Reviews for The Pidgey King
Appna chapter 1 . 4/21
I tried to rationalize the pidgey swarm by saying that the venonat’s poison could have metabolized or denatured on his clothes and turned into something that attracts that bird in particular. But I prefer the unsolved route, any answer at this point wouldn’t be satisfying. I loved this story such a unique and charming tale!
AuraPhoenix1500 chapter 1 . 3/15
This is honestly one of the most adorable things I've ever read. Major props to you!
Jarski chapter 1 . 2/17
I don't have anything to add which other reviewers haven't already covered except to say that was really sweet-thank you for sharing.
Chyme for the Rhyme chapter 1 . 2/12
There was something about Sarah's character that I really loved, with the gentle way she unveiled various home-truths to Alex, and even her small deception; we had all seen it coming by that stage, of course, though it was softened by the offering of the egg.

Interestingly enough though, because this story is told through both her eyes and Alex's, it offers a very human perspective, so human that we are left with a mystery that the characters can never solve. Why are they shunned by wild pokemon? It is a curse? Supernatural in origin? Or some rare genetic fluke? They'll never know.

And neither will we.
marsolino chapter 1 . 2/3
Sweet and interesting to read.
kintsugii chapter 1 . 1/23
This was such an adorable read! I loved the way you described Alex and Sarah's reactions through out this; the whole thing just felt so adorable and wholesome. It was such a nice change to read about a trainer acting like a real kid and an adult being supportive about it, and your dialogue/interactions were particularly well done.

The ending is also the cutest thing I've ever read, omg.
kalmaegi chapter 1 . 1/19
All hail Alex the Pidgey King!
Keleri chapter 1 . 1/7
Oh nooooooooooo this is so cute. Well done, I love the details of Alex's pokemon handling gear and the details of the berry harvest. Possibly it was a mistake reading this while I was hungry... I also really like seeing a young boy with an older woman as a mentor, it feels uncommon to see.
Whispersofadragon chapter 1 . 1/6
Holy cow, this story is so unique and interesting! I loved Sarah and how she worked with him and they bond they shared over not being able to catch that may Pokémon. It was refreshing to read a story that didn't involve someone powering through and catching only OP Pokémon. I do wish we had gotten to hear all of Alex's journey, but it makes total sense to wrap it up where you did. Loved it!
GoldenFalls chapter 1 . 1/4
This was so sweet! Pidgey is one of my favorite evolutionary lines so it's really cool to see a story about them. And the fact that it shows intergenerational trainers, how they start and how they might go on in life after winning, is such an cool concept to explore. Thanks for writing this!
Farla chapter 1 . 1/4
Hm. Well, this is the most adorable problem while still being clearly a huge problem for the whole being a proper trainer thing.

[one settled down right by his elbow and closed its eyes.]

soooooo cute.

The bit that's weird to me is the tame/wild distinction. It's unclear why pokemon that have been around people have no problem with him, and it seems like if he could just grab a wild pokemon successfully it'd calm down - and, while that's hard now, if he levels up his existing pokemon they'd be able to nab a running pokemon just fine. And the way he's getting absolutely swarmed by adorable little fluffballs makes it seem there's more to it than just being extra in-tune with pidgey but still able to raise anything if he manages to actually get it.

Maybe, as implausible as it is in game terms (...why must they have such a poor movepool, game designers?) and as sweet as his love of his venonat is, it'd have made more sense to say he can only get along with pidgey and has to be a champion with a six pidgeot team instead. That buying/trading/hatching still works normally makes it really hard to understand what's actually going on here.
ChocolateTeapot chapter 1 . 1/3
It's great to see another of your stories! This is a really interesting idea and you do wonderful work with the world building. How he uses his “curse” was imaginative.

The way the flock of pidgey clusters around him is absolutely lovely. Their behaviour is very well described. You do great work in making the Pokémon seem real in general.

The setting is neat. It really feels like it fits the Pokémon world while being off the trainer track. I liked Alex gaining more confidence in the lay of the land as he stayed there. It's all nicely described, without ever feeling dull.

As a character, Alex feels well fleshed out and interesting. His insecurities are well portrayed. Him thinking about all the other people having such cool Pokémon was a good touch. I liked him having second thoughts about the trade.

The speculation about why the pidgey follow him and his image of having been the pidgey king was nice.

I loved the detail of Alex wearing too heavy clothing so that he could cuddle with Multi.

There are two mid-sentence paragraph breaks:
“The sun was blazing at its full height
now, and he could practically feel himself melting.” The break comes after "height"
“Sure, Sarah had promised him a traded pokémon as a reward, but there was no guarantee it would
obey him, or even that it wouldn't run away as soon as it could.” The break comes after "would".

Alex and Sarah's interactions are also excellent. I really liked her introduction to him bringing pidgeys to her orchard. Them talking about him getting more pokémon was very interesting and the way she then made the offer was great. Them talking about her becoming champion and him discovering that they were not so different. I liked the stories behind her Pokémon. His reaction to getting the egg made was heart-warming.

Cute ending too! How Sarah hears the news is nice. Alex's posturing as champion among the pidgeys is a great image and I love how his smile turns into a real one.
An Author's Pen chapter 1 . 1/2
Ah, this was so cute. The premise is a little wacky, but you really made it work. I liked the focus on the harvest and a life outside of pokemon training, and the way you wrote Sarah and Alex's interactions was really touching. I loved the image at the end of all the pidgeys cramming into the picture. Alex's character arc of going from finding the pidgey annoying to appreciating them was also well done, and the moral never felt heavy-handed.