Reviews for Don't Be A Fool
great fic
LibeRATE1511 chapter 1 . 7/24
Excellent
1life2ROCK chapter 1 . 5/1
Really enjoyed this! Very well written.
starlite22 chapter 1 . 4/12
I enjoyed the story up until Scarlett ditched her kids at Xmas, you made her a better mother and changed her, I don’t think she owould of followed Rhett so quickly and not make Home wait until after Xmas, and him not want to see them either, the first half was good but after Rhett arrived not so much.
Truckee Gal chapter 1 . 3/11
Aside from a fervent wish your story was told utilizing 8 or 10 chapters, I thoroughly enjoyed this version of what happened afterwards. Scarlett permanently returning to Tara sits well and throwing her grief into restoring what Gerald had created feels right.

Giving Rhett the peace he requested in Charleston was a brilliant move since he did have time to work out his grief. Fortunately, it also gave Eleanor time to build a case for Scarlett and show Rhett it wasn't a one-sided corruption of their marriage. This sad commentary by Rhett of his own behavior is poignant: "He had thought only of himself in his retreat, his own tiredness and heartbreak. He did not know the woman who sat before him, but he was certain he had played a part in the breaking of his former source of amusement."

Now, in order for Rhett to truly love and understand his wife, he needs to spend time with Scarlett at Tara. I do admit it would have been lovely to have a scene of Scarlett and Careen reuniting, but its absence does not harm your story. So kudos to you for a job well done that soothes and satisfies the tormented ending of the original.
Sarah Shilo chapter 1 . 2/24
This was wonderful.
KaremL chapter 1 . 2/23
You didn't know it, but I was waiting for this story.
I want to second a lot of the positive comments made about this story. I, too, think that it would be uncharacteristic of Scarlett to chase after Rhett and act pathetic. I also like how Rhett - thanks to his mother's intervention - admits that he made mistakes in the relationship too. For me, that's key to any reconciliation.

I have one question, though. In the scene with Rosemary, did you mean to suggest that she disapproves of Scarlett and of Rhett's relationship with her, or just that she and Scarlett will probably never be friends? I suppose the reader can decide.
Two words, integrity & dignity and your wonderful fanfic had both in abundance. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Loved your original take on what could have happened.
gumper chapter 1 . 2/21
Wow; this is quite an undertaking. Very nice surprise to find such a comprehensive and complete new story available. Thank you!

If I might make one suggestion, I think it would be easier to read if broken up into chapters. You are covering a LOT and to read it all in one continuous flow felt a bit overwhelming (to me).

I liked it! I love any Scarlett who is pointedly NOT chasing Rhett and being generally pathetic. I can totally see her retreating to Tara and focusing her life/energy on other pursuits despite the "I'll think of SOME way to get him back!" threat/vow at the end of GWTW. Sure; she's thin and subdued..who wouldn't be after all she has been through the past few years? I love that she took what he said to heart - believed him - and just let him be. I love that SHE preemptively initiated a divorce conversation and was willing to cut him loose.

Not so sure that Rhett could sleep next to her for 3 months without a moment of SOMETHING but hey; I'll go with it?
I'll never read the book because I know how frustrated, angry and sad it would make me with these two, because if certain changes were made and they were really honest with each other and themselves - they could have been so happy. That's why I'm grateful for fan fiction, seriously. It's a wonder. Thanks for writing. I do ship these two when it's canon divergent.
It is lovely
Christine chapter 1 . 2/21
I know just what you mean about the book breaking one’s heart even during a re-read, when we should know what to expect by now! This was so beautiful, I was not expecting the length but it was perfect and I love how you stayed true to the characters and brought the story to a happier and satisfying end. Thank you so much for sharing your work!
Lovely
I loved it! Wonderful writing and I so enjoyed reading a fic that just had a natural flow and end, no super dark angst,no hysterics. I always imagined Scarlett going back to Tara and throwing herself into the life there rather than tailing Rhett and while I never thought of it, if they were to remain married and Rhett was to try to live respectably in Charleston he just may have needed her to return the favour of “keeping the gossip down”. Hopefully you get back into your other fic too which is very original , thank you for this little gem!