Reviews for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light
Riolu83 chapter 123 . 9/5/2020
I loved this story I actually cried near chapters ending and this is the first story that ever made me cry and I do not barely cry reading stories or movies i loved the character development and everything about this fanfiction.
blazer0199 chapter 93 . 9/3/2020
these three chapters were about 17 different kinds of weird...
Dusk-Form chapter 118 . 8/31/2020
I keep re-reading the scene from Chapter 101 when Eevee greets Tessa. I just can't help it - it's so freaking ADORABLE! Eevee is too precious for words!
Windskull chapter 118 . 8/26/2020
Well, I had been expecting to come back for one final review, but it looks like you’ve surprised me there. Looks like I have a “post game” set of chapters to go but let me go ahead and put my thoughts here for the big fight.

First off, I’m going to briefly mention that outside of this comment, I’m not going to touch on Dragonite or Rebecca since it looks like they’ll be relevant to the final special episode. I kept waiting for you to do something with them, since Dragonite disappeared and wasn’t confirmed dead and Rebecca just sort of… happened and then was left untouched. I have some thoughts on the latter, in particular, but I’ll save them for my final review since I want to see what you do with her.

I’m really glad you didn’t let the hospital scene overstay its welcome. Especially with it obviously being fake. It spends just enough time to make you wonder if he fell into some like. Alternate bizarro universe, before becoming exceedingly clear that it was not.

Shoutout to Tessa for standing up to the gods that were over there behaving like children. It really shows how much she’s grown over the course of the story.

I have the same feelings on the scenes with the old characters showing back up as I did the hospital scene. Each one is just long enough to establish that these characters are back and what they’re doing, while also not lingering for too long. The only thing though is that it really caught me off guard, how fast it seemed like Ephemeris was reviving them after earlier dialogue made it seem like it would take a while, on account of having to do one at a time. These scenes, as well as the ones at the end of part 113 kind of gave me an “end of TTYD” vibe tbh. Where you have all the old characters you met along the way cheering you on.

So, I really liked Espy and Tessa’s fight scenes. My only real complaint with them is that they went on for a bit longer than I’d like. When having two similar fights back to back like that, it led to a bit of fatigue and kind of wore things out. Still, I liked that they were facing down their inner demons of sorts in those fights, and they were good emotional moments that showed how far the characters had come.

Don’t think I missed the reference to the Void Termina fight there ;) . Anyways, regarding that fight scene, I more or less have the same feeling I did with the Tessa and Espy fight scene above. It’s a *really good fight,* but the fact that it was two long fights back to back kind of drags things down a little and leads to reader fatigue.

Despite my complaints with the fight, I really am a fan of Shane’s selfless decision to team up with what was left of Nicky and strike down Void. It really shows just how much he’s changed over the course of this million-word journey. Early Shane never would have done that, I feel.

I don’t have a lot to say about the cool down chapters that followed, other than that I’m glad they’re there. You took the time after those massive fights to wind down and start wrapping up loose ends, and I greatly appreciate that. The ending doesn’t feel rushed. And to be honest, if it wasn’t for a few loose ends you’ve got here and there (off the top of my head, Dragonite, Rebecca, and the poor little zangoose), I would have thought this was a pretty darn good, if somewhat tragic ending. But it’s obvious you got a bit more going on here, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see what happens.

With that in mind, when I come back for the final special episode, I’ll be sure to include my thoughts on the character arcs because I’m just going to say right now, one of Guiding Lights biggest strengths is its characters and just how much they grow over the course of the story. And those arcs have made it an enjoyable read.

See you soon for the big finale.
Windskull chapter 110 . 8/16/2020
I had to drop my review on this chapter because of the one I posted last night, lol.

Alright, now that the shock from last night has died off, I think it's time I type up a quick review for this chaotic episode. To begin with... man when I said back in episode 14 that the heroes were facing their darkest hour, I did *not* expect that to be one-upped. Like dang.

Like, I was planning to quit reading in the middle of the chapter last night, because it was getting late and it seemed like a longer chapter, but I couldn't put it down. Because I realized that Shane was acting weird and I just went "oh no."

Also Silvally ;n;

I don't really have any complaints about this episode. If anything, maybe I could nitpick that the Gallian scene felt a bit longer than it needed to be, and that a couple of the fight scenes started to drag near the end due to the sheer length, but again, those are nitpicks and in general I think the episode was well-paced.

I also should mention that I liked that there were callbacks to stuff brought up early in the fic, like the second Ho-Oh. Always nice to see a larger work like this bind things together.

Also, get fucked Arceus lol. Like I said in the last review, I don't think the blame can be put *entirely* on Arceus, but there's no denying that most of this trouble is Arceus' fault and he's just been an ass in general. Glad to see him finally knocked down a peg.

When this episode kept moving so fast, I was uncertain how you were going to stretch out 12 more chapters. Now I know. The story has nearly come to a close, and it's been a wild ride getting here. Looking forward to seeing how it ends.
Windskull chapter 111 . 8/15/2020
Holy Fuck!

I just. I had to say that. I'll be back to give a propper review tomorrow.
Windskull chapter 106 . 8/14/2020
Damnit Arceus. You ass.

Ooof, this special episode was a bit of a gut punch. Seeing as it feels like the entire sequence of events for this story could have been prevented if Arceus had just been honest from the beginning. Instead of trying to hide things for centuries. and then hiding things some more. At the same time, Even though I'd say Arceus is the primary person to blame, the others aren't blameless either. Any one of the three, Zekrom, Latios, or Xerneas could have at least asked "hey did you really threaten Arceus" and gotten clarity. Or Nicky could have told the truth about his visit to begin with.

I really liked this bonus episode, though. It helped put the last few background pieces into place, leading up to the story's climax. And also introduces us to a certain mysterious butterfly, hmmmmmm.

The one small gripe with this section that I do want to point out is that if I remember correctly, parts of this special episode rely pretty heavily on a previous bonus episode. Such as, for example, Nicky's mental link with Xerneas or his larger amount of freedom from Golem. It's a pretty minor gripe, I just feel it's worth mentioning since typically the bonuses are just that. Bonuses that explore certain elements of the story in greater detail.

Not much else for me to say on this one. It looks like the next episode is a relatively short one, so hopefully I'll be back soon for that. Man, it's been about a month and a half since I started reading Guiding Light in propper, and now I'm almost done with it. It's been a wild ride so far, and I look forward to seeing what the last ~20 chapters have in store for me.
Azzry chapter 125 . 8/14/2020
Hello.

This story is wonderful, I loved it.

I got to know this fic from the author of PMD: Hand of creation, which is also an extraordinary fic, thanks to its author
I started reading it about 3 weeks ago.

Many things made me love this fic:

- The way you brought together all the PMD universe of games, but also many elements of the extended PKM universe, and the fact that you made it all perfectly cohesive.

- The way you handled all the characters, and their interactions.

- The fact that there are sometimes sexual allusions, and the like, which helps to make the whole thing more realistic, and often funny without being heavy, something that you don't often find in pmd fics, I think. ..

- Hell, the story, of course!

From the start I liked Shane, for his side so refreshing compared to the usual mc comparable to pmd games, he made me laugh a lot xD

Then, I also liked all the other characters, especially the Team Radiance team!

This story made me laugh, made me sad, made me cry, a few times ... it was a great trip. one of the best PMD fic I've read.
Thank you for everything.

English isn't my native language, so sorry to the quality of the traduction.
Windskull chapter 102 . 8/13/2020
After a bit of a break, I'm back once again. Before I talk about episode 14 in general, I'll briefly mention that the bonus chapter in this section was cute, but also felt like one of the more skippable chapters. (I mean, it -is- bonus for a reason, obviously, but there are some bonus chapters that feel a lot more directly relevant to the plot. Like chapter 30, for example, which offers early insight into Prisma's past.)

Moving on to the episode propper, I'm really glad everyone had the talks that happened in 80 and 81. It's all stuff that needed to be said. That said, I do wonder if it could have been condensed a little, since it felt like it made the beginning of the episode drag a bit. On the other hand, I did read the bonus in-between them, which may have contributed to that feeling. It also became pretty chaotic in the latter half of the episode, which helped offset that.

Something I wanted to mention is that initially, I felt like chapter 83 was kind of out of place, since it left Latias on a cliffhanger and didn't feel immediately relevant. The next chapter solved that, but I do wonder if there was another way it could have been organized to help prevent that feeling.

Anyways, after not one, but *two* chaotic fights back to back for the heroes, it looks like this might be their darkest hour. They've lost the shards (thanks a lot, Midnight, SMH), they lost most of their new allies, Gallian is out of battling commission, and Serperior, even if currently villainous, just exploded. Sure, they got some new allies, but they're not exactly fighting fit either *and* we now have a race against the clock. Things are quickly flying towards the climax and I, for one, am excited to see where this wild ride is taking me.

In conclusion, my general thoughts are that the episode started off a little slower than I would have liked, but the chaotic ending very much made up for it. I only have about 20 chapters left to go, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how these last few chapters go. Looks like the next batch is a special episode, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. Until then, take care!

(as a final note, I am skipping over the two crossover chapters for now, but may revisit them at the end after I've finished the canon story.)
Dusk-Form chapter 113 . 8/6/2020
Giratina is wholesome.

This is probably the first story I read where he's not some kind of violent murderous monster.

It's nice.
Windskull chapter 94 . 7/29/2020
Well, this was a fun episode! It was quite a bit more lighthearted than the more recent chapters, more similar in tone to the beginning of the fic. And on one hand, i think that was great! It's nice to have a more lighthearted episode to give a break to all the dreary seriousness that have been the last few episodes (and especially SE 3). On the other, it feels like it might have gone just a little bit too far in tonal shift near the end. I dunno, for the most part I really liked it though. (And I definitely enjoyed the little references that I caught.)

I liked the dragon sftuff in Rem canyon. And I'm actually kind of glad to see Jangmo-o finally get some emotional payoff, since he'd been pushed around all this time. My only nitpick in this section is that it might have gone just a little bit too fast, and I kind of wish we had spent a little more time with Jangmo-o prior to this. That said, i understand why you wrapped it up when you did.

All that said, I did have fun with this episode, and look forward to 14!
Cookievolved chapter 123 . 7/29/2020
I'm not entirely sure what to say. Except thank you
I'm not much of a reviewer, I can't really grasp abstract ideas or even put into words complex ideas.
All I know is that I loved your story.

I fell in love with every character, villains and heros included. Shane was a whiney asshole to start with, but grew on me. He was a character with some serious flaws and changed for the better.

You touched on some very dark subjects, that were sometimes hard to read. Because the emotions expressed on the page were too real to have been completely fictional. But in some ways you channeled that pain to create something truelly, truelly amazing. Thank you for the hard work you put into this story and thank you for sharing it, it resonated with me in ways I never expected from what was a random Pokémon fic that was mentioned to me in passing on reddit.

I hope you are in a better place, and can take your own advice to heart. To cherish the good days and trust in friends and family on the bad ones.
Even if it is hard to find the formor for a lot of us.

I know it sounds cheesy, but it really feels like you shared a piece of your soul with us in this story, and it shows.
I've read hundreds of books the last couple of years they all seems to blend together hardly any of them truelly memorable.
but this story is better than damn near every one and it's one I will cherish for a long long time.

Thank you. Ambyssin.
Windskull chapter 85 . 7/24/2020
Alright, so I *technically* wasn't done with the special episode, but the Gallian stuff is different enough that I think it was a reasonable division point.

So to start off, I think all the Gallian stuff was cute. Tooth-rottingly adorable. And I actually loved it. At the same time, it feels like a bit of a slog to get through. I think it's solely because it comes as a followup to Luxeria's story. Between the two of the and the three bonus episodes in between, we've spent 11 chapters away from the main story, which makes it feel like the plot, which had been rapidly picking up, came to a screeching halt.

On the positive side of things, there were some absolutely tantalizing bits in this chapter. Watching Midnight get his butt kicked for being an ass was great. And this bonus chapter dropped some real bombshells and makes me suspicious of Arceus even more than before.
Windskull chapter 77 . 7/23/2020
Here we are again with another special episode. I definitely feel this one was an improvement over the first special episode, and it felt much more relevant to the plot at hand. Also, for some reason it hadn't even occurred to me that Luxeria was shiny. I was just assuming she had off-colored skin like the Ultra Recon Squad in USUM.

Anyways, this was a fun little interlude that both explained a lot and had a lot of fun Scifi tropes (No you fools, why would you bring that mystery space item back to your base? You're asking for trouble!). There were a couple things I find myself scratching my head over though:

First, Luxeria's change in response to Sticky. I don't know if it's because of his change in demenor after getting out of the crystal, her own trauma, having to work with him the last few weeks, or some mix of all of the above, but I hope it will get addressed soon, because it left me curious.

The other thing that I find myself scratching my head over is how the two of them would have ANY of their fancy supplies. I guess the SOL3O was well-equiped and some of that equipment fell to the world with them? Gallian's harness, in particular, is what's really throwing me for a loop. Hopefully that'll be addressed soon, since it looks like the next several chapters have to do with him.

Lastly, I just want to mention that this bonus chapter is raising some... alarming bells, and gives me a feeling this fic is about to go places WRT Arceus. Looking forward to see how that pans out.
Shadow of Antioch chapter 36 . 7/23/2020
I am happy to announce Shane has redeemed himself in my eyes. Even with such a sensitive emotional situation, you did a wonderful job at laying out both sides of the coin—helping the reader at least consider why Shane and Tessa were acting like they were. Truth be told, I sort of downplayed Shane’s own suffering, so angry I was about his intolerable behaviour (and since he’d started it all). When he was drowning in the swamp, it didn’t really sink in how traumatising it has to have been for him—even IF he’d been acting like an asshole. Same Tessa with slapping Shane with a team dissolution note just as he’d woken up from a coma. I didn’t so much as blink while reading it. As the three teammates reminisced about their actions, only then did I realise how brutal and cruel that was on Tessa’s part. And I think that was your intention.

The sheer depth and emotional complexity on display shows just how effort you poured into this character arc, and it absolutely pays off. The team feels more united now than ever—and it’s all 110% earned. Shane’s redemption might have only just begun, but it’s been the undisputed highlight of Guiding Light so far. If the story had been discontinued at the end of Episode 7, I would still probably recommend it for this reason alone. Be proud of your work.

Man, there’s been so many emotional highs lately. All the bubbling tension, the threat of Team Radiance disbanding, Oranguru dying, Tessa’s parents… I definitely hope the next chapters offer a small break. Oh, also: Tessa’s mother isn’t actually communicating with her. I had my suspicions from the very beginning, and now I’m almost certain after you hinted at Zero being the one who’s impersonating her. It’d make sense why her mother’s so insistent that she abandon Shane. The baddies want him, and they need him all nice and alone.

Speaking of Tessa’s mother, that’s a hell of a dilemma she’s in. Not only a former human, but one with a human FAMILY? Husband and child? Yikes. Explains a lot about her behaviour. Despite settling into her new world, and even finding a new mate, I can’t imagine her not reminiscing all the time. She claims to be protecting Lunala, but I can easily see that being an excuse. Heck, hasn’t Lunala fused with Necrozma, and isn’t she now working with the baddies? That means Tessa’s mum is working with the baddies, too. It’d explain Gallian. Tessa’s father is most likely alive at this point, I’m sure of it. Ah, so much conflict yet to come! So many possibilities! My misgivings with Tessa’s character lacking depth are now more or less solved. While she still isn’t my favourite, I can confidently say that I enjoy reading all three main characters. And Team Captivate. And Metagross. And Espy and Umbry. Everyone, really.

A crack in Null’s helmet! It should mean he’s ready to evolve. (It’s not really spoilers since he’s a Silvally in the story cover art :P). I wonder how that’s going to be handled. He should finally gain full control over himself upon breaking free of the helmet, but… it IS supposed to be a restraining tool. One that seems to have worked remarkably well (if you disregard the occasional episode of voices overpowering his will). With the helmet shattered… hm. There might be a part when Silvally goes beserk and Shane and Tessa have to contain him, calm him down again.

I’m still not entirely sure what the deal is with the Solgaleo flashbacks Shane keeps seeing. My first hypothesis was that Shane IS Solgaleo, or was in some past life/form—but how could Solgaleo be communicating with him right now? It could be some past version of himself, but that just sounds too contrived. I suppose Solgaleo is choosing to show him those visions. Why, though? How could they possibly help Shane with his mission? And why choose to do it so suddenly and cryptically instead of just telling him beforehand? Eh, who knows.

Characters aside, I can already tell that the main plot is going to take us all over this world. Maybe to another continent, possibly even to this extradimensional space Zero seems to reside in, perhaps in the final confrontation.

Your descriptive skills have been getting better and better, especially when it comes to characters expressing their emotions. The way they do it still feels a little… exaggerated, at times, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t work. Although Guiding Light has long shed its cartoonish aspects, it still retains a surprisingly light tone that makes reading it a breeze. It’s been interspersed with darker themes as of episode 7, of course, but I feel that my point still largely applies. Your pacing is also on the brisker side, which I’d argue is a positive since it helps smooth things along. With such a wide world and so many characters to keep track of, and with so many events happening in short succession, anything slower would burgeon the story to two million words.

In short, what you have right now is… yeah, I’m going to say it: perfect. I’m excited to read on, and the million-word number no longer intimidates me as much ever since I’ve been sucked into your world. I’ll see you very soon.
1,435 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »