Reviews for Mordo Esseron
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 4 . 4/4
Mmmm there’s so much good stuff in this one! I’m back on my copy-and-pasting—there are so many delightfully resonant lines here, and I wanted to highlight some favs :)

“...the fourth prince was one of his works, forged of questions and defiance...”

“Morifinwë was Fëanáro when he lost his mind...”

“Morifinwë was a beacon to light Fëanáro's hidden shifts of mood, the invisible frown of his features, his hidden displeasure in works smooth and perfect as he gritted his teeth and searched for another error that could be corrected.”

I love the parallels you draw between Fëanor and Moryo here, not just the extreme emotions but the high standards and perfectionism.

“...those who tried to bend the Void to their will fell and shattered.”

NOT FAIR. That hit me right in the feels.

“Yet red, upon the face, was a bad sign – in any case, that of uncontrolled emotion, or stirrings of inappropriate behaviour...”

Love Tyelcano here :) And I also love how this emphasis—the expressive emotion as loss of control. It’s such a great parallel with the theme of perfectionism.

“...the brother he'd scorned sat upon an imaginary throne with an imaginary crown...”

What a good description of Maglor at this point. The cadence of it really sticks out to me for some reason.

“...the sort of sorrow that burns your insides and angers you instead of making you despair.”

! That is Caranthir. That is him all over. Brilliant.

“...maybe one that did not shallow his being down to shards of colours or shady symbols.”
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 3 . 3/25
More fantastic insights in this fic! So many things stood out to me again - it's so refreshing to see Tyelko captured in a multifaceted light here. (It seems like he's unfortunately the kind of character who way too often gets reduced to a single trait/dimension, when there's sooo much going on under the surface)

But anyway, These Are A Few of My Favorite Things:

The distinction between power and strength in the first piece! And also just the pervasiveness of Feanor's influence on him, both in that first section and in the second one, where Feanor's influence is contrasted so gorgeously with Nerdanel's.

Calling his Sindarized name 'scarred and mutilated' - I 100% agree that he wouldn't use it, even before the Nargothrond fiasco, and especially not after.

And ooh, just all the themes in the 'the Fair' section! That piece gave me the biggest 'Dorian Gray' vibe, and I love it :)

Such lovely work here, as always!
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 2 . 3/21
This chapter is absolutely beautiful. This is going to sound strange, but I love the *omniscience* of each of the sections here - even the amilesse and ataresse sections have such a sense of foreboding and nostalgia and regret all at once.

More favorite lines for this piece, but honestly it's hard to choose because the language is so consistently gorgeous and perfectly chosen.

"The wind blew through him, and for a time, it made a sound." What a perfect way to 'sum up' these reflections on his music in Aman, and it creates such a sense of the changes to his music that are going to come about in the later sections.

"not evil, never evil (which he maybe was after all)" WOW. And I so love the way you play with the elvish linguistic distinction here. Tolkien would be proud :)

"Not in the eyes of Atar, at least; and those days, Atar's eyes encompassed the whole world, and maybe the Void beyond." I love the non-sequitir of sorts between the two clauses here, the two different ways to think of "in his eyes" - whether meaning his judgment, or his ambition. (And the doom of the Void that will come from the latter.) Those two elements create such an impression of Feanor and his pride.

"Clad in black or blue, or black-and-blue" Same words, two tremendously distinct images. Brilliant.

"Until the golden voice became rusty, the strings thineed and the words blurred into one irregularly pulsating beat, gradually devored by the heightening tide on a horizon of fading." There's a lyricalness and a cadence to this final line that fits Maglor so well.

Anyway, I love this series already, and I can't wait to read your take on Celegorm!
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 3/21
Oh wow, I absolutely love this concept for Feanorian Week, and I'm going to say up front how excited and I am to read all of these - especially as this one for Maedhros is absolutely breathtaking. There are so many brilliant details in each of the sections here - I think I'll just list a few favorites :)

"And he served for life, although at the end, he could not truly remember whom, or why."

"Russandol died with Findekano, if not sooner." (I love that here you have Fingon giving him this name, rather than his brothers, which I usually see headcanoned.)

[insert the entire 'Maedhros' section :) ] I love the emphasis on the inherent conflict in the name, the way it embraces the new situation in Beleriand and draws together the political and the deeply personal. I like the notion that at least one of the Exiles would truly love their Sindarin name.

"The people who loved him still - for some unfathomable reason" OUCH. Just throw a dose of his self-loathing in there without warning, why don't you? ;)

"for the Enemy and his Enemy were more alike than many would think" Wow, I'd never thought of comparing the two, but I love it: that parallel between their "vice, hatred and ambition" is perfect.
mistAndStarlight chapter 2 . 3/21
Thank you, both of these chapters have introduced their characters in interesting ways... and the first one was a nice lead-in to the second. :)

I think they aren't too difficult... if a few references remain unnoticed for one person, probably they are for others. :) Because, would it not be boring if all people understood a text in the same way? Multiple or vague meanings are only bad if one writes programs. :)
Unicadia chapter 1 . 3/19
I've always loved names and the meanings behind them, and Tolkien's are just so rich! I am really loving this and looking forward to more!