Reviews for Nightmares
Cre8ivelybankrupt87 chapter 2 . 4/17/2019
Yeah, Arnold is in a pretty unique family situation. Not to say that most kids take their parents for granted, but Arnold has suffered through so much fear and doubt that the mere thought of losing his parents again would probably be a certain constant dread that few could sympathize with, and that would lead to him feeling kind of isolated. Even after years of feeling self-conscious about his non-traditional family, now that he has a "traditional" one it's still anything but considering what they've been through.
But enough of the theoretical stuff, I do love how Arnold and his parents are able to just so naturally talk through their fears and anxieties in your stories, and it's completely believable. In spite of his fears, Miles and Stella give him the very simple but healthy advice to not worry about them and keep living his life, and that's really the only way to keep moving forward. And I do love the callback with Miles playing with Arnold's hat... aw man, and that just makes me sad that they went straight from his first to eleventh birthday... it's heartwarming and tragic all at once knowing that they're trying to make everything alright now but they will always be bearing the burden of missing out on Arnold's most formative years.
Hopeful, sad, heartwarming and full of regret... it captures all the feels of life and the marriage of all those conflicting emotions. Well done.
Cre8ivelybankrupt87 chapter 1 . 4/15/2019
That's right, Arnold. Count your blessings, pal. This is a perfect example of why despite TJM's happy ending, there really is a lot of potential for a continuation of the series, because it's not just happily ever after. I can't imagine Arnold having obtained his lifelong wish will be able to sleep easy for fear it might all have been a dream, or could still be taken away somehow.
That is a really great thought at the end, that Arnold is so caught up in helping others, his selfless nature is kind of a handicap when it comes to figuring out his own needs and trying to help himself. I imagine he'd be able to open up to his mom and dad about it eventually.
The bond between them is quite strong, seeing as how they left before he could remember them, and now meeting them they're essentially strangers. I think he just feels that he turned out the way he did by honoring their memory, and that's what makes their relationship so strong, and hopefully that'll get him through these night terrors of his.
As always, love how in depth you describe these thoughts and feelings of Arnold.
Rose-Aki chapter 2 . 5/26/2018
That Arnold still had nightmares about losing his parents is very realistic. Even after he has them back for good I can see him still worrying.

I liked that Stella and Miles waited for Arnold to come to them with his worries and the way they reassured him that they won't leave again.
metalheadrailfan chapter 2 . 4/29/2018
For sure this is something I can see happening. While his parents maybe back physically, Arnold still has a lot of emotions to work through and fears of losing them again is definitely on of the big ones.
Ajay435 chapter 2 . 4/20/2018
I can definitely get behind the idea that, even though he's got them back, Arnold's fears are getting worse due to knowing what he'd be losing if his parents left again. Especially after all he went through to get them back in the first place! And you do a great job of showing how they're all still a little nervous and unfamiliar with each other, but gradually becoming closer.

Certainly sows the seed for him leaving before The Patakis!
Ajay435 chapter 1 . 4/20/2018
Loved your description of the nightmare - definitely sounds like a dream that would terrify a child! It definitely makes sense that Arnold would still be troubled by fears of losing his parents again, given how adventurous they are.

And you make a great point about Arnold having trouble solving his own problems. He spends so much time and effort helping everybody else, he probably doesn't get much time to focus on himself! It makes sense that he'd have things bottled up that he didn't know how to deal with.
Azure129 chapter 1 . 3/21/2018
Hey!
I think the first chapter serves as a nice introduction to the problem of Arnold's you're trying to explore and works to address the fact that even though we only see Arnold have the one nightmare in the movie during his first day of sixth grade, it's actually probably something that plagued him ever since he got home from the trip. And it's nice to see Miles and Stella comforting him about it (probably the two ideal people to help him feel better and work through his issues with accepting that they're back in his life).
Azure129 chapter 2 . 3/20/2018
Hey! :)
I like the fact that you're addressing Arnold's nightmares. I know the movie just uses his nightmare at the end as a sort of 'fake out' plot device, but actually the fact that he would still be having nightmares like that even three months after getting back from San Lorenzo says a lot about how much the trip and the return of his parents has affected him emotionally. I'm guessing most of the post-TJM stories being written now are focused on Arnold and Helga, so it's nice to see one that looks at Arnold instead :) And I like how you have Miles and Stella be there for him, especially since they really must know he's having issues if he's been running downstairs looking worried each morning all summer like the movie implies. Good job giving Arnold a little closure and a chance to start healing!
Glad to see you writing again!
~Jenna
DarthRoden76 chapter 2 . 2/19/2018
Awww that was absolutely well written. I loved it! Thank you for posting this! Great story!
starfiction123 chapter 2 . 2/18/2018
Oh how inspirational! Good to see you back here! I loved this addition! It's so accurate and fits right in the timeframe! Keep amazing us!
The J.A.M. a.k.a. Numbuh i chapter 2 . 2/17/2018
Maybe they should go to the beach. :D :D :D

Great story!
Wordylady87 chapter 1 . 1/29/2018
Yes! We saved The Jungle Movie! I can't even begin to tell you, the night it premiered, my boyfriend couldn't decorate the Christmas tree; he was so excited. He and I jumped and bounced the entire time during the course of the movie, relishing in nostalgia.

You had that gripping feel throughout the entire fic. A wonderful insight to Arnold's feelings and his thoughts. I love fics like these. Imagine that, though. He's just getting to know his parents, what a great opportunity for growth and development towards Arnold as a character now that his missing pieces have returned. Really written well, great job!
SharonMckellie chapter 1 . 1/17/2018
Very interesting read, and you did a good job of getting into Arnold's head! Everything you mentioned was so true to how Arnold would act, think, and behave!

I know at the end of the TJM, Arnold mentions that he keeps having the same nightmare all summer. This fanfic is an interesting take on what Arnold's dreams would be like post TJM.

Keep writing! I am enjoying it! ;)
Guest chapter 1 . 1/16/2018
(Starfiction123 here) IG MY GOSH ABOUT FREAKING TIME! I EAS LIKE IK THE MICIE IS IUT EGERE IS HAFAN AT?! lol i know she's got something! Lol and finally you get a redobiut I'm actually surprised how accurate this fits in with your original version with some tweaks here and there. Git anything else? Luke on Helga? Seems she's been through a lot in the gap! Poor girl lives in the beeper store and is facing the my dream came true ..now what? Syndrome
DarthRoden76 chapter 1 . 1/16/2018
Sounds like Arnold might be going through a bit of PTSD.
I would be shocked if he didn't also have dreams about Lasombra too.
Great job so far, keep up the good work! ~DarthRoden76 (aka Carl)