Reviews for Liesl's Older Sister
augiesannie chapter 1 . 12/27/2017
I liked this very much, "out of the box" with a fresh look at the von Trapps in their new world.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 1 . 12/11/2017
Very nice.
This seems very much like what Liesl would be like a few years down the line - still more focused on her family than herself. But I'm glad she's found some friends.
The Christmas cookie scene was a great addition, to show that life is hard at the moment, and that and Maria dancing whenever she cleaned were not only perfect for her, but really worked well with the ending at the dance.
It's sad that Liesl has to go through heartbreak all over again, however briefly, but Patrick was right - Maria may have done the majority of it, but Liesl still declined Mark initially. His comment about wishing the men wouldn't say things like that and give the service a bad name was great, and I'm glad Liesl got to tell the story of her Mother, and made a new friend.
kiwihipp chapter 1 . 12/9/2017
Lovely story about Maria looking after her oldest step daughter! :)
bloomandgrow chapter 1 . 12/8/2017
Oh my, I loved this. What a great Christmas story. Not even sure where to start about the things I liked.

I love the glimpses into the family's life in America during the war. Georg and Maria are very loving together and wonderful parents. Georg is still the protective father, which is very in character for his background, and for the time period of course. It makes me smile - I have always thought what apt karma it is for a man like him, (who was once a lady's man), to have so many daughters. He knows exactly what sailors are like, given his own background lol. It must cause him endless worry!

Maria is still wonderfully positive and resourceful despite all the challenges of holding the family together without much money and with the problems of war-time rationing.

I like how you have Friedrich as a doctor - the eldest von Trapp son was a doctor who served in the war. It made my heart ache how Georg and Maria were so worried about him, but in Maria's case, keeping her faith in God.

I like how you have Liesl a bit wary of men, after her horrible experience with Rolf. And she is still the responsible eldest sibling, helping with the children and the house.

The thing that really made me smile was Maria giving the sailors a dressing down. Those poor boys would have had no idea what they were taking on - crossing her path! She was as fiesty and passionate and angry as she was with her beloved Captain by the lake in Aigen. I loved it. And as a parent I know how children can cringe with horror about some of things that you do or say that may be in their best interests but they don't see it that way. So my sympathies were with Liesl as Maria lost her temper, but at the same time I was cheering Maria on.

I also loved that Liesl had forgotten how young Maria is, because she loved her and respected her so much as her mother.

Anyway, loved the whole atmosphere you have created of a family struggling during war time, with a son serving overseas, hanging on to hope in the face of the terrible fears and anxieties. Terrific story. I loved it.