Reviews for The Carrows
NeonDomino chapter 1 . 1/29
This was so sad, seeing how Amycus was treated because of his sister's behaviour. The cruel behaviour makes me think a bit about Snape's father and his reaction to magic and it makes me wonder if their father's actions have anything to do with that.

It's an interesting backstory to the pair, that they had to be there for each other because they had no-one else.

Also - the parents didn't allow it to happen. Allowing it to happen means that they didn't stop someone else from doing it. I would assume that their mother was involved in these punishments too as you stated at the start that 'what her parents were doing' yet their hate was only for their muggle father and not their pureblood/halfblood? mother who also treated them badly.
DobbyRocksSocks chapter 1 . 1/28
This is written very well, but I have one niggle that I want to get out of the way first.
The line - It made Alecto furious at her parents for allowing this to happen - They weren't allowing it, they were doing it and that's a huge difference.
That said, I really enjoy the sibling relationship in this, and I love that Alecto wants to protect her brother as much as he does her. I also appreciate that the father was a muggle - and that's what made them hate them.
Good job.
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 1/28
Oh, I love this idea of the Carrows having a Muggle father! This is such an original shift, and I liked how you made that the basis for their hatred of Muggles and muggleborns. Your characterizations were very interesting too :) SPaG was okay :)
I liked this piece :)
Nice work!
Cheers! :)
jennybenny2845 chapter 1 . 1/10
Ooh! This was an interesting read and a believable backstory for the Carrow siblings. The last paragraph was nicely written (though it should be Muggles, Muggle-borns and Muggles) and explained why they eventually joined Voldemort and the Death Eaters. I liked the development of their relationship over time, how they grew closer and protected each other. You've made me feel sorry for them, which I never was able to do in canon! Nice job!
RainyDayReading chapter 1 . 1/4
Oh my goodness.
This. Was. Beautiful.
I don't even know how to describe how much I adored this; you had my heart breaking for Amycus in the beginning- he's just a kid! How could his parents treat him like that? *sobs*
There were a few minor SPaG errors ["Amycus despised Alecto; since she was always..." - the semicolon isn't necessary. Also, "Alecto was the 'golden' carrow child..." - Carrow should be capitalized.] However, these mistakes were so tiny they didn't disrupt the flow at all.
I love how Alecto tried to be better for her brother's sake; even though he at first despised her when they were young, she cared about him and adored him because he was her older brother.
Gosh, this fic gave me major feels... amazing job! *hearts*
AlwaysPadfoot chapter 1 . 1/4
Now these are two characters I have never really written or read, but this was so intriguing. I was really impressed that you made their father a muggle and that was a motivation for them being the cruel, twisted characters we see in the books. And I am willing to pretend that the fact that the Carrows are a sacred 28 family isn't a huge plot hole and say this is AU.
It did feel a lot like you didn't really show me much, just told me what was going on all the time. It would have been great to see some characters interacting.
I really liked the relationship you created between the two siblings though. I thought it was a good way to depict why they're so close - instead of the weird incestuous route a lot of people seem to like.
Good job x
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 1/1
Ooh, this was interesting. Especially them having a Muggle father. I feel a little bad for Amycus here, getting punished for things his sister did. But Alecto trying to be perfect so her brother didn't get in trouble was good too. I like how it brought them together and how Amycus went from hating being Alecto's protector to enjoying it. I also liked the way that it explained Alecto and Amycus' hatred of Muggles and Muggle-borns.

Just a few notes. Muggle, Muggle-born, Half-blood, and Pureblood are always capitalized. And house elves is house-elves. You also didn't capitalized their last name in the second paragraph.

Overall, I enjoyed it.
SecretFruits chapter 1 . 12/10/2017
Another interesting and unique piece. I like how well you've humanized the Carrows. You've focused on the one thing that is "redeemable" about them in canon - their relationship with each other - and given a really good start of darkness. I like the reason they have for hating Muggles, despite being half-blood. Reminded me a bit of Severus Snape. I thought the way the sibling rivalry slowly turned on itself was really interesting also.

Small thing - you missed capitalizing "Carrow" in the second sentence. Also - why would a poor drunk muggle have a house elf in the family?
CelestialRosegold chapter 1 . 12/3/2017
Awww, I loved this take on Alecto having to take of Amycus, instead of being the other way round. It is really refreshing to see Alecto explored like this. The whole story is so hauntingly beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time! No one does angst like you. :')
Maisie Malfoy chapter 1 . 12/1/2017
*applauds wildly* YAY IT'S AMYCUS!
Okay, let's get calmed down just a bit, shall we?
{pick up the pieces that was} Was should be were.
{muggleborns} Muggle is capitalized, and there's a hyphen, so Muggle-borns.
This seriously makes me wonder if this will have some kind of follow up, because now I want to know what will happen when he leaves...
Overall this was a nice look at our characters, and since it is Amycus, I shall favorite it.
whitetiger91 chapter 1 . 12/1/2017
Awww I love this take on Amycus and Alecto. I love how she is the parents’ favourites in a way and how Amycus doesn’t care and wants to protect her anyway. What a sweet guy (Erm sweet for a Death Eater) :)
‘Speaking of the Carrows, this shameless little tiger thinks Amycus wasn’t so nice to Alecto, at least not on her birthday. Would you agree?’