Reviews for Taniwha
zuphie chapter 9 . 7/2
You said this would need more of the same, but I think this is probably the most unique of the stories I've read with this scenario.
missgsmith51 chapter 9 . 10/29/2014
Very nice story. I like that Helen turned out to be a woman. Had she once been human and was she cursed? Or was she a familiar who became human? I'm unclear about that. I am glad Snape lost his Mark.

I am curious about what, if anything, Harry will say or do regarding Snape's revelations about what the Aurors did the night James and Lily died. Will he just let it drop, knowing that the truth would hurt Neville? Would Sirius let it drop if he knew?

Why do I get the idea that Harry wouldn't mind staying there?
missgsmith51 chapter 8 . 10/29/2014
Well, that was interesting. Was the Angry Voice talking about Helen? Snape is going to be so mad that she got loose. It sounds as if she was his familiar.

As for the Pooka ... That is what Elwood P. Dowd called his big invisible Rabbit in Harvey. It's supposed to be some sort of mischievous spirit. Solly doesn't seem to cause any mischief. He seems rather helpful.

Now, for the important question. Did they kill Voldemort? This story was written in 2003 ... B.H. (Before Horcruxes ... Or at least before we were aware of them.) If they did kill him, what about the other DEs?
missgsmith51 chapter 7 . 10/29/2014
I'm curious to know exactly what happened with the flute. Was it made out of the bone of whatever bird that was? Did it function as a kind of messenger Patronus?

I'm curious, too, why Snape left without giving any explanation about his Mark. Perhaps Harry will tell them what he knows ... Or maybe Sirius will.

And what's with the horse? It's obviously magical, if it can get three kids to Hogwarts from New Zealand!
missgsmith51 chapter 4 . 10/29/2014
Well, that puts a new spin on the Longbottoms' roles in what happened. The question, I suppose, is whether it is accurate. Could Snape have been attempting to minimize his own role in the Potters' deaths? Or could Chad have simply misunderstood what he heard? It's interesting, as Harry remarked, that Chad is the first to ascribe Harry's survival to something Lily did rather than to Harry himself. I can see how Snape would certainly believe that - even if it didn't make sense, which it does - as he is reluctant to ascribe any ability to Harry, however ordinary it may be.

It sounds as if Snape has returned to this place more than once the past year to "lick his wounds," which means that Voldemort has been particularly nasty to Snape since his rebirthing. I wonder how Snape will react when he finds out how much Harry has discussed with Chad, even though Chad seems to know more than Harry about much of what happened.
missgsmith51 chapter 3 . 10/29/2014
Interesting story, so far. I am not a big fan of summer - living in an area that has nearly five months of heat with three of them generally running between 98-110 degrees Fahrenheit - and I would love a chilly summer holiday with no astronomical a/c bills. However, I feel sorry for Harry missing what must be only a few short weeks of warm weather in his year.

I love Helen. I'm worried, though, by Harry's mention of Wormtail.
LaureaDaphne chapter 9 . 7/25/2014
This story was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed all your original characters! I'm a little weirded out by the whole marrying a bird thing, but... okay, whatever. At least you gave her a very definitive unique personality!
Helene Nightfire chapter 9 . 6/7/2014
I've just finished reading your lovely story Taniwha again. I think this is my fourth time. Maybe fifth. And I'm behind on my other reading but I love your stories. This one is good for leaving me smiling and feeling hopeful for tackling tomorrow which is very bolstering when the day seems insurmountable. Thank you for sharing.
RB chapter 9 . 7/28/2013
Thank you for posting this wonderful story. It made me laugh, it made me cry and it taught me quite a few things about New Zealand. In future, I'm sure to refer to my tea as gumboot tea and I just loved Helen.
CheyRain chapter 9 . 7/22/2013
You're links on the end are gone...I wanted to know if Harry did return to see Maman, and how Maman reacted once she knew all that happened with Severus. I just know Rona told her. Does anybody catch on to the little one's illtime prophecies?
Signed,
CheyRain
Animosh chapter 9 . 6/25/2013
I loved this story, such an original plot! Awesome :)
sarahsezlove chapter 9 . 4/28/2013
Loved everything about this.
And thanks for reminding me how fabulous Alan Rickman was as Obadiah Slope. Nobody does slimy as well as him.
Moriko no Hikari chapter 3 . 3/21/2013
Er, don't Keas attack sheep...?
Katalara chapter 9 . 9/14/2012
Loved the story!
AspergianStoryteller chapter 3 . 8/23/2012
Hedwig sounds like me! Sometimes I miss bits of conversation, but the sound of food being unwrapped gets my head turning.