Reviews for A Punk Like Me
OldSchoolJohto chapter 1 . 9/17
This is fascinating because it’s the opposite of how I imagine the pokémon world. In my head, it’s all about money. If you’re a good battler, you win more money, you have funding to keep going. If not, you go home and get a real job. OR you capture good video and post it for ad revenue. But it makes sense that Steven would be an artist about it. I love the opening lines. I also like the way the battle flows - the moves are rooted in who these two characters are and how they’d respond. My only ...suggestion (?) is that there’s no sense of place until we approach the restaurant. Knowing more about where they are could strengthen Sidney’s seediness and make Steven look even more out of place, or it could play up Sidney’s identity as a shark prowling where he thinks spoiled suckers hang out. Something to consider.
Keleri chapter 1 . 1/2
I like this a lot, it feels very true to the characters and presents Sidney's streak of pride and Steven's unthinking privilege really well.
Wolflyn chapter 1 . 11/30/2017
Yes, I love me some Sidney backstory! Interestingly enough, my own headcanon for Sidney's story is of a similar tone; some punk from the streets gets noticed by Steven as someone more than just a punk. I quite liked your rendition here. Getting a look inside Sidney's head with the first person story was a lot of fun, and I'm glad to see that even though he may look like a punk, he knows how to battle on his own, honest terms. And of course, Steven would be one to recognize that and see the potential for something more in a special trainer like Sidney.

Incidentally, I love the name Queen for his Mightyena.

I really enjoy your writing, so thanks for sharing this piece!
NegatronWildHawk chapter 1 . 11/27/2017
Good work there! I really appreciate the quality of writing that you presented. I had been searching for a good story which explained the backstory of some characters in Pokémon and I found it here, in this.