Reviews for Cyclicity
pinkperson chapter 1 . 2/16
This is interesting. Nice to see a good fic from zells POV.
Ashley chapter 4 . 12/16/2020
More please!

What a wonderfully written story! And a very unique persoective! Looking forward to more!
Dee chapter 4 . 11/9/2020
I love the idea of Zell being good with a needle. I always pictured him as a man with many talents!

Loved the entire exchange between him and Rinoa. You wrote them as so comfortable with one another and it felt very real. Love how she tricked him and his reaction.

Super excited this is continuing!
colobonema chapter 3 . 11/1/2020
I missed this the first time around. I'm glad to have had the chance to find it now you've updated. The imagery and description is so very vivid, from Zell’s psychedelic trip through life and death and infinity on first junctioning Eden, to Zell’s childhood recollections of the orphanage. Your style, choice of words in particular, is really distinctive and it’s so interesting to read.

I loved “the galaxy falling open as idly as a child flipping through a story book.”

I like that you’ve made Eden female. Makes sense. I love that Zell doesn’t want to “burst into tears in front of a girl”. That’s one hell of a 'girl', Zell.

“His heart is vast.” Yep. Zell in a nutshell. Eden chose well. Which has worrying implications…

The part about the GFs origins was creative and poetic - the oaths of millennia of knights, the little girl’s prayer for rain. I love expansions on GF lore in fics so this kind of stuff is very satisfying.

Ma Dincht is sending care packages! But of course she is. Lovely Ma.

Zell being a violinist is a delightful idea. (Even if it did nearly cost him an eye) The dips into hints of Zell’s birth culture and ancestry were great.

I’m very glad you decided to revisit this story. I’m assuming in a hopey-hopeful sort of way that there’ll be more to come. If there is, I’ll definitely look forward to reading it.
Dee chapter 3 . 11/1/2020
Ok so I love this! What a unique story! Your writing is refreshingly descriptive! Zell's struggles, both inward and outward, are very easy to imagine. I can't wait for more!
luminum chapter 3 . 4/28/2019
Really enjoying this story. I like how you are exploring the danger of junctioning and the focus on the compatability aspect is interesting. I really like your characterisation of all the group, but your Irvine in particular is fantastic. Please write more!
Omegaender chapter 3 . 4/3/2018
This is really great, can we get more please? Seems like it’s more of a one shot but great concepts!
damaged7 chapter 3 . 3/7/2018
Really nice work so far. Excellent characterization and quite funny at times. FF8 gives so much room to explore the strange meta concepts it introduces and I like your take on them thus far. I hope you continue, I'm curious to see where this is going. Thanks for sharing.
Dee Moyza chapter 3 . 3/3/2018
Oh my goodness, this is amazing so far. I like how you highlight the effects of junctioning GFs, and the disorientation and danger that can arise from being incompatible with a junctioned GF (which leads me to wonder, in this context, whether maintaining compatibility with a certain GF is an ongoing process as well, because that seems like an excellent twist on not only the character-GF relationship, but also on which materials and spells are available for each character’s use). I am also enjoying the level of detail here, especially the battlefield minutiae, such as prepping for battle and recovering and looting afterward. It lends a greater sense of realism to the story, and helped pull me in.

But what I love most about this story is the characterization. Each character’s personality is faithful to what we see in the game, and their interactions with each other feel so natural. The pacing is great and I really appreciate the little bits of humor thrown in (Irvine’s line about Zell excusing himself for burping after devouring a hexadragon was excellent). Zell’s backstory is intriguing, and I like how you’ve tied it in to some of his present characteristics. I’m eager to read more of it.

You’ve got this reader hooked. I’m looking forward to reading more of this story in the future.
Becalmed chapter 3 . 1/29/2018
This is very beautifully written. I read the bit about battling the thorns with Ellone and thought that was the best thing I'd read, and then read the description of Selphie eating berries and I was very enamored with that, and then it just kinda continued throughout the whole chapter and I'm sort've just grossly in awe of your talent...so much so that I can't pull together a thoughtful review that you so very much deserve. I'm also really enjoying your descriptions of the GFs and their personalities, especially Quetzalcoatl. Looking forward to the next installment-I'm hooked.
SilentStarlightSky chapter 3 . 1/29/2018
Rambling Review: I liked how you had Rinoa trying to help out Zell at the beginning. I agree with Zell. Orange is a great flavor. It's my personal favorite out of the basic candy flavors. Irvine whittling was a nice detail. Selphie is like an industrious little squirrel. Too bad Kadowaki doesn't want her "help." It's interesting how you're going into the compatibility aspect of junctioning.

Squall. Squall. Squall. I like your Squall. He Rough Divided a grat! It was overkill, but he was bored. And he washed grat juice out of his hair in the TC stream? Nice touch. He's serious about training, but he's also serious about hair care... and he was probably bored because Dincht kept fainting. And then at the end, I laughed because Squall sure knows how to end a conversation. LOL!

I'm having so much fun with this fic.
SilentStarlightSky chapter 2 . 1/20/2018
His Ma taught him to be polite, aaaaaw! Selphie offering to bring Zell a magazine so he can learn more ways to beat up people was funny. I liked the way Squall didn't even look up when Zell went by.

What is the Luv Luv G Extract? Something that helps you get rid of your GF I guess? Maybe you'll go into more details about that later.

I'm completely loving this story! Your descriptions are great. I get completely immersed in the world when I'm reading it. Really, really enjoyable and I'm totally looking forward to more.
SilentStarlightSky chapter 1 . 1/17/2018
*Keanu voice* Whoa!

I was blown away by this! Your descriptions are amazing! I felt like I was right there.

I love how you talk about the drawing and junctioning system. (A lot of people didn't like that in the game, but I DID.)

And I love your characterizations. Squall's no-nonsense leading was great. Zell came across as being a sweet boy, despite being a fighter. And Irvine! I laughed so much at Irvine and the whole boob joke thing.

I loved the part when Squall was talking to the GF through Zell. The "15 seconds to get topside" was great, as was the knock to the head. I loved how Squall had to carry him out. Loved your description of Squall!

I read both chapters last night, and I think I might reread them again tonight. I'm still processing this. I'll review the other chapter later.
siobhane chapter 2 . 1/16/2018

There's a fic by DK called "That Which Devours," and there's something about this that reminds me of that story, though it's not at all similar on the surface (and highly recommended if you haven't read it).

Anyway I REALLY love the imagery and use of *sounds* in this. I also really enjoy the Irvine/Zell banter. Just the right amount of hostility and it really lightens the otherwise ominous mood (because fuck if Eden isn't terrifying). It's so nicely done and such a great read, I'm sad there's not another chapter. 3 3 3
siobhane chapter 1 . 1/16/2018
This. Is. SO. Good. The description, relating Zell's childhood near-drowning to the drawing/receiving of a gf, it's all so nicely done.

And my god, Irvine is so... Irvine. I'm still laughing over the boob looting exchange, btw.

Well done, and following for sure!