Reviews for The Baker
investedintrovert chapter 1 . 12/24/2017
Very good! I loved this take on the trope, though I do feel bad about the girl's fate and being forced into marriage. But it was still very well written and engaging. The vingette style was superbly done. Great job!
Yuki Suou chapter 1 . 12/2/2017
brilliant!
gginsc chapter 1 . 11/19/2017
Sad, but very realistic!
Tibblets chapter 1 . 11/10/2017
This was a really good story. Thanks for sharing. Read Annafan's "The Victors Sing the Loudest Songs" for another incredibly good one-shot...
earthdragon chapter 1 . 11/10/2017
This was very good indeed, and a much more realistic portrayal of what would actually happen to a teenage girl suddenly thrust into the medieval world of middle-earth. Rather than her becoming a Mary Sue, who is an expert at archery and sword fighting, brilliant horse rider and romantic interest of a drop dead gorgeous elf warrior (Glorfindel, Haldir, Legolas, the Twins), a fabulous king (Thranduil) or valiant human warrior (Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Eomer), she finds herself in an arranged marriage with someone as mundane as a Baker. It is all the more real because girls did get married at a young age in those days - if a woman was still unwed at 20, she would regard herself as being left on the shelf. It's a shame she never got to live out her fantasies as a member of the Fellowship, although to be honest, with no real fighting skills, she would have been a hindrance to them. She was much better off as a Baker's wife as she was relatively happy and loved her children. I like the fact that she finally got to see Frodo, Merry, Pippin and Sam, and was able to smuggle some bread and crackers into their room.

Regarding bread making - you are quite right, the basics have never changed since medieval times. The only thing that is different is that the flour used now is much finer and far better quality. Of course, our heroine would have had to get used to the oven, which would account for her burning her first batch of loaves.
Thanwen chapter 1 . 11/9/2017
Being a mean old woman with a sometimes cruel bias for realism, I highly enjoyed your take of things, especially as you managed to transport the bleakness of the girl's fate, using a very straight, laconic way to tell most the story.

And it's so fitting to switch from short paratactic sentences to longer ones, emphasising that her life has improved after her husband's death, has become "richer" in some sense. But as there still are the bounds of "medieval" society that hold her, there is no room for a more elaborate kind of language.

Perhaps now you shake your had at the gushing of an old "scholar". ;D

But seriously, I would not have called it a "tragedy", for given what could have happened, she had what could be called a good life under the given circumstances, cruel as it seems to us (and certainly is, given the way how it clips people's dreams and abilities ).

As for "bullshitting" your way concerning baking bread in the middle-ages: As long as you don't talk about raised bread made from barley or oats everything goes. ;) There really is no difference in the basics to nowadays bread. Rye crackers were (and are) a staple diet in Scandinavian countries, and also bread could be made from rye, though there often were mixtures of different grains. Also barley and oats were used, but you only can make bannocks, crackers and the like of them, or mix some of it with e.g. wheat, because barley does not react with yeast.

Thank you for posting.
REMdream chapter 1 . 11/9/2017
Wow... just wow...! This story was amazing. And I'm not just saying that. It truly was a piece of art. Very true to reality in what would really happen. I enjoyed reading this so much! Thank you.
Daniela chapter 1 . 11/9/2017
Muchas gracias por esta pequeña historia, la disfruté mucho. Utilicé un traductor, lamento por no poder escribir en inglés.
Sigue escribiendo. Tu narrativa es muy bonita