Reviews for The Sickening
godfreyraphael chapter 28 . 10/17
Ah well, here we go. Josie (or Jodie, I can't really remember) is definitely going to become an involuntary (unless the Yeerk assigned to her is a bit more sympathetic than others of their kind). Darren (or whatever the younger boy's name is) sounds like he'd love to be a voluntary but who knows what kind of Yeerk he's going to get. And Helen, well... she's in a really bad situation at the moment. Sure, she called out Yalran but, like Animorphgirl said, there's no stopping Yalran from pretending to be Beth. Unless Helen demanded the Yeerk get out of Beth's head, and Yalran's probably not going to do that. And Tellarin may or may not agree to it seeing as Helen is still very much a viable host for the Empire. Everything's about to come to a head, and the results won't be pretty, methinks.
Animorphgirl chapter 28 . 10/17
Powerful chapter, especially the ending. I wonder how Yalran will react to being called out. Granted, she can pretend to be Beth...
osmiumpeach chapter 27 . 9/21
So this is then, then. Helen and Caleb are becoming controllers - and, this time, nothing will save them at the last moment.
All we can do now is to hope they become voluntary hosts and/or get a nice yeerk as to be treated decently by their yeerks.

I can't wait to see how they will react to the news and how they will see Beth before realizing the yeerks have total control over the host's movements - will they be angry that she lied to them and lured them in the Sharing without telling the truth or will they guess she was, in one way or another, coerced into doing that?
Another thing I'm quite eager to see is how they will see Beth after their infestation - especially if they become involuntary hosts and meet Beth in the cages.
Animorphgirl chapter 27 . 9/14
Another cliffhanger! I cannot imagine what Helen's reaction would be. Or other potential members. Then again, at this point, they might just think it's a code word or a type of secret language that full members use after they're official in The Sharing. Anyway...you did well with showing Beth's concern with Yalran communicating directly with Kessam in the Pool. Something you could develop in future chapters, either with Yalran being the one to explain it, or another Yeerk. I appreciate Beth's concern with Yalran mating and being taken away from her. As well as Yalran's response that implies that Yeerk partnerships are kind of like human ones-except for the obvious pieces-and don't result in grubs for many, many years. I am looking forward to seeing how Helen reacts to what being a full member truly entails.
godfreyraphael chapter 27 . 9/10
To quote one of those memes: Ah shoot, here we go again. To all of those soon-to-be "full members" of the Sharing, I'm telling you to savor these last few moments because there won't be much of it after this. How is the process of infestation so avoidable and yet so inevitable at the same time? It gives me shudders trying to think about it.
osmiumpeach chapter 26 . 7/24
As much as Beth's idea about Yalran showing her daydreams might seem good, I can see it become a problem rather easily. Since Yalran would probably show what Beth want to see, Beth could very well see it at the only way she can have some controleven though it would be nothing but an illusionand become addicted to it: it would be the only moment she could be "free" and virtually the only thing she can do (other than waiting) while Yalran is in control.

Also, I find it quite interesting how Yarlan seem to constantly change her mind about hosts treatment: one moment she look like agreeing with Beth that Yeerks should share control rather than taking it by force(even if she has no problems with infesting by force) and one moment later, she look like she don't care about it and believe shsring control beyond the strict minimum is the way to go; this was very noticable in the last chapter when she gave Beth full control around her friends and seemed like she was ready to let her talk to them only to take control of her head the very moment she did.
godfreyraphael chapter 26 . 7/12
I think we all know what Yalran wants: a body, plain and simple. Maybe she prefers a human body, but I think it's safe to say she wants any body other than her own Yeerk one. Not so sure about her wanting to share with someone else, as her situation with Beth shows. They're just working together out of convenience, although there might be little inklings of a maybe budding friendship there, but is it really going to be a friendship? Maybe under different circumstances. But as we've seen, if you're a Yeerk who befriended your host under the Empire, well, that's not going to end very well for you.

Nice chapter though. Let's see where this takes us next.
Animorphgirl chapter 26 . 7/9
Another powerful chapter, especially with that ending. Makes you wonder what Beth would do concerning her agreement with Yalran were her Yeerk to be given an order to infest Beth's family. I imagine that Beth would either keep her end of it, or Yalran would give her permission to fight to warn them. At the last part of the chapter, I cannot help but wonder what the other humans in Beth's cage were thinking. Granted, they seem to have given up and aren't taking much note of their surroundings, BUT that's a fairly big thing for Beth to have revealed out loud. It will be interesting to see how Yalran reacts when she's back in Beth's head. Not to mention that Yalran has, doubtlessly, been wondering the same thing, herself.

Looking forward to reading your next chapter!
Matt chapter 25 . 7/3
Really hope you update What Remains, I really like it.
osmiumpeach chapter 25 . 6/24
So it seems Beth's friends are doomed, now. Other than revealing the truth, there isn't much Yalran can do to prevent them from becoming full member - and she definitively does not strike me as the kind of yeerk who would do that.
I'm quite curious to see how Beth will react to that: will she find a way to force Yalran to save her friends or will she accept they're doomed and find a way to ensure they become voluntary hosts so they can get a better treatment?

Also, I wonder if Yalran is aware she's just a jerk for not sharing control or if she genuinely believe her justifications. Even if we accept the premise that involuntary infestation is, as Yalran claim, justified, there is no reasons for the yeerks to take control by force instead of aiming for some sort of "forced symbiosis" - or, at least, to give full control to the host as long as s/he accept not to reveal anything.
godfreyraphael chapter 25 . 6/18
And there it is. Helen's about to see the Sharing for what it truly is. Judging by the setting, I'm thinking that Helen does get infested for some time before the end of the war. I wonder how that has affected her relationship with Beth post-war. Now I know what I'll be waiting for in the next chapter.
Animorphgirl chapter 25 . 6/15
Great chapter! Very powerful, and your changes since the first draft are noticeable! :) I still think Yalran is making excuses for her behavior, but at least she’s trying. Looking forward to the next installment.
osmiumpeach chapter 24 . 6/9
Nice chapter as alway!

It's quite interesting to see how Yalran is apparently willing to let Beth have full control in front of other peopleafter all that time where Beth, despite being given control, was still isolated from the "outside world" and, in a way, still trapped in her own mind.

I also find it interesting Yalran is now agreeing that letting Beth be in control around other people isn't too much to askespecially since, not a long time ago, she wasn't even considering giving Beth any kind of control or respecting her privacy.
Seeing this evolution, I'm wondering how Yalran would have become if she had stayed with Beth for the whole duration of the war: would she still fully support the empire without caring much about involuntary hosts or would she end up sharing the YPM ideals and wish the empire would only infest voluntary host without taking control by force.
Kharina1990 chapter 24 . 5/27
There's a lot of negotiation going on here, which I love, along with Beth questioning herself. It's such a horrible position for her to be in, knowing Yalran will still try and infest others but wanting to compromise with her to save her own family. Looking forward to seeing how their relationship continues to develop :)
godfreyraphael chapter 24 . 5/24
Interesting, very interesting. That's an interesting dilemma that's developed between Beth and Yalran there. Beth knows that Yalran is going to do everything to advance the Yeerk invasion and yet she also knows that there's nothing that she can do about it because if Beth reports Yalran's "sympathy" because that will just mean that Beth will be transferred to another Yeerk with no guarantee that they will care or even understand Beth like Yalran. Both of them are in as good a position as they could have made for themselves and neither of them wants to see that broken up.

Can't wait to see what the next chapter will bring.