Reviews for Captain Tinkerbell
Kingsdaughter613 chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
Nice. I always liked the idea that Maglor met Tolkien and sent him on his way to find the rest of the stories. It just makes everything go full circle. Great job!
Lady Almaren chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Oh. Oh this hurt. It was beautiful but...my goodness. I really just want to give all of them a giant hug right now.
Mornen chapter 1 . 11/23/2011
Oh, beautiful.
Duilin chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
This is what I call a masterpiece.

You weaved history into this nicely, and I thought it was genius.
Tiara d' Cullen chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
This is really good, I just found it and I really like it. Will you continue it? Well, if its not done. I love it!
maglors harp chapter 1 . 1/12/2011
"The men already call me tinkerbell."

Haha! Brilliant! But tinkerbell should start with a capital T.

"This is all your handiwork, to believe anything else is to deny responsibility."

Hear hear!

"no one deserves to be so desperate, no matter what they have done."

Oh, I like the way you talk.

"It means a star shines on the hour of our meeting. It is a greeting."

"Rather beats hello."

Hell yeah...
CaelumBlue chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
I keep coming back to this. It's been a favorite for a very long time. And now that I've read John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War", I find that I have a new appreciation for this little gem of a fic. There really aren't any words to describe how much I love it. It's sad, and beautiful, and pretty much responsible for my love of the idea that Maglor (or some other Elf, but mostly Maglor) told Tolkien. Or at least pushed him towards the story.

A lot of this is just beautifully heartbreaking-the ginger twins, the allusions to the TCBS, how much Maglor misses his brothers, the bitterness he has towards the Valar, how the idea of returning silmarils sounds pretty good right about now. Maglor's determination to go to the worst places on earth because he's already BEEN there, and knows that no one should EVER have to be there, and, well, what else could he do that's worthwhile?

Thank you for writing this.

"They call this inhuman and I, on behalf of inhumanity, would like to object. This is all your handiwork, to believe anything else is to deny responsibility."

That line makes my heart skip a beat every time I read it.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 11/26/2005
A friend recommended this to me and I'm so glad she did,it is just brilliant! I love your take on where Tolkien got his inspiration from and the way you capture the horrors of the trenches.
Nol chapter 1 . 1/29/2004
I think I wrote this the first review I ever wrote for anyone. Having come back to it as I often do, I was seized with this insane wish to be a little more coherent and comprehensive(since that is my forte, yes!).
I think you've refined suckerpunch writing to an art. It isn't just the thrills one gets out of reading lines like
"Lament would be blasphemy. It is only the lesser words that can convey the experience of routine slaughter.", or
"Poetry. The difference between a mad elf and a dead one."
Or maybe it is. Or maybe it's just how you managed to pack in the sort of laughter and tears and despair and anger that writers dream of, and readers cling to. This is Tinks, wry and glorious and hopeless, and absolutely fascinating. I think it's marvellous how you've blended so much - the Silm, a Great War chronicle, and the Beowulf thread - so seamlessly. I suppose the word I'm looking for is 'virtuoso,' but really, you don't deserve a cliche. Forgive the inadequacy and the general fangirling - I just gave in to the impulse that hits me whenever I read this. :D
RavenLady chapter 1 . 11/15/2003
I love the line "we are enough like humans to understand, distant enough to be safe." You've really captured a lot of emotion and insight

and brilliance in here, as usual. What a beautiful ending!
Noldoris chapter 1 . 7/23/2003
Now I know why Tolkien fandom exists. Brilliant story. Do keep writing. : ) Peace,
Mouse chapter 1 . 6/22/2003
*cries*

What a beautiful piece of work.

Love the line: "On behalf of inhumanity ..."

Aw, I just love the whole thing.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 4/9/2003
I can't believe I've neglected to review this before now!

This story is wonderful. The diary format works well; the horrors of trench warfare come through all the greater because they are so understated in the diary entries. Maglor's quirky personality, so vividly caught in your series of biting one-liners, is captivating and completely believable. And his interaction with and concern for his men, especially Lieutenant "Beowulf" (of course he'd call him that!) is touching.

I do hope you decide to submit this story to HASA!
Citrine chapter 1 . 4/3/2003
Your story is so wonderful. I was toying with writing a story like this myself, but you beat me to the punch-and I am so so glad you did, because this is so much better than anything I could have written. I like your style, very spare and to the point, and very moving.
Tindomiel chapter 1 . 3/31/2003
this is a beautiful, fluent, moving fic. the characters are perfect and even believable. you described the wartime so well