and left grieving for those they love.

Such a marvellous piece of work!:)
Sphinx chapter 2 . 7/9/2003
You've been busy this week, havent you?

Again, I cant really explain how you tweaked this, but you did. Some of the extended descriptions, particularly in the beginning, when Legolas talks about the 'unending dying' and the twitching of his fingers when trying to find the arrows, those were just masterful.

*raises eyebrow* You do know that I'm running out of words to praise, yes?

One thing, though. Both Eomer and Legolas refer to Aragorn as 'King' once each in the story. If you're going with movie verse, as you've mentioned in your author's note, you should think about changing that. Legolas calling Aragorn 'king' is fine, but Eomer, Thoeden and Eowyn dont know his royal lineage just yet. In the book they do. Minor thing!

Ahh...am still in the leaping stage. Havent stopped griinning all day. My parents are now thinking I'm a bit nuts...

Who cares?

Until later...mail me if you cant decipher the last plot bit I sent...
daw the minstrel chapter 2 . 7/9/2003
Nice take on this time after the battle. It's hard to even guess where they might have found the hope and strength to go on after the terror and slaughter, but you seem to have done a good job of giving them something to believe in.
JastaElf chapter 2 . 7/9/2003
Wow. That was... wow.

Gimli and Legolas not noticing things about one another... brilliantly done, nicely understated, very fine piece of work there.

Exhaustion in everyone... no one's partying in this aftermath...

And poor exhausted, grieving Eowyn! The interaction between she and Legolas was very nicely done, especially the part about the tears. And he gives her back a part of herself:

"dawn is approaching, shieldmaiden..."

"You shall lower your head for none, Lady..."

Great stuff. What a marvellous story! Thank you!
JastaElf chapter 1 . 7/9/2003
Oh, Joanna, you've done it again... (grin) what an excellent piece! Poor Legolas... such a situation, such pain... and such a typical Legolas reaction to it all.

Loved the bit where Gimli was being "fatherly"... (smile)

And life has come out of the death... must read second chapter now! Thank you for another neat tale!
boromir chapter 1 . 7/7/2003
do more stories like this!
bladefanatic chapter 1 . 6/22/2003
Loved this story...on my way to read Eowyn's part. I thought that showing Leggy's "break down" was excellant. It reminded me of when Orlando Bloom said that he tried to make Leggy look somewhat helpless and baffled (sp?) after his friends deaths.

Wonderful!
Nell-Marie chapter 1 . 6/7/2003
This was very touching, and very realistic, at least as I would imagine such things to be. You portrayed the different reactions of the main characters extremely well and their anger and despair comes across clearly.

I really enjoyed this, and I'm off to read the other stories in this series, and any more you may have written . . .

NM
A Lurker chapter 1 . 5/15/2003
I'm not one for reviews, but I just had to applaud your writing. You capture and express emotions so incredibly well, and your characters are also very believable. I may not leave reviews for all your stories I've read, but I could say the same for them as well. You should be proud of the excellent writing you produce. Thanks for sharing it.
Kaz chapter 1 . 3/27/2003
Wow another brilliant little fic!

I loved it, the characterisation is superb :)

Well done :o)

Love Kaz

xx
littlericepot chapter 1 . 3/14/2003
OMG! that is so good! so sad too! my friend barbara read it and then sent the link to me... hehehe... i am not a fan of LOTR but this is so good! you'll know what i am into... just read my bio... heheheeh... *whispers* Harry Potter... Draco/Hermione pairing.. my fav.. heheheh... well... write more! i'm sure my friend will find the fics for me! I bid you a good day and i hope you will have a good time writng more fics along with many reviews.

Respectfully Yours,