Reviews for Beach Bashes and Banter
GlassMazeGazer chapter 36 . 11/24/2021
This was a very enjoyable read & that’s coming from one who’s not particularly inclined to read the modernized P&P fics. It was sweet without being saccharine (& not at all like Karo Syrup), funny, & believable. I thank you for writing a Darcy & an Elizabeth who weren’t exaggeratedly irritating and willfully obtuse (and for not stretching their conflicts all the way out until the last two or three chapters & then abruptly ending the story with the rush to a wedding & a promise that they live HEA).
GlassMazeGazer chapter 35 . 11/24/2021
I thought the tumor was a good choice as a device and that you chose to manage & explain the absurdities that exist in a modernized Mrs. Bennet. Even a Mrs. Bennet obsessed about, say, impatiently waiting for grandchildren while her daughters put that off for school &/or other reasons would be pretty lame.

The tumor device also carried a tangible, scientific (ish?) means of forcing Mr. Bennet to stop simply ignoring or laughing at his wife’s ‘silliness.’ In that way it works-out much better than what I had guessed was wrong when she didn’t recognize Darcy. My thought was Alzheimer’s then & even more so after the raw poultry incident, but that would have left the combining families in a long-term difficult state even in the best case scenario. An operable tumor allows for a realistic HEA all around (although I’m still pretty skeptical of finding a believable way to turn Lydia around….).
GlassMazeGazer chapter 33 . 11/23/2021
I’m enjoying the inclusion of the interspersed, good natured mocking of the common new couple romance tropes in this story with D&E going for more straight forward alternatives & even consciously making fun of the tropes yet still being silly & romantic in their own way. Nice touch!

Also, it suddenly connected in my brain in this chapter that the choice of alternative name for Caroline, a twist on the common fanfic fanon use of Caro (even having her exaggeratedly point out it was ‘Karo with a K’), just happens to be the same spelling of that somewhat icky Karo Syrup that nearly any desserts and sweets maker has employed in recipes becuz that’s just how certain things have been made for ages. Karo Syrup is unappealing and almost no one would treat it like the sorts of yummy, enticing syrups used for pancakes & waffles, but it has its function in recipes and you can’t really eliminate it from most of the recipes that call for it without either damaging the end results or taking extreme measures to compensate for the exclusion & still be able to get good results. Maybe it’s just my warped imagination (& my own squeamishness about using Karo Syrup) and coincidence that has me making a connection that wasn’t intended _or_ maybe it was intentional on the author’s part and I’m just really slow on the uptake since starting to read this fic in catching that bit of ironic wordplay. Either way, I’m finding it entertaining and satisfying to think of Caroline Bingley and that very dense, nearly tasteless but cloyingly sweet syrup synonymously.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 23 . 11/23/2021
The panic over the stairs was written very convincingly so I’m not surprised to read it was rooted in personal experience. My own moment like that was after having gleefully climbed to a high look-out platform of a state park. It was all open, nothing solid beyond the thick beams & planks but even standing on the platform looking out didn’t bother me. When I went to start down the stairs panic set in & I completely froze. I was too big by then to be carried so my father had to slowly coax me down. He wasn’t a particularly sensitive type & I didn’t get a smiley face to help, but we made it back to the ground eventually.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 14 . 11/22/2021
RE: Darleen — Wicks strikes again?
UNplugged3108 chapter 36 . 7/29/2021
Wow. What a great story. Sometimes when a modern follows canon events, it turns out a little formulaic but your story was riveting from beginning to end. I couldn't put it down! Thank you for sharing your talent.
Marway chapter 36 . 7/28/2021
Excellent story! I read all the chapters and loved it all. I loved the way you primarily stayed true to the story and characters of Austen, while brilliantly applying it all around a modern tale. Very well done!

With a bit more attention to proper punctuation and sentence structure, this book would be very worthy of publication.

5 stars for the the story!
Edward'sDJ chapter 36 . 7/4/2021
Very enjoyable and pleasantly non-brash, thank you
Edward'sDJ chapter 33 . 7/4/2021
The Bennets are becoming even more of a liability
Edward'sDJ chapter 30 . 7/3/2021
I've forgiven Darcy for his rude offer
Edward'sDJ chapter 29 . 7/3/2021
The Bennets are definitely holding Lizi back
Edward'sDJ chapter 23 . 7/3/2021
I had the same thing happen in a lighthouse, but no Darcy to save me
Edward'sDJ chapter 22 . 7/3/2021