Reviews for A Dangerous Winter
isaacswolfsbane chapter 1 . 12/4/2017
I have so much love for this fic. Anything that humanises dark characters I love. I don't know why, but I just instantly love them.

This was so adorable, too. The love you showed between Rod and Rab was so pure and innocent and sweet and it was so believable. Then you start thinking about what we know from canon and it's just like "but how did that happen?"

The relationship between them was written so perfectly. All the little looks and small details you put it was just so realistic and relatable (despite the fact I'm an only child lol).

Great job :)
Cookies and Ink chapter 1 . 11/30/2017
I love family fics.

I don't read enough of them and I'll admit when I saw it was Rodolphus & Rabastan I was preparing for incest, I think that's the only time I've seen this pairing. I am so glad this wasn't that. It was so sweet and caring, you had the drama in the middle and my heart was in my throat as I read of Rab struggling to breathe, their controlling Mother, I could picture it all so vividly - but then you had childish joy and happiness bookending the angst which was perfect, it left it on a really sweet note.

I also love how Rodolphus was just a perfect older brother, surly, protective but also a bit of a pushover.

Can you tell I love family fics? All I'm doing is gushing right now and I want to write more about how your descriptions were vivid, how you explained everything so clearly I was absolutely absorbed into this world you created but I keep getting distracted by wanting to say THANK YOU FOR WRITING A FAMILY FIC.

Honestly there need to be more. Thank you for being stunning Amber this was perfection.
konstantina732 chapter 1 . 11/29/2017
This was so cute! I really like the way you wrote the relationship between the two brothers. I'm very happy that you chose them, since they are not as common. Also, I'm so glad that you didn't kill him. I've been reading so many heartbreaking stories and I needed a break. Great job!
NaginiTheHorcrux chapter 1 . 11/28/2017
I like this, as see shows some brotherly love for some truely awful people, showing that it was not them that was bad, it was their upbringing. I rarely see any half - decent fics involving young Rabastan and Rodolphulus. I enjoy this, and I can vividly imagine this scene. Good job!
TheRottenJas chapter 1 . 11/27/2017
This was extremely sweet and heartwarming. I love that you chose lesser known characters and portrayed a different sort of Pureblood sibling bond rather than Sirius and Regulus. I absolutely enjoyed reading the interactions between Rod and Rab since it felt totally natural. I love how Rod was annoyed with Rab at first, but how he still looked out after him and caved to his little brother. Also, those hints that Rod gets punished for his mistakes is so slyly inserted and believable with this Pureblood family. Again, amazing flow and this headcanon is definitely one of my own now. :)
NeonDomino chapter 1 . 11/27/2017
Okay I adore this story. I love that you wrote a pureblood family (brothers) fic based around someone who wasn't Sirius and Regulus (though I do love those stories too).

Headcanon accepted.

I love the way that Rodolphus looked after his brother - unable to really say no to Rabastan at the start, even allowing him outside though he knows his brother is in poor health and then getting him inside quickly. I love the Slytherin side "I'll tell them I caught you trying to run away" obviously a way to keep himself out of trouble.

I like that his father was so understanding and even his mother to an extent - I mean, dealing with a sickly child would cause a sternness in any parent I believe and the fact that she didn't punish him when he disobeyed and put his brother in danger was nice.

I love the brotherly moments in this fic. Wonderful writing again and I love seeing the good side behind the boys who would one day become death eaters.
MaryandMerlin chapter 1 . 11/20/2017
Well this was just adorable - I mean we’ll ignore the almost dying but but the brotherly love made me awwwwwh. I felt this was a bit Frozen-esque, the reminded me of Elsa and Ana with Rabastan wanting desperately to play especially in the snow. Is it some sort of magical asthma attack that he’s suffering from? Poor babby.
No I thought this was well written. I was engaged and interested I thought he was going to die and it broke my little heart you have a beautiful way of writing that just sucks me in and I’m lost.
Fantastic job, well done.
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 11/14/2017
Oh I hate you, the feels! :O Ugh, my heart is breaking for the way Rabastan just wanted to play outside like a normal kid and how worried Rodolphus was about him. I didn't want to know such feels for these characters :O
I love this headcanon of Rabastan being a sickly child, and the closeness between the brothers warmed my heart. I loved your writing here too, it was so beautiful and smooth :')
Nice work!
Cheers! :)
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 11/12/2017
I'm totally here for siblingness. And this was really adorable. Somehow, when you tell me ideas, they are so great; when you write them they are sooo much better than the idea and I’m always left wondering how.

Sick!Rab is definitely my hc (thanks Gamma). So I really like the fact that you don’t mention what he’s ill with. You just leave that up to the reader to try and figure out. (I doubt you have a definitive answer, but that’s besides the point). Even though Rab is sick, you still kept his childish enthusiasm, which is beautiful.

Protective!Rod is definitely my favorite. And I love that he doesn’t want to say no to Rab. But he get so scared when Rab gets sick. Beautiful really.

Their mother. Dear Salazar. I think she was perfect. The mother hening over Rab and her anger with Rod when he takes his brother outside. It was just perfection.

This was perfection. Just like you.
The Lady Arturia chapter 1 . 11/9/2017
I love how Rodolphus concludes that his parents are still asleep from his brother's appearance. That little detail adds so much to his characterisation.

Rodolphus being a kind, thoughtful older brother was such a pleasure to read. I always love reading stories like this about minor characters, and especially with one like Rodolphus, I loved reading that he had a relatively normal upbringing and was a normal child and a good brother. I also loved that you made it seem like his father would lose his temper on him and in a second I was like oh is this gonna be like a childhood trauma but then he responded so kindly and I didn't expect it so I loved it. (That bit also kinda reminded me of that scene from Frozen, where Elsa hit Anna and the latter nearly dies.)

And that last bit where Rodolphus is like spending time with Rabastan is hardly punishment! How sweet! This was just so sweet and I loved the brotherly love. It was very clear that despite both the mother and Rodolphus' sharp tongue and quick temper, they cared deeply about Rabastan. I loved this.
WritingBlock chapter 1 . 11/1/2017
I used to hate these boys...

You make it so hard to hate them when they're being all sweet and adorable!

I love the fact that the brothers were both protecting each other from what they perceived to be danger. (Rod with the cold and the snow; Rab with their mother and playing.) And the way that Rod reassures his brother that playing with him wasn't a punishment! It brought back so many childhood memories of me and my little sister!

Once again, you've written a brilliant story!
Maisie Malfoy chapter 1 . 11/1/2017
Confession: I read this last night but was mostly asleep then and couldn't have put a coherent sentence together if I tried. So we review now.
This was so cute! Adorable bonding fics between Rodolphus and Rabastan are so hard to find, and this was everything I adore.
Your characterization of their mother is also very nice. She was quite...vivid. Dare I say she was almost...lifelike? And I liked that it focuses on Rabastan and his illness without being too poor-Rabastan-y. If that makes any sense.
Overall, this was too beautiful and is definitely going into my favorites list :)
ctc chapter 1 . 10/23/2017