Reviews for The Stuff of the Earth
Kielle chapter 1 . 7/28/2003
"So he watched in satisfaction at the whining she-wolf with her moonlight eyes wide, her red jaws open. Soulless terror in her gaze, she was nigh buried beneath Draugluin’s great bulk, as the wolf-skinned Maia bit into the scruff of her neck and set her down. If she resisted, the movement was lost, and she had no hope in the first place..."

Wow, Joannie. Just...WOW. Don't you ever dare say you can't write. Never again. Not in front of me. :)
Thalia Weaver chapter 1 . 6/24/2003
You are masterful. I worship you.

*blink*

Erm. I mean. Good story? Very amazing piece of horror, and...you are SUBLIMELY cool.

Thalia

PS: This all started when you reviewed one of my stories. o_O Now I feel unworthy of such talent.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 6/9/2003
Slight-? It isn't as if there was ever any question about it. The only *canonical* question was, did he bioengineer ("make") the Red-Mawed or start with a normal Werewolf cub ("choose") for the purpose.

And, of course, it just destroys the symbolism of only one who is fully of *both* kinds and realms being *the only one* (again canonically) who could not be daunted by Bauglir's eyes.

Not to mention all that lovely canonical poetry (grisly, but still *lovely poetry*) about the terror of Morgoth at finding the Lord of Wolves defeated by Huan and doing a panicked scramble to come up with something to save him from the Lord of Dogs:

"Then Morgoth of Huan's fate bethought

long-rumoured, and in dark he wrought.

Fierce hunger-haunted packs he had

that in wolvish form and flesh were clad,

but demon spirits dire did hold...

From these a whelp he chose and fed

with his own hand..."

-Ai.
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 3/22/2003
*meep*. You've managed to channel Morgoth - this is just _wrong_. For all the right reasons though, if that makes any sense.

Evil POV Good.

Jen
erunyauve chapter 1 . 3/18/2003
You touch upon one of the more mysterious aspects of Tolkien's work - and one rather complicated by theology in his later life. He never really settles the question of werewolves, orcs and trolls (or whether the wargs of the Third Age are the same creature as the werewolves of the First). Your story fills in a step between Morgoth's realization that, like Aule, he cannot create life himself. It is not within his nature to realize that he cannot force it upon Eru's children - that touches upon Tolkien's musings on the failings of Morgoth in comparison to Sauron. His understanding that Melian had to bind herself to Middle-Earth is an important step, as Morgoth himself will be increasingly bound to Middle-Earth. Interesting stuff.
Finch chapter 1 . 3/18/2003
Now that's a gapfiller! Powerful and chilling, excellent piece of horror, and insightful as well. Compliments!
Mouse chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
Perfectly gruesome. Highly disturbing. Not a topic I ever gave thought to before- but I certainly will be now.

Brilliant.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
What a wonderfully horrible story, Joan! I don't think anyone's written about the creation of Carcharoth before, but it was an episode just begging to be fleshed out. And you've done it well here.
Lady Elleth chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
One word to describe this: Scary - but everything makes sense in a perverted, twisted way - the way Morgoth would think.

Although or maybe because this tale is cruel, it is very interesting. It is interesting to see the reasons of the Dark Foe for creating Carcharoth from another POV - and this makes it so good. To perceive how Morgoth might have thought... *shudder*

Very well done, Joan.