Reviews for A Mother's Greatest Fear
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 1 . 5/23/2018
This was beautiful.
Honestly before I actually read this and didn't just skim over the summary, I thought there would be a death. But now that I think about it, the title works much better for this situation than the one I thought of.
Love how there wasn't an overwhelming amount of pure happiness in this story; instead focusing on the little moments of happiness that they could catch given the situation. Love the children's comments on the current state of the world, and that Louisa was off helping just as much as the boys were. Brigitta graduating with honours does not surprise me at all.
Maria's fear, as well as her slowly growing relief as Johannes seemed to get better, and her continued worry over the next little while was perfect, and each emotion was clear, and separate from the others.
Her running off to the church was spot on, as was taking Johannes and losing track of time. Love that when Georg showed up Maria was glad to see him in church at all. Love that in his mission to bring Maria home, he reminded her of something she had taught the family; and when she was back home, she was able to let Johannes go and put him in someone else's care.
Her last prayer being not to run away again was wonderful.

I noticed a few spelling errors, but it really doesn't matter; I could tell what you meant and it didn't detract from the story. And I'm glad Maria apologises to the doctor.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 1 . 5/16/2018
I really enjoyed this shot of Georg and Maria's post-movie life, especially because it shows a side of Maria that I don't think we see often. As much as I love Maria, she can be very goody-goody, and it's always made her kinda challenging to write for me. I lol'ed at that opening scene, where even her grumbling family seems to be tired of her constant cheerfulness. It was an interesting change here to see her getting impatient, snapping at people, and facing problems that she didn't know how to handle.

"Georg's no-nonsense discipline toward the children had benefits" - I think this line is a good connection to the scene of them in the church later, where he first shouts at her, but then has assumes more of the wise, gentle role that she usually plays to get through to her. You can see the two of them taking on a little of each other's temperaments here, which also an interesting change in SoM fanfic, and the different ways they react to the near-tragedy with Johannes is a good show-not-tell of their personalities.

There were a few more, but some of the typos I caught: as if {they} wondered if she were, since {President} Roosevelt died, as she {began} washing

P.S. Love the idea of Louisa as a Rosie the Riveter, too!
P.P.S. Stupid site logged me out the first time, so I'm posting this again from my account.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/16/2018

P.S. Love the idea of Louisa as a Rosie the Riveter, too!
Womenreligiousfan chapter 1 . 2/18/2018
Wonderful as always. I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
IDontKnowYourSignal chapter 1 . 1/20/2018
Beautifully written.
I loved all the little details showing how the war still impacted the family even after they fled Europe to the safety of the US. You had me laughing at Maria's appreciation of Georg's stern commands to the children when needed.
Maria's initial panic, her relief and then her fear were all so palpable. The way she turned to her faith was exactly what I could imagine her doing. But I loved how Georg came to the church to take her and Johannes home to the family. His initial frustration turning to tenderness and then understanding - loved his range of emotions.
Big hug for having experienced the terror of a similar experience. I can't imagine how hard it would be overcoming the ongoing fear afterwards.
Loved the detail, loved the depth of emotions.
kiwihipp chapter 1 . 1/19/2018
A frightening experience for any mother! I think you handled Maria's fear and the way she dealt with it well. Georg was extremely supportive of her.
bloomandgrow chapter 1 . 1/19/2018
As you know, I love historical fiction and I think you have done a wonderful job of giving a snapshot of a family in wartime - the rationing, the men at war, young women like Louisa working in factories.

The subject of the story is so heartbreaking and I am sorry to learn that you have experienced the terror of it yourself. I am so happy that your daughter was alright. I cannot imagine what it feels like to go through something like that. You have captured Maria's anguish so well, and Georg's too, in his more masculine way of masking his emotions. I love that Maria was able to see through his stern mask and see the dreadful fear beneath.

I agree, it makes Maria's fears when she was chased off by the Baroness seem trivial by comparison. It is probably much closer to that terrible moment when she was wondering if her husband was about to be shot and captured as they fled the Abbey.

I can understand Maria would initially only feel safe in a Church, especially since medical science could not offer any answers at that time, but how wonderful that Georg was able to bring her back using one of her own lessons to the children. It shows the depth of their love that they understand each other so well even in the midst of a crisis.

Thankfully we know so much more about SIDs now and the rate has gone down dramatically.
This was a poignant and heart wrenching story, beautifully written.
Leonie chapter 1 . 1/19/2018
Ah yes a mothers instincts. But in real life Johannes lived until old age and is survived by son sam von trapp.