Reviews for The Difference between a Seagull and a Phoenix
Yavie Feels Pretty chapter 1 . 4/20/2008
It rather seems as though Maedhros had Kurt Vonnegut write his life's story for him, with all of the irony and sarcasm. I got a good laugh out of this fic, at any rate. I enjoy your dry sense of humor.

RavenLady chapter 1 . 11/15/2003
I can't tell you how brilliant this is! I love your sarcastic, callous, darkly funny version of Maedhros, and at the same time I hate him. That's quite a feat! No other fic has made me hate Maedhros. The last line was especially powerful, but then so was the whole story.
Mouse chapter 1 . 7/20/2003
"My gratitude is matched only by that of the peoples of Doriath and Sirion."

Absolute GENIUS, Lipstick.
jilian baade chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
I thought I'd reviewed this Lipstick, and sorry that I haven't. I read it ages ago, and meant to review and then because you had it under another name I kept missing it. I have to agree with Finch, somehow this is not AU at all, I mean who saw him leap in to the fiery chasm?No one. But I love how you write him, this is exactly how he would be, defiant, angry and yet still himself. Still an elf. Yet still just a man who has suffered beyond our ability to understand.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 3/24/2003
Good point about selective mercy of the Valar. But Maedhros should know about selective mercy, all worried about the sons of Dior after killing so many others.

Excellent story, with a plausible interpretation of the character, and not really AU, I think.
Klose chapter 1 . 3/21/2003
This was very well-written, Lipstick- er, Stephie65... (ahem! :)). You really have a flair for ironical and sarcastic humour.

It's a probable AU in that Mr. Maedhros (man is it strange to hear him cursing! Yet, I can believe it) lives, but as for the perspective... it's not so much revisionist as it is alternative. Which means you've written something that no one else has dared to (or thought of!). I mean, he was totally unsympathetic to anyone. To the extent that I want to strangle him. (I think I'll stick to sweet!Maedhros? I'm superficial enough to want nice character. Yes, I'm stupid. ;))

I like the thing about how boring bliss can get. Indeed! Silly Maedhros. Needs to work on his attitude. ;)
alena chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
I'll just repeat everyone else and say that this is brilliant. Thank you for showing such a totally unsympathetic Maedhros. Wonderfully nasty and also simply makes every kind of sense. And the language...Wow. I am truly jealous now...
Finch chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
Well, something else fell into that chasm after all - the image of Maedhros as a basically good guy with the sad bad habit of slaughtering innocents because of a few hasty words. After all, what good did he ever do after Thangorodrim, except looking for a couple of half-elven brats lost in the woods, as if they weren't destined to perish by divine decree? We all have our moments of weakness, but no, suffering does not ennoble. And what better defiance against a god who wants to destroy you than surviving him?

Intelligent, worldly and wise. And somehow not AU at all.
Maia1 chapter 1 . 3/18/2003

Absolutely brilliant. Here is an unrepentent Machiavellian Maedhros who cuts through all the crap and tells it like it is (or at least, how he sees it) - and leaves the reader breathless.

"How many of you are kinslayers or the children or grandchildren of kinslayers? You sit back willing to pass judgement on the cursed House of Feanor, lucky that your kind are not so squemish about such things"

This makes me think of Stephen Sondheim's musical _Into the Woods_, and the Witch's words: "You're not good, you're not bad, you're just nice...I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right...I'm the witch - you're the world."

A brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT story.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 3/18/2003
Well, this was different! And not so revisionist as some of the other reviewers have called it - really, the only difference between this story and the published Silmarillion is that here, Maedhros didn't throw himself into the lava after all, and so he's able to tell the readers HIS version of the tale.

And what a tale he tells! Arrogant, unapologetic, flawed, selfish to the core - a far different Maedhros than the ones we're used to seeing in fanfics. But perhaps just as canoniacal (or at least no more uncanoniacal) than those other versions. The fascinating thing about the Silmarillion, after all, is that we're told WHAT people do, but very little about WHY they do it. Your Maedhros sure isn't likeable, but he's definitely plausible.

Thanks for a very fun story!
vorondis1 chapter 1 . 3/18/2003
Great piece of revisionism. A providential worldview is questionable enough in Real World history ('Deus lo vult'), but in fake history, with a fallible human being acting as Providence to his own story, it can become directly outrageous on occasion, as your example of Elwing shows. Fortunately these characters are also fake...
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
This is really rather excellent. It's a fresh perspective on an old story, and manages to be angsty and funny at the same time... well, I don't know if funny's the right word, but... hm. I liked it, very much. And Maedhros's foul mouth... :D
Furius chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
Now THAT was brilliant!

"What knowledge? The knowledge that god has washed his hands of you. After that anything is possible." amongs other lines. Brilliant, brilliant brilliant!

I love this, a kind of revisionist Silmarillion. An ironical humor..

Write more fics please.
Losseniaiel chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
There are some very profound musings in here, especially the bit about Elwing being turned into a seagull and I can just imagine Maedhros saying these things.

But it does make me want to bash him over the head with an iron girder ... but then I always did prefer Maglor.
addicted chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
Wow, that was ... I don't even have the word for it. Inspiring and definitely a different take on the subject, though. Two thumbs up for a good Maedhros POV writer!