Reviews for Evening Visits
and the storm rages on chapter 1 . 4/12
oh wow this was really interesting! the imagery at the beginning with the moonlight drew me right in, so fantastic job there :). you don't read many fics about the carrows and so this was a great read that offered much-needed insight into these often-forgotten characters (which is kinda my thing too aha ;)). my only critique is that, i know their characters probably aren't the emotional type, but despite that, i would have liked some more elaboration as to amycus's thoughts and such. it was very much an outward fic, in the sense that it focused on what was happening outside rather than the inner turmoil or feelings of the character. i do feel as though the storyline and plot you were going for could have used a tad more feeling. that being said, i definitely enjoyed reading this and props to you for having such originality! :D
~sienna
Emiliya Wolfe chapter 1 . 4/2
This is a lovely depiction of young Death Eaters (I think? I'm pretty sure it's pre-Battle of Hogwarts). I love that you've kept Amycus's violent tendencies, like when he's trying to find out who cast the spell, but softened them with his love for his sister, which was also clearly stated in JK's work. I really enjoy the way you write about Fenrir and Alecto usually, and was a little sad not to see her no nonsense attitude here, but that's what makes it even sadder. It was quiet, understated, and not dramatic, exactly what this fic needed for it to really touch your heart.
TrueBeliever831 chapter 1 . 3/31
This was actually pretty sweet. I guess I never thought of Amycus having that kind of kindness in him. I would kind of like to know whether or not Alecto is going to wake up or not. I haven't read the seventh book again [with the exception of the Prince's Tale Chapter] since it came out because, to be quite frank, I hated it. So, I don't really remember what happened in Ravenclaw tower other than Amycus spitting on McGonnagall and Harry being able to do the Cruciatus Curse. I think it is kind of nice he goes to visit her everyday...although his outlook about it is kind of dim.
Nice little sibling story. I rarely read them so this was a nice change of pace for me!
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 3/16
This is an interesting fic. I'm not sure why Amycus isn't in Azkaban, and why the Healer isn't concerned by known Death Eaters wandering her halls, but setting that aside.

It's interesting to see Amycus in a situation where he's softer than usual — it makes sense that Alecto would be his vulnerability like this.

I like seeing Amycus wishing for action, tired of waiting, but the Healer being calm and telling him that waiting is for the best. That was a strong point of characterization and it made a lot of sense.

Overall, I found this an interesting look at an often unexplored side of the Carrows.
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 3/15
Amycus&Alecto is an interesting sibling pair to focus on and this is softer than my own hcs for them is, but I enjoyed it. I could really feel Amycus' distaught over Alecto's condition not improving. Even with Alecto in the coma, I could definitely see how much they cared for each other.

I'm a bit curious as to how Alecto ended up in the coma and why Amycus isn't in Azkaban. But neither question really is pressing. It doesn't take away from the story at all.

I think you did a great job and would like to see more of your personal hcs for Amycus and Alecto in the future.
2olluxampora chapter 1 . 3/10
This was certainly different than what I normally read. I wouldn't have expected to ever feel sympathy with Amycus, since in canon, we really don't see anything of the Carrows besides cruelty and torture. However, I think you did a good job of capturing the mood of visiting a loved one in the hospital, and the constant undercurrent of fear that accompanies it when you have to make the trip day after day, and part of you knows that there won't be a happy ending. As someone who's experienced that, the mood definitely rang true, so kudos for that.

I was a little confused at points, though. Your summary mentions that the fic takes place after what happened in Ravenclaw Tower, but you don't explain why Amycus is free to be going about his business, talking to Healers, and so on, when he's presumably a wanted criminal. The mention of McGonagall reassuring him about Alecto's condition also felt a little out of place for the same reason. If this is an AU where things happened a bit differently, or if Amycus was pardoned for some reason, that should be mentioned, or if not, maybe throw in something about how he has to be disguised to visit Alecto so that he's not arrested or something like that. That one aspect of it was jarring and broke my immersion in the fic a little.

Overall, though, this was an interesting piece. I think the overall feeling of it and Amycus' inner thoughts on the situation were where this really shone. In the future, I'd recommend including some sort of explanation as to why the characters are so accepted by the others around them when dealing with people like the Carrows, as that was really the only flaw that stood out.
jennybenny2845 chapter 1 . 3/9
The overall tone of this drabble conveyed the overall sadness Amycus felt about what happened to Alecto. The little details about their childhood – Alecto always waking him up added more depth to the story. You could sense their closeness. I liked the line about Amycus wishing he could get revenge, but feeling defeated because of Alecto’s condition.

Nice job! I’ve got to hand it to you – you’ve made me feel sad for the Carrow siblings and want to pull for Alecto to recover!
Features of Blown Youth chapter 1 . 3/8
Before I begin, I just want to say that it feels a little off to have a known Death Eaters interacting in society after his actions in the war. Even reading the line that states his sister’s condition is keeping him from certain imprisonment, I find it hard to believe this would actually happen. The story implies that the Death Eaters lost the war, so why would they be allowed to run free in the city that they almost brought down with their direct actions? Perhaps you could have gone a little deeper into this, as it threw me off at the beginning of the story.

Aside from that point, I really enjoyed reading this story; your writing certainly made up for any inconsistencies in the plot!

Choosing to portray Amycus in a cold and almost stoic light was interesting, and then allowing his affection and worry for his sister to bleed through his facade turned him into a character that the reader could empathise with. I think that was a very good choice.
Portraying the ‘darker’ characters as human beings and stressing the fact that they too felt the repercussions and suffered losses from the war is a choice that always makes me admire the author who made it. In your case, I particularly loved that you showed his sadness and his loss of hope as he laid eyes on his sister whom he may never see conscious again.

The descriptions of the hospital were also very well written, and I could definitely picture its barron, and musty air.
The lines that show Amycus sitting beside his sister and watching over her with worry were very poignant and made me feel for him. The allusion to their childhood was also very heart wrenching and added to the idea of portraying him as a human being, and not just as a mindless drone created to inflict pain (as he is characterised in the books). Before reading this I did not expect to empathise with Amycus so very much, so congratulations for having made me do so.

Also, the lines about McGonagall disregarding Alecto’s injuries made me really think about how Amycus would be feeling, and how, in the case of war, we dehumanise those that fight on the other side to us. Amycus’ desire for revenge was very warranted in my eyes, and I liked how how showed his anger after experiencing the event.

Overall, this was very heartfelt and I absolutely loved reading it! Well done!
DobbyRocksSocks chapter 1 . 3/5
Okay, so my first question would be how is Amycus not in Azkaban. I just. Yeah. I am confused. BUT. That aside, I really like this look into the sibling relationship, and the idea of Alecto being left unconscious from being stunned is really interesting.
Your descriptions in this piece are very good as well, and I liked the introspectiveness of it. That most of it was Amycus' thoughts.
I love the idea of the Death Eaters POV's after the BOH, because most of the time, we only see the light side's perspective of the aftermath, so I really enjoyed that aspect.
Interesting Job, I am intrigued.
CelestialRosegold chapter 1 . 3/1
Now that there's nothing left of my heart...

This was painfully lovely. The way you portrayed Amycus' emotions even as he was walking through St Mungos is beautiful. And the bit about her tiny hands waking him up as well as the contrast with how he is the one wanting her to wake up... And of course the ending where he knows she might not make it but refuses to think about that outcome. The Carrows are angsty enough, but this is a whole new (wonderful) level.
slythrclw-shdwhntr-46 chapter 1 . 2/16
Sorry, Maisie! I totally forgot to score you...
Lumos forum score: E (Exceeds Expectations)

Whoa. Okay. This was intense. I don't particularly like Amycus or Alecto, but the way they were portrayed here made them seem so much more human than J.K's description of them. The way that Amycus remembered being awoken by "Alecto's small fingers and her little voice begging him to get up and play with her" was precious. I never see the villains as kids, for some reason, but this made me picture them as children perfectly. I loved the last line; it showed such loyalty and faith to his sister, and those aren't emotions I think much about Death Eaters. Or thought, rather. I can totally see him being faithful now, and you have gotten me stuck on this sweet depiction of these two. Despite having hated these canon characters for years, I suddenly find myself wanting to read more.
Congratulations on a great fic.
~ Alana
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 2/13
So this is very interesting and all, but why isn't Amycus in prison? I can get Alecto, since she's sick - they probably don't put comatose people in Azkaban (though considering what the kiss is I do wonder what they do with the Kissed people, do they kill them or what?) - and I could see Amycus getting like, perhaps, visits like once a month to see her from prison, but not every night? I don't know, it just feels like a pretty big plothole to me since you don't explain it all :/
Apart from this though I did enjoy this fic. I liked your characterization of the Carrows, how much Amycus cared for his sister and worried about her state. Those memories of when they were kids and she'd wake up when he poked her, only now she doesn't were just so bittersweet and lovely! I loved the imagery you created as Amycus got to St Mungo's too. The atmosphere was dark and gloomy and perfect with his mood.
I liked getting this side of the aftermath too, plothole aside. Like, we usually get the 'light side's' version of the end of the war, with them rebuilding, healing and everything, but next to no one writes to what happens to the surviving Death Eaters then, much less from their point of views. I really wish you had given an explanation for why the Carrows were roaming free (even just one line) because it's really bugging me and keeping me from enjoying this as much as I know I can.
Also that line where Amycus remembers McGonagall dismissing his concerns about his sister is just... So good. I love it. And I can actually totally see it. I mean, Minerva would even be right to do it after what they did to her students, but you still managed to make me feel sorry for the Carrows, which, let me tell you isn't easy - so kudos for that :p
All in all, this was a very nice story :) I had a nice time reading it. Good work!
Cheers! ;)
SecretFruits chapter 1 . 2/12
Lovely piece!
I like your description of the ward, with the musty smell, and how quickly after the war it was full but the crowd soon died down - describes the way people can react to trauma really well, so much attention immediately after and then none. I loved the imagery of Alecto poking Amycus awake as they were young, and his memories as he visits her ward.
I also liked that you sprinkled that bit about a cell in Azkaban in there - reminder that, as sweet as this is, they are both still bad people.
accidentallybroken chapter 1 . 2/12
Ooh, this is an interesting concept. It's not often that we consider the perspective of the Death Eaters after the Battle of Hogwarts, or the losses they suffer. I think you've done a great job with their relationship, and taking a character that's hard to like and making the reader at least sympathize with him. I can't say I like the Carrows, but I did enjoy this work.