Reviews for Whelped
The Night Cried Out chapter 1 . 11/17
Whole new level of creepiness! Amazingly disturbing and wow... I’m floored here. And WHAT?! Is that TOM RIDDLE inside him?
stevem1 chapter 1 . 9/26
This is real horror.
I’ve read a fair bit of horror in my time, both fan fiction and published work. I can count the number of stories that unsettle me on one hand.

Like Dudley, seems I’m down a finger.
WhymsicalBell chapter 1 . 7/26
This wasn't really that horror-like to me and didn't really click right, but I dunno why. Maybe it's just different to the horror I'm used to. (Doesn't mean the story's bad!)
Like...I didn't like all the description on the smells and such, because it's not actually something horrible. A smell's just a smell. A bad one's disgusting and awful yes, but it's not really true horror imo. And I feel like smell's overused in horror, when a story is trying to create an effect but hasn't really grasped it yet, so the smell is described a lot. To be honest I found all the smell's and Petunia and Dudley's reactions more comical than horror-like. The juxtaposition between what we imagine their nice house to be, and all the disgusting smells, muggle witchcraft etc, read like a satire more than a horror. But the writing was consistent (in terms of mood and tone) and nice, so it was an enjoyable read anyway, just different to what I expected for a horror story.
I felt like the final reveal was sort of gross, and it's awful what's happened, but it just lacked an oomph and didn't really scare me. I think it's because I've seen the eating baby animals trope before. But it is gross, and I did feel really sorry for Harry.
I still liked this story though, because it's one of the few that captures a reality where it really really didn't go well, and I could imagine it. Having the soul of a loveless dark wizard who's already committed enough murders to have a deformed soul himself stuck in a young boy since a baby could go really awfully, and that was never explored in the books so this was a nice runaway plot bunny to read. I didn't really like the horror part so much, but I loved the concept and how consistently it was written right til the end. It's one of the few gems that really explore that, so it's a great story overall!
I would be interested in reading a multi-chap of this alternate universe, it would be an interesting concept I think!
Thanks for sharing, overall it's still a real gem of a fic that really captures an interesting alternate reality well! :)
DarkLord935 chapter 1 . 5/25
wHaT tHe FuCk
EdwardHopkins chapter 1 . 5/23
Creeped me the fuck out! You have a real talent for horror!
twasnicetomeetyou chapter 1 . 5/5
shit oh shit oh shit Voldemort is DEAD
clinicallycynicallyobsessed chapter 1 . 4/25
oh god this is actually so brilliant. love it sososo much
crimson hearts chapter 1 . 3/7
o.m.g. o.m.g. o.m.g. now this is some dark... this is just so... heck I don't know what to think. what I do know though is that I find myself strangely wanting to read severus taking him to Hogwarts to Dumbledore and just being like "ok here. this is what you get for being all high and mighty. what are gonna do now. cant really do anything.". lol. will you be doing any more chapters. it was dark as heck yet you couldn't look away or stop reading you just cant. so yeah. loved it? idk but I would still read more.
Kknd2 chapter 1 . 1/17
Well. I kept expecting the end result of JK's utter lack of continuity checks. (AKA Obscuris/Obscural) You have managed to come up with something so much worse then that I can only applaud you. Also have to give you credit on really extending and playing up the 'something is wrong here' vibe. Not too far, just long enough to build anticipation for something truly foul to be revealed.

Which you did, indeed, reveal.

I can only imagine that following this mess, fiend-fire was used to eliminate the problem, and literally no one listened to Dumbledore on anything ever again. Not to mention Lucius immediately disposing of the diary in self defense and maybe even horror at just how insane his 'master' was. This is the kind of thing that tends to stick in your memory, no matter how much you wish it wouldn't.

Also: huge credit to you for some original ideas on how the Dursley's managed to keep the situation contained. Semi-magical plants, Dudley being a squib and thus having a little magical power to help him? Petunia making a delicate but massively layered warding scheme literally powered by her life force? Runes to try and pacify the area and evidence of trying literally anything in hopes it might at least help? All great stuff that gives the readers both an in universe fig leaf for their survival and builds up just how horrible the threat is. Sure, there's logistics problems if you look at it from a calm, detached, rational perspective. But your readers aren't going to have that, thanks to your skillful writing here.
Horrifying in the *best* sense of the word! Dudley was especially great!
Anne O Nemous chapter 1 . 12/26/2019
Wow. Just wow. I don't normally go for horror, but your story was truly... Twisted in an unbelievable way. Great work!
Hegemone chapter 1 . 12/17/2019
Hauntingly well-written.
BLORCYN chapter 1 . 12/12/2019
Wow. This is, like, really dark. So good. But so dark. I think you must be mad.
HallowedExistence chapter 1 . 12/3/2019
This is good but I have honestly never seen something so utterly vile, not sure whether I'm impressed or utterly repulsed. Anyone reading this do not continue unless you're prepared.
That being said I want to see Dumbledore kill that monster, it's the only thing that will help.