Reviews for Never Too Old
Emiliya Wolfe chapter 1 . 11/15/2017
I really enjoyed this. There was a slight moment where I thought that the "you" was Draco, because my phone shows reviews before clicking on the link and I saw the name. It was... interesting, but I much prefer the actual fic :D
Moving on to the actual review, I'm not usually a huge fan of second person, but I think it was well-used here. Third person would have been too removed, and first person too harsh. This strikes just the right amount of balance, and congratulations on seeing that.
Hannah's characterisation is perfect for a grieving old lady that just wants to be left in peace. I especially liked the line "It takes them far less persuasion than you initially imagined", because of course, no one likes the idea of being left in a home.
The old age thing in general was well handled: you showed how stubborn you can become, but also your shortcomings as you age, without making Hannah or Draco seem weak. I have to admit, as soon as Hannah and Draco started falling in love, I immediately thought about how she might have to see Draco die before her too, and how terrible it would be. I think that's what would make me worried about falling in love at such an age - you might lose another loved one more quickly than you would have thought. I brushed the notion aside, thinking you would be kind enough to have Hannah die first, and then immediately felt guilty, because Draco lost Astoria long before her time.
Because of this, I had a sense of apprehension all the way through this cutesy love story, and I think that may have been your objective in starting the fic with "You never expected to outlive Neville". It was a wonderful piece of foreshadowing if so.
Draco's death was done beautifully. No dramatics, no calling the doctor's, no panic. Simply an old man having an "off day" as it were, and then peacefully letting go, as his life naturally comes to a close. It was almost poetic, and I definitely enjoyed it.
The one problem I have with this is their age. Wizards have been shown to easily live to 110 in J.K's novel, as shown by Dumbledore, Slughorn and Grindelwald. Dumbledore only died because of the curse, and Grindelwald was also killed. I would have thought they would be at least thirty or forty years older for this to be believable, but it's a very minor detail that can be easily fixed.
Wonderful work!
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 11/10/2017
Well shit. I wasn’t expecting that ending. Up until then, it was really sweet. The relationship that Hannah and Draco had was very well done. It wasn’t a relationship that was meant to mean more than the relationships they had before. I also love your choice to write them so old in age. I haven’t seen many fics that tackle a relationship when they are so old.

I loved all the small details you put in this. Like the crossword, the arguments, and the audiobooks. You gave them a reason to be together beyond just loneliness. I also liked that you didn’t shy away from Scorpius. You weren’t trying to leave out apart of Draco’s past, just like you didn’t with Hannah.

This was great. I really enjoyed it.
Maisie Malfoy chapter 1 . 11/7/2017
Second-person stories are just too rare, so it was lovely to see one.
I have to admit that I had to read this twice because I was too emotional the first time to form a coherent review. So here we go.
I love that they're so...old, I guess. They seem very wise as characters, and it feels almost safe and warm. Which, I suppose, is what old people feel like.
I've had my heart ripped out and trampled into the ground by the last few stories, and I really did not need that again. But it's okay, I'm fine. I'll be fine...
I loved this so much I may read it a third time :)
Cookies and Ink chapter 1 . 11/6/2017
Ami, Ami, Ami.

This story made me nearly cry when you read it to me for the first time. This is now the sixth time I've read it through and it's just as poetic, perfect and fantastic as I remember, perhaps even more so.

I've told you before how much I love second person stories when you write them, they're such an unusual format and yet you manage to make it feel gentle and lyrical, immediately you're wrapped up in Hannah's thoughts and it feels just so beautiful and comforting.

The only bit of concrit I've got is related to the ending, because bloody hell my love my heart's just been wrenched out off my chest.

This was just fantastic. It's the first fic I've ever read with older characters and you did their ways, their bodies failing them and the softer, slower way of life so respectfully and truthfully.

Honesty baby I could just write reams. This is gorgeous, the best thing you've ever written and I feel so privileged to be able to have watched you craft this beautiful piece of work.