Reviews for When a Curse is Not a Curse
FireInLife chapter 6 . 10/11/2019
Yes, I have definitely enjoyed this story! It was an absolutely delightful read, and you certainly did a fantastic job writing in. I recently got back into Detective Conan, the story that got me into reading fanfics, and Ranma is easily one of my favorite stories of all time. I've never seen a crossover between the two pulled off so well. There was another one, but that was a bit short (and a little bit of character bashing involved).

I love the way you handled the Ranma 1/2 cast. You did an incredible job showing how things have changed a lot, but also didn't change much at all (if that makes sense). It feels a lot like how it would actually play out in canon.

And the way you integrated Ranma and Satou's character was so well done! This story made me realize how many similarities they actually did share. I love it a lot.

And for Japanese culture, and how Conan reacted to Satou's speech and personality. I certainly can't claim to be an expert on Japanese culture or language, but much of what you said or implied in this story seemed to be accurate from what I understand. It was occassionally a bit subtle and I might be wrong, but I get the feeling you know a lot about the topic.

I also know what you mean regarding your concerns about making Satou too powerful and Mary Sueish. I'm no writer, but I've imagined a crossover multiple times (usually idle thoughts while sleeping), and I always felt it was too easy to fall into the trap of making Ranma too strong and 'fixing' everything. And that just doesn't make for an engaging story like you mentioned. However I feel you have done an excellent job of crossing the two series together. I can't reiterate that point enough, really. For a magical and chaotic world like Ranma 1/2 to be combined with the logical and scientific world (even if it some things are a bit of a stretch) of Detective Conan is no easy feat.

So thank you for writing this! It was an absolutely joy to read.
Guest chapter 6 . 4/23/2019
A friend linked me to this recently and I found it surprisingly interesting. It's not a romance, or a friendship piece. None of the characters are truly in any danger nor does it really team them up. It's more of a pair of character studies, via exploration of mystery. I enjoyed.
zekses chapter 6 . 4/9/2019
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
BTB chapter 6 . 12/8/2018
I really enjoyed this crossover. It gives some added pizza to 'the Great Detective, Conan' that the series is missing. I find the Seito character more interesting than some the original's 'in-the-know' additions. It can't be easy to write, even if you have the original author's mysteries to play off of. Eventually, you have to start digging into the 'Black Organization' and the consequences of them noticing you.

I would hope you would find it in you to continue.
Cracky chapter 6 . 9/12/2018
Open and shut case Johnson!
Feakiu chapter 6 . 9/5/2018
I would love a sequel.
Guest chapter 2 . 6/26/2018
What Akari and Ryoga need is to get the piece of paper and a friend internet-ordained (or ask Soun to fake it through his position as a Councilman) and have said friend live-in on the farm for a month or two until they can both sign and witness all at once. Then file it and bam, legally married.
A farm in the middle of nowhere theoretically makes a good vacation, if they don't mind the smell, so a long visit shouldn't be a hardship to at least one person out of everyone they both know.
Random Casual chapter 6 . 6/17/2018
Hey, I was wondering, would there be any sequel to this story?

You really got a gripping idea here, and I am sure many people would love to see more of it.
Kolgrimmur Bectelson chapter 6 . 6/15/2018
Thank you. This was a rather well written story with competent and compelling plotting and characterization. Unfortunately this is the only time I have ever been exposed to Detective Conan so how well you actually integrated the storylines is beyond my ability to gauge. I will say I am off to your author's page to discover what else you may have to share and I expect that I may well begin to follow your submissions based on what I see there. Oh btw as it should be apparent, I freely enjoyed this story and am hopeful of reading more.

Regards,
Kol
Cataquack Warrior chapter 6 . 6/14/2018
First of all, I want to emphasize that this is a great story. You do a wonderful job as a writer, and I enjoyed the story.

Still, I have to agree with your own self-criticisms that you didn't really reach the full potential of this crossover. I actually thought that your temp omake at the end, despite it being somewhat out-of-character for Miwako, was in some ways better than your actual approach to the final talk between Conan and Miwako. I liked how it brought in more of the Ranma 1/2 zaniness, and I liked how you actually had Conan and Haibara witness the power of the mushroom rather than just hear about it.

One other thing that bothered me a little was Miwako immediately jumping to the conclusion that Conan needs a cure. There have been a few episodes where Conan has found some trick to temporarily bring back "Shinichi", so I think Miwako would have thought that Shinichi is just choosing to take the form of a kid for some reason, not realizing that he's stuck that way.

I also felt a little unsatisfied that you brought up some interesting subplots such as Kuno's girlfriend/Ranko doppelganger Nadeshiko, Akane and Ranma's romance, and the whole issue with Ryu, only to leave them just hanging there at the end.

Still, it's a great story, and I've enjoyed reading it all the way through. I just hope that in the future you can address the weak areas you stumbled on here and play up to your strengths as a writer.

One more thing: I'm hoping you'll leave your notes when you finalize the fic. Like annotations, they help us understand your thought process and how you developed the story, which can be rather interesting. Please consider at least keeping the omakes.
Richard Ryley chapter 6 . 6/13/2018
Amusingly enough, the Temporary Omake is pretty much the one thing most in the spirit of Ranma 1/2 you've posted in this story. The rest of the story has been more Detective Conan style, but that's fine too. I would keep it, even if it's not "canon".

This is the first time I've reviewed this story, but I've been following it since the first few chapters and really liked the combination. As you've noted, though, it's going to be hard to meld the forensic reality of Detective Conan with the chaotic magic of Ranma 1/2. I'd suggest making Nerima (and Jusenkyo and the Joketsuzoku) a secret "pocket" of magic in an otherwise normal world. Ranma 1/2 comes off as if magic is more widespread, but that would be hard to resolve with Conan's past experiences.

I also suspected that once the Mushrooms were brought up, assuming Miwako could find some, Conan might be of two minds about using them. On the one hand he's cured, on the other, the Black Organization would certainly begin hunting his true self. Perhaps his best bet would be to use the mushrooms to make his condition a triggerable "curse", like Jusenkyo curses. He has managed to return to teenaged form a few times in the series, and reassure Ran that he's still all right. Being able to control that would be a big help, and potentially open up the possibility of letting her in on the secret.
OBSERVER01 chapter 6 . 6/12/2018
an excellent way to end the fic. i would live to see a sequel :)
mountainelements chapter 6 . 6/12/2018
I'm impressed with how well you tied things up and the meaning behind the story's name. Once again, everyone feels in character, and I'm glad that Miwako escaped the craziness of Nerima.

I'd suggest keeping the Potentially Temporary Omake but perhaps in a separate story or chapter. The other omake should probably be separate from the main story as well. The omakes make this chapter deceptively long, and it can be hard to keep track of where you are in long chapters if you can't keep the tab open and don't have time to read it all at once. Thanks for finishing this!
Guest chapter 6 . 6/12/2018
would definitely want to see you continue this. while writing out anything in the future regarding the black org would be tough, i can see things going much faster, and very interesting were the nerima crew to get involved. we also NEED to see what happens with the precinct gossip/former partner somehow hears about the possible kumon engagement.
Armiture chapter 6 . 6/12/2018
I'm not familiar with Case Closed/Detective Conan but I found the story quite enjoyable and I'll probably look into more crossovers with the diminutive detective. While I was hoping for a longer story, I did like how it was left up to Conan to take a leap of faith and cure himself.