Reviews for Eros and Agape
The Sushi Monster chapter 1 . 11/18/2012
So I'm slowly making my way through your Firefly fic (years and years too late, sadly) and I find this is one of the best things I've ever read.

River's thoughts are just so heartbreakingly real and blunt and I love it; the comparisons she's making are totally reasonable since she's smart, but not necessarily wise. And you've captured that perfectly.

And of course the "He would die for her. But he lives for Kaylee." part is one of those lines that captures the sense of a group dynamic so perfectly. Lovely, lovely fic.
Palmyran chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
I realize this was written yearsandyears ago, but I just wanted to drop a review because it's so fantastically well-written and insightful.

You've got that uncomfortably frank vibe that River naturally entails down to a perfect T. As with the deleted scene in "Our Mrs. Reynolds," she seems to fumble with analyzing her relationships with those around her, but that doesn't mean she fails to understand it. She also lacks some of the social conditioning that would make her believe that it is inappropriate to compare her relationship with her brother to his romantic relationships with other women, which means, of course, she would have to reason it out herself.

Fantastic job. I hope you return to writing Firefly fics in the future, because you've probably got the best collection of writing I've seen thus far.

Cheers!

KLF
deleted111 chapter 1 . 5/11/2011
Literally I have no idea who the characters are, never heard of Firefly but I just randomly clicked on this fic and it's GREAT :)
Marie King chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
Another wonderful fan fic. You encapsulated River's relationship to Simon
Kamp chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
i had to look up what the word agape means. and then i read the story. and i really like how you wrote it. compare and contrast type thing. different sorts of love. it's sad, but i like it.

i was thinking of that deleted scene from our mrs. reynolds. where river demands shepherd to marry her and her brother. and that just made it a lot sadder. the whole understanding, but not comprehending, love.
Zucht chapter 1 . 7/26/2006
Talk about a blue River. The story was sad and ethereal.

I think you're the best author on the net!

Till later.
Stormkpr chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
Wow, this is just gorgeous. It's spot-on, a crystal clear look at these relationships. Your writing style is fabulous and I felt I was inside River's head; you've captured the rythym of her.
kt chapter 1 . 2/20/2006
love it

but i don't mind the 'cest like some of the other people

very well writen too
Rhiann chapter 1 . 9/20/2005
I really, really love this. It's just so amazing. Especially the last 8 lines in the conclusion~ along with the "He would die for her...but he lives for Kaylee" (was excellent!). It really rang true in my head, the way River's reaction might be to the whole S/K relationship.

Very well done :).
Midzst chapter 1 . 6/22/2005
That was freaking awesome.
jaewalker chapter 1 . 5/10/2005
Outstanding!
Little Puppy chapter 1 . 4/8/2005
Love it, this is awesome. We just learned about Ero, agape, and the last one (I think its philia) so this all make sense to me. I love it!
l-Link-l chapter 1 . 4/20/2004
Aww. See, I'm on board with the CSI. I admit it. Hell, I EMBRACE it. 'Cause I see it! But I love Kaylee and want her happy too, y'know? So I went into this fic, ready to stomach the Simon/Kaylee but secretly really wanting the CSI.
I like that you've described Simon in the two lights: ready to die for River but living for Kaylee. I haven't seen the entire season of the show yet (I'm half way through, up to "Jaynestown"), but I have to disagree with one tiny note in the story. And this is probably my little CSI heart at work so you may disregard it if you like, but it's said that Simon searches for Kaylee first when he enters a room. I just couldn't see that after all that I've seen in the show (especially the attention, and more importantly *inattention*, he gives River and Kaylee in "Safe"). However, it's still believable that this would happen if one takes into account the early throes of love. I probably shouldn't judge until I've seen the entire series, huh? :)
You've successfully given both ships justice, I believe. Without alienating the Simon/Kaylee people with any direct CSI, you still allow our imagination to wander. To be inside River's own roaming thoughts about a love she hopes for but does not have. The bittersweet reality of her solitude is lovely, if not a bit saddening for we Simon/River folks. :)
Nice job.
Litwolf chapter 1 . 12/21/2003
very good but kinda sad for River but still very good
glamaphonic chapter 1 . 8/29/2003
Straight off the bat I'll tell you that the CSI squicks me muchly and yours is the only remotely Simon/River fic I can stomach.

The language is beautiful and poetic. And I can almost bend my mind around the CSI in it because River is so screwed up emotionally that I can see her feeling this way for the exact motivations that you give her.

He feels things for Kaylee that he doesn't feel for her. So she's jealous.

Last two lines sum it up nicely. "He's her brother, and he loves her. But it's not the same."

So great fic and great job at taking something that makes me go "Ew." and making me actually be able to read it.