Reviews for Realm of the Horned Rat
Nomad chapter 3 . 10/12
Yeah finally a fanfic about the Lizardmen (seraphim) in the mass effect universe. Don’t stop!
Nomad chapter 3 . 10/11
Awesome been waiting for a war hammer crossover with mass effect with the Lizardmen or seraphim as they are called in age of sigmar
TheThirdScribe chapter 2 . 10/9
Yes-yes, we shall enslave the Four-eye-things and kill-murder anyone who dares-try to oppose-fight great-mighty Skaven.
Seriously though, this is something that should have been done way earlier and I am happy that it now has been done.
I would mostly like to see the strugle of the Citadel races, to try to cope with the pure evil awsomeness that are the Skaven.
As a last tip, try to write longer chapters (mostly so I can have more of a good thing).
May the Great Hornend Rat watch over you
RedRobin457 chapter 3 . 10/11
Nice to see the Lizardmen in space. I'm playing a campaign as Mazdumundi and it was nice seeing he made it out.
Emberframe chapter 3 . 10/11
wow awesome its like that ork story but better
Fylch chapter 2 . 10/9
Fylch is happy-pleased with idea-plan man-thing has for this word-story.

Be careful-cautious not to do the word-story bad-wrong or we will make-turn man-thing into prisoner-food!
Bobb chapter 2 . 10/8
I'll simply say this, your story is enjoying to read and I can't wait to find out how it develops.
ATP chapter 1 . 10/8
Thanks to you,i start feel pity for Batarian and it your story good?
DasPeas chapter 2 . 10/10
Oh-oh yes-yes! This is looking good so far I wish you would add the lizardmen maybe the future as you mentioned some survived
Rook435 chapter 2 . 10/9
Well that sure was an action packed chapter, makes me wonder who the main character will be for the Skaven. Also I am not sure if this is a mistake or not, but would writing the number make it flow better than just the number, for example "eight packs of three each" instead of 8 packs of 3 each." It varies a lot so that is why I am unsure. Basically trying to assist.
Erandor chapter 2 . 10/9
13/13 for creativity.
OverDemon chapter 2 . 10/9
Interesting chapter, I had some thoughts on the story if you don’t mind. Just observations and small ideas, I respect any direction you want to take the story in -. I assume that what we have seen here are the Slave Rats and a look into Skaven naval weapons and tactics? It’s nice to see that Skaven still utilise their tactic of disposable meatshields before the real soldiers. It’s also interesting to see that their ships use primarily Warp-based weaponry along with the usual Skaven tactic of overwhelming numbers. Also, it’s good to see the Batarians finally get a taste of their own medicine :D

From what I can tell from this (which is limited) Skaven still have the same strengths and weaknesses we know from Warhammer. Ground troops are mostly fodder with low discipline, easily changed moral and poor quality weapons. Just an endless wave of death coming towards you, unless you can break their spirit.

This seems to be applied to their space warfare as well. Many fighters and ships, but of low quality. What’s interesting is their weapons (that we’ve seen), which seems to use Warp sorcery, which destroy the crew rather than the ship. This allows them to capture and strip the enemies ships for their own use much easier. The way the navy is designed also allow you to balance their military strength to avoid them becoming too overpowered.

Skaven naval strength: Large number of ships and fighters, Shield bypassing weaponry.
Skaven naval weakness: Poor structural integrity, Long weapon charge time.

This seems to reflect the Skaven tendency for low quality, mass produced weapons.

I expect that there may be exceptions to this. Some warlord whose personal flagship might be a titan of Skaven engineering, better built and better equipped, and I assume such units as Storm Vermin will feature actual high tech weapons and armor of much better quality?

So, it will be interesting to see where thing go from here. It’s not the first fic I’ve read where a conflict with the Batarians is the opening setting. I’m curious whether the System Alliance still exist, but that would open the question why humans exist on two planets and may not make sense. What will be really fascinating will be what happens when the rest of the galaxy hears about the Skaven. I tend not to approve of putting species in a box (Turians want to conquer them, Salarians want to study them), and while some will definitely argue that approach it will be interesting to see what they actually do.

I can see this story move in two possible general directions. Both depend heavily on what Skaven leadership looks like after the Horned Rat is now physically manifested in the universe. Before, the only reason Skaven didn’t overrun the Old World was their disunity. Disunity can be a good explanation for why the Skaven is the most powerful race in the universe but don’t just conquer all they lay eye on, but why they still can resist the full might of the Citadel when they band together in common defense. And if disunity exist, then who's to say that different clans might not take different approaches to how they handle the Citadel (That also pose the interesting question on how the Citadel deals with a race split into warring factions, something I can’t recall existing in the Mass Effect universe to such a huge degree).

One possible path deals with the all-out war between the Skaven and the Citadel. Makes sense since the Skaven race is aggressive, greedy and intolerant of other races by nature. I generally enjoy seeing the story unfold from both sides of the conflict, something you already did here in chapter 2. However, an entire story about a war might get repetitive after too long.

The other possibility deals with a conflict between one or more of the Mass Effect races and the Skaven, peace being made after some months or more fighting (I don’t see the Skaven losing so I imagine it will be peace to avoid too much loss on either side), and how the war and the introduction of the Skaven to the galaxy change things. From there it’s politics, espionage other types of backstabbing, and the occasional war as neither the Citadel nor the Skaven are satisfied with being equals.

However the story proceed I do hope the following things DON’T happen. I just feel they would be wrong for the story:

#1: The Skaven become a Citadel race (I can’t see them giving up power).
#2: The Citadel reverse engineer Skaven technology (It got warpstone. Even if they could understand it, how would they avoid horribly mutating or dying?).
#3: The Salarians genophage the Skaven (Even if they weren't magically created, the Skaven rolls in disease on a daily basis. That's gotta count for something).

I hope that you will count this as being constructive criticism and that I can assist in the development of this promising story.
Terror Dark Calws Army chapter 2 . 10/9
you should add some Skaven talking about the planet and all the different aliens they find on it.
OverDemon chapter 1 . 10/8
I do love a great world build story, I really do, and this looks to be something that I might enjoy.

Some of the great challenges that such stories face, and you might face, is how to mesh the two universes in a believable way. At the end of the chapter you mentioned a great variety of high technologies, but not much that looks like Skaven-like. I understand that to completely ignore "standard tech" would be bad in its own way, but I hope that the Skaven might still be expressed through their technology.

Some things you might have to think about is politics, warfare, agriculture etc. What makes Skaven society work and how do they interact with other cultures. I believe it would be a mistake to make the Skaven too human-like. Skaven are selfish and devious and very much defined by fear. Also, they don't like to share, AT ALL.

Other things are: Can the Skaven resupply their stock of Warp-stone or is that I finite resource. Also, do they still have magic outside their own world and how do the other races react to that?

Finally, if one side is OP the story quickly loses it entertainment value.

I look forward to where you take this story.
Boone chapter 1 . 10/6
Skaven could use ezzo for producing biotics en mass. Shove a bunch into ogres to make them faster. Make doom wheels faster.