Reviews for In which Hikigaya meets Yukinoshita in elementary
RandomGuest chapter 1 . 8/19
I mean American elementary in Japan? That is like saying there is a Russian university in America. Unless they went overseas. But who the **** goes overseas for elementary school in another nation?
Kumo Doushin chapter 1 . 8/13
I still can’t get over how perfect of a starting chapter this is. You started this as a one-shot, and I would also agree that it’s perfect just as a one-shot too. But, boy am I happy you made this into a series. Absolutely brilliant writing and equally brilliant chapter.
Srarplus19 chapter 7 . 6/17
Read this again. Still good. Update soon?
Gautam Girdhar chapter 7 . 5/19
Man this was great. I would love to read more of this.
455 chapter 2 . 5/10
Seriously? Is it necessary for character development or something? You've just wasted a long ass childhood history!
Kumo Doushin chapter 7 . 5/2
After years of putting your story on hold, reading it from the beginning I find that it’s still just as beautifully written as I remembered it. I still remember reading this the first time and was mind blown by the quality of the writing only to see that you intended it as one-shot. Then, after the public outcry (read: intense praises from other readers who were demanding more) you finally gave in and uploaded the second chapter to which I was jumping around in joy like a kid who had gotten a present. I couldn’t remember exactly why I put it on hold. I think it’s because of real life stuff, but also because your story is special. It’s like eating food, “save the best for last” or something along those lines haha.

The idea of Hachiman going to the same elementary school as Yukino and Hayato is very intriguing indeed. Combined with your writing style, story structure, very much on-point characterizations, and the overall execution of the story make for a winning combo.

I see that you changed the fact that Hachiman, Yukino, and Hayato were in US elementary school. I actually didn’t mind the inaccuracies before and really like it in fact. But I respect the fact that you’re trying really hard to make all the details as accurate to canon as possible, while also giving your own excellent spin to it. Don’t get me wrong, the changes are just as fantastic, and the edit to the later chapters flow smoothly and didn’t feel jarring to read. I just wish I still have local copy of the story before the changes, as they are both excellent.

If I remember correctly I read your story up to chapter 4 where Hachiman and Komachi on a super market of some sort arguing about Pan-san rip-off and then met with Hayato and Yumiko. But later Hachiman looked back to the sight of Yui looking at him in surprised/awkward manner. But your edit removed that entirely and changed her with Hina.

There is one thing that I’m confused about though. Why does Komachi need an allowance from her brother? I don’t think canon ever mention that Hachiman ever given Komachi any allowance whatsoever and your story never really explained the reason behind it either.

But on the other hand, I really really like the fact that because of that (or at least one of the outcome from it) is that Hachiman has already started his path of “corporate slave” by actually working in a coffee shop thanks to Yukino. Yukino’s suggestion to working and helping find the right job for Hachiman, his reluctance to working (as usual), and the fact that Yukino repeatedly visited him at work and their interactions are really heartwarming and one of the many evident that they are truly friends.

Oh, and I also really like his boss. She seems to be just as socially perceptive as Hachiman. Kinda reminds me of Haruno without all the malice lol! I was hoping that you would show when Hachiman quit the job and how his boss reacts to that, because there was an unresolved thing about her not allowing him to quit until he finds out why she hired him in the first place. Seriously, this is one the few OC that I’m really interested in!

The other thing that I love is that you took the time to develop their relationship with each other. From just simple interactions between two outcasts in elementary school; being phone buddies who support each other emotionally; to finally meeting up in a car crash and hospital; hanging around each other like studying, going to music store in Tokyo where Hachiman helped her realized that she should just enjoy her instrument of choice instead of focusing on tasks to checklist, meeting in the coffee shop, etc; to the self-introspection about themselves and their relationship. Honestly, the part where Hachiman started to think that he wasn’t being helpful and thought that she deserved perfection, her sadness because of him, and them making up was so good.

The best part, after all of that, is in the latest chapter when Yukino collided against Hachiman. When someone who values personal space did something like that really shows how much she trusted him just as much as he trusted her. It’s really heartwarming and I feel right reading these two interact with one anoother from beginning to the end.

Regarding your Author’s Notes at the end of chapter 7, I’m with you there. Waiting on Season 3 was painful as I completely avoided any discussions about anything OreGairu in the subreddit, youtube, or anywhere else, but it was totally worth it in the end. I also avoided fics that places itself after Season 2, but I did still read other fics that are within Season 1 and 2. I respect your decision on not reading other fics in fear of losing your version of the characters because I genuinely like your interpretations of all of them.

Anyway, I’ve rambled long enough. All I want to say is thank you so much for writing this story and I hope you continue updating it.

Stay safe!
danielkid50 chapter 7 . 4/29
This is such a good story, I can't wait for the next chapter.

The one thing that felt a little weird though was when Hachiman was thinking about Yukino's 'first' friend when referencing Yui when he himself was her first friend since in elementary school they said they were friends explicitly. I feel like when you changed the setting to high school they felt a lot more like strangers than people who knew each other since elementary school, close strangers, yes, but still strangers who don't know what the other is feeling. For example, when Hachiman first joins the service club he does a little rant about not actually wanting to be in it and he reverts back into a more cannon form of himself. Other than that I think the story is very well done and I look forward to more.
luigiisawesome234 chapter 7 . 4/26
Damn, man. That was a good read. Not sure what else to say. It was just so smooth, unlike 8man over here...
I hope you find the time/inspiration to continue it, cause it's really well written. Arigato, Author-san!
TLS chapter 7 . 3/18
This fic is really good! I like the interactions between our main duo; they very clearly care deeply about the other and try to support them. I don't mind retreading the same canon events as in the original, since the context for a lot of them is different since Hachiman and Yukino are in a totally different mindset, approaching the situation as partners and not as adversaries. The tennis match really showed this strongly, and I hope we can get an update with more of this soon!
EclipsedSoull chapter 7 . 3/10
Im a new reader and i am quite enjoying this fic, nice job writing it!
surya25addanki chapter 7 . 2/3
Looking forward for this
Energy Dragon Slayer chapter 7 . 1/30
I love this story and really hope it gets updated again. I really want to see if Hachiman is more brutal when insulting sagami and the people who slack off during the cultural festival
Mr.Cristian chapter 7 . 1/14
Its was a really good read for the time is spent o it :) but it's a pity that it dropped
G.M.Keys chapter 7 . 12/29/2020
I’m so happy to have found this story! I love the way it’s written and the way you have developed the characters. Yukino and Hiki’s relationship is fantastic, I love their dynamic. You’ve done a wonderful job building up their interactions and I love their friendship. They’re so cute together! I couldn’t stop reading! Super excited for the next chapter and to see where this is going!
bob4204ever chapter 6 . 12/24/2020
yay yui finally appear. also known as the girl who never be with the MC.