Reviews for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Canon Breakage
Magykool chapter 7 . 4/22
If you’re looking for a faithfully unfaithful retelling of the Explorers games, then look no further, readers!

At a glance, my only complaint about Canon Breakage is that there simply isn’t enough to read. The dialogue, the prose, the characters, all of it is filled with love and you can easily tell. Turning up to a game world you know the plot of, but the plot ends up being different to what you expected is exactly what the premise of this story is, as the summary says, and I absolutely enjoy every second of it.

Mike is an enjoyable character who is just trying to adapt to everything thrown at him as a human-turned Pokemon, while being partnered with badass Aria, a Riolu that carries a lot of hidden baggage. Just like the world itself, Aria is the complete opposite of what Mike expected her to be, and seeing a partner that isn’t cowardly is always very welcome in PMD fanfictions. It means there’s an entirely different dynamic between the hero/partner duo and I’m here for it. It makes me wonder just how much more there is to this world that I, or, Mike, don’t know about and I’m excited to learn more about the world of Canon Breakage.

I’m not really great at writing reviews, but keep up the good work! I eagerly await the next part of this story~
Rathora chapter 1 . 3/21
This is a very funny concept, and I would love to read this thing some time.
Walpurgisnacht chapter 1 . 2/6
LETS GET REDICULOUS!
RabbitJaguar chapter 7 . 1/23
Plot twist! So Mike isn't the hero of the story, after all... I wonder where the hero is, then, and if they will stick to the script with the whole human amnesiac thing.

Also, it's looking more and more like I was right about my theory about Aria's former teammates... which makes their disappearance and her desperation to find them again even more sad...

I wait with bated breath for the next chapter. I am thoroughly hooked now.
RabbitJaguar chapter 6 . 1/23
It's interesting to see a protagonist so unconfident in both his ability and his intentions. I also like the fact that Aria is aware that some secrets are necessary between friends, and doesn't seem to mind not knowing the truth. It might not be as realistic as the "tell me what's REALLY going on or we're through!" reaction, but it suits her character better. I'm excited to find out what exactly HER secrets are...
RabbitJaguar chapter 5 . 1/19
Bit of a fractured sentence when they arrive at Drenched Bluff:
"So Drenched Bluff is a cave in the middle of a freaking 's with the misleading name?"

Aria's glow-in-the-dark eyes make me think of cartoon characters in the dark, depicted as disembodied eyes on a pitch black screen, and that's probably more comical than it should be in the tone the story is setting, but I can't help my dumb rabbit brain.

Anyway, on to the actual stuff that matters... I have a theory that I honestly don't think is right, but I'm going to muse about it anyway so if it turns out to be correct I can brag about it later: Aria's parents seem to have some sort of renown, and they're no longer in the picture. At the same time, Aria is missing two teammates, both more competent (and presumably experienced) dungeoneers than her, and one of them probably knows extreme speed, a move used commonly by high-level Lucario... curiouser and curiouser.

I'm excited to see moves have no effect on Mike. I've always been a fan of the seemingly-helpless protag awakening a uniquely overpowering ability trope. I can't wait to see how he uses this strange gift to his advantage.
RabbitJaguar chapter 4 . 1/19
I fear for Mike's future if he can't use healing items OR moves... the interpretation of Kanghaskan storage is interesting, and makes a lot more sense than the magic inventory menu of the games (although it's a lot less convenient). I have a feeling Alakazam is going to play an interesting role with his aura sensing. It seems he's already sensed something off about our protagonist. Let's see just how much he knows...
RabbitJaguar chapter 3 . 1/19
I gotta say, I live for the banter. I can tell the guild members are all good friends by the way they jab at each other. I had been thinking Aria seemed oddly capable for a beginning explorer, and now I know why. I have a feeling the two missing members of Team Collateral will make a dramatic reappearance later, so I wait anxiously to see what happens.
RabbitJaguar chapter 2 . 1/19
Ah, Wigglytuff's guild. I see you've taken an interesting approach to the partner's relationship with the guild. I'm very curious exactly how much is different from the games. I suspect her mysterious reputation has something to do with her parents, but I suppose I will have to wait and see. I'm also intrigued by the fact that Mike not only can't use moves, but can't really fight at all. Part of me is certain he will learn later on, but another part of me finds the idea of a PMD protagonist that can't fight very unique and interesting. I can't wait to find out what happens!
RabbitJaguar chapter 1 . 1/19
This brings back so many memories, hours poured into PMD Explorers as a kid. I love the way you gradually explain various points throughout the scene, and the pacing feels very balanced. The exposition and explanations weren't too heavy and difficult to read through. I also like how you can clearly tell Mike has an "it's just a game" mindset, and I'm curious to see how that might change over time. Lastly, "Bob, Skull, and Sonic..." That's just too good!
RedTokyo95 chapter 7 . 1/17
Wow... I like it! Too bad that I would likely be waiting for a long time for it to update. Shame, I was REALLY getting into your story, and I was hoping that Mike would spill the beans about him being human once, but I have a feeling that you had something in mind for the drama that is to be unfolded.

I hope to see you update soon.
lonelyboi69 chapter 7 . 11/8/2020
Yo, I just found this fic like a day ago and I must say I'm loving it so far! Gonna keep a close eye on this one, can't wait for the next chapter.
Guest chapter 7 . 10/24/2020
Man almost didn't catch this new update. Went and reread and I still love the characters, dialog, and worldbuilding you do a great job at it. I hope you continue this story I really missed it.
The Silver Espeon chapter 7 . 10/17/2020
Nice, new chapter!
qmzr chapter 7 . 10/16/2020
eh, fics aren't obligations if you don't want them to be no matter how much some people beg, but it's always pleasant when a good fic like this updates. Both sides are keeping secrets and the bits of daily life (if you can call it that) are nice to see. Hope poor mike'll eventually be able to pull his weight a bit more