Reviews for Worth a Shot
TrueBeliever831 chapter 1 . 7/5
This was a good insight into how Neville was feeling during the 7th year while Harry was gone. I mostly read post war fics unless they are for a challenge. so this was kind of nice, in a sad way. You wrote this well and packed quite the punch in this little fic. nice work.
RainyDayReading chapter 1 . 2/15
Wow.
The summary hooked me, and then the opening line was just fantastically done. You showed a lot of emotion in such a short drabble, and I really enjoyed that. I love the Galleon as a symbol- that was super well-done. And the way this fits so well into canon just makes it that much better :)
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 2/13
Well, this drabble is evil! How dare you torture poor Neville like this? *sobs as she clutches him to her chest*
Kidding aside, I did enjoy this. I think you did a nice job of characterizing Neville in this. How he floundered a little at first - normal, considering the circumstances - before standing up for himself and others and summoning the DA. I don't think I've ever read a fic set in that year that actually dealt with the instant they decided to restart the DA, so this was lovely to read, and I loved this take on it. I like to think that they were already rebelling before the Carrows started actually torturing people - not that I think it took them long to start - and that it was just more disorganized and the DA helped put all that in a proper rebellious shape.
My one problem is probably stupid, but... Like, why was Neville wearing a white shirt if he knew blood would show through it? I mean, if it was his first detention it could totally have been excused (it might even have been a little more tragic and touching that way to be honest) but the 'most recent detention' implies that there were others where he had to go through the same thing... Wearing white probably wasn't a wise choice if he knew he was going to be tortured, especially since he was trying to hide it from others. I feel like just one more line to explain it (maybe he didn't have any other shirt to wear, I don't know) would have made this so much more cohesive and into a truly great drabble.
The comparison between his detentions with the Carrows and Harry's with Umbridge though... That was inspired. I loved it.
The flow of this was very nice though, and your writing was lovely :)
Nice work!
Cheers! ;)
made to shine chapter 1 . 2/10
It was honestly amazing! You really showed Neville's determination, and in this short piece played his character well. I loved how you used the fake galleon/dumbledores army token or whatever as a symbol of hope for him. It was short, but truly amazing.
Cookies and Ink chapter 1 . 2/7
I love any fics set in the trio's 7th year, particularly those at Hogwarts. Having Neville's 'origin' story basically, how he gets inspired to start the student resistance was a stroke of genius. You had him perfectly in character and whilst there were a few little things (I'd suggest maybe reading it out loud to hear the flow, for me you were missing a few key commas but that really is me being picky) that didn't sit quite right in terms of punctuation, I really enjoyed this.

I think the fact that Neville knew and suspected how Hogwarts would be different, more dangerous and still went, how you explained how he wanted to protect kids and indeed his main thoughts through his drabble are to hide how hurt he is to not scare the younger kids, was perfectly in character for me.

A really powerful drabble, thank you.
ipsa dixit chapter 1 . 2/4
D: i hate the carrows
okay wow, the first part had me feeling really bad for neville. my /baby/
but i love how you made the fic turn up at the end, with neville taking out the coin and having it as a hopeful sign. it made the fic lighter and gives hope for a future. how do you do this in such a small fic aha
i love that this could easily be fit into canon, too :D very nice fic
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 2/3
Wow. That is a great opening line. I love seeing Neville contrast his expectations to what actually is happening in his seventh year. I also really enjoyed the reference to the fake Galleons and Neville using his as something to hold on to. This is a very interesting brief moment for Neville.
Lamia of the Dark chapter 1 . 1/29
Wow, now there's a strong opening line!

[no matter what he did with them] - This is oddly phrased. In the context of the rest of the sentence, this would read better if you replaced "with" with "to". Saying he'd do something *with* the wounds makes it sound more like an object that's separate from himself, not part of his own body.

You have some nice imagery here, like the scent of blood never really leaving him because he's constantly getting these "punishments" (AKA torture).

The DA's fake Galleon as a rallying symbol for the resistance is in line with canon, and a good reference to build on Neville's determination to carry on the DA in Harry's place.
StandingWind chapter 1 . 1/25
It's a good start for a story. The writing and structure is good and easy to understand. There is lots of potential for this story to become pretty good.