Reviews for Motherless
French Pony chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
Very sweet, and great to see that Boromir and Faramir have such bonds with the relatives on their mother's side. Especially since Denethor isn't exactly the picture of warm fuzziness, and one does get the impression that he and Imrahil are not quite drinking buddies. Boromir is much cleverer than he lets on, and still looking out for Faramir, even after both are adults. It's a very realistic touch.

The only quibble that I would have with this story is that it seems too modern. The kind of child psychology which Imrahil uses on all of his children, and which the older ones use on Lothiriel, only got started during the Victorian era. In a quasi-medieval setting, I'd imagine the kids would be told by the adults to suck up and deal, possibly comforting each other without any adults. This story seems to be written from a time when the death of a young mother is a much rarer event than it would be in a pre-modern society.

This is, of course, just a minor quibble. It's a great story, full of wonderful images, and a strong sense of "blood family," as Earl Spencer said at his sister's funeral.
Pink Kryptonite chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
That was lovely story, great job. I'd really like to see more into the Faramir/Boromir/Denethor relationship (Perhaps when Hethlin let's go of you?). This would be good chaptered story, also, but I'm sure you have so many all ready to write! I'll be waiting for CMC and Ultimatums :)
Acacea chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
This was lovely! Each and every bit of it. And what a nice touch with Boromir towards the end.

Thank you for a beautiful story!
Susan chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
Oh, wow. This story is so touching. Very well written! Thank you for posting such a wonderful story! Do you think you could write what goes on during the month that Faramir stays with Imrahil and family?
Tigris chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
You made me cry... :[

Thankyou for the emotions!
Altariel chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
I've only been awake a couple of hours, and I've read this three times already. Lovely, lovely... you got tears from me at the end, when we watched over the family with for her last time.

You've done wonders with all the individual characters, and particular kudos for the Boromir cameo.

There's so much in this story. I'm going to treasure it.
21 | « Prev Page 1 2