Reviews for The Mapmakers
Laerthel chapter 5 . 6/15
Unforgivables have always intrigued me - many times in the HP lore, we encounter spells that need special wand movements, concentration skills and I could continue... yet no one ever teaches Harry or anyone else how to use the Unforgivables. There's no explanation on them, other than Avada Kedavra needs great magical power, or that Crucio only works if you WANT to cause pain and suffering. I really like the explanation that "you just point your wand and mean it", it really makes sense.

You continue portraying Severus really well, I expected him to do well at this :) and you continue to amaze me with PERFECT dialogues between the Marauders. I always admired fic writers who could do that. Lookin' forward to the rest :)

L
Your story is good so far, but you might want to take off "canon compliant." Bellatrix wasn't at school with the marauders and Hogwarts students don't have free periods until 6th year.
TristanCan chapter 4 . 6/11
While you often see Snape around Mulciber and Avery in these fics, you don’t often see them defending him from the Mauraders, I like the little change from tradition there
Son of Whitebeard chapter 5 . 6/9
ooh the ifamous incdent
Son of Whitebeard chapter 4 . 6/9
Severus is in shock
Son of Whitebeard chapter 2 . 6/9
ooh love the cleaning routine
brongsandbrofoot chapter 5 . 6/9
Nailing it
Laerthel chapter 4 . 5/28
Very-very good writing and characterisations. Honestly, this is so refreshing. Maybe I'll start reading Harry Potter fics again :D
Thank you for the experience!

L
Grindhouse chapter 4 . 5/24
So Lily beat a James who was already exhausted by playing an entire Quidditch match and then bragged about beating him with a spell made up by a Death Eater? This Lily can go join Voldemort.
wHAT
This is so unbelievably good, honestly. There's nothing else to say about it. You've managed to keep all of the characters what feels like the most in-character I've ever seen them, and you're building around the events of canon really well. It's so unbelievably cool to watch Snape's fall, and to see it play out in all the shades of gray-there's so much pressure on him, but just enough that you still know he could've resisted, and you find that balance really well, and keep him ambiguous and complex, which is really refreshing and nice. The entire network of Death Eaters, and the set up of the first war is really cool, and obviously well thought-out too...and pre-Azkaban Bellatrix? Chills.
I also loved the nuance that you added to the friendship between Sev and Lily, and the treatment of muggleborns in general. The powerful-enough-to-deny-conventions-in-Hogwarts, but not the real world, and that very real sideways discrimination in the options she had was very clever, and exactly where Rowling never quite went, so it's really cool to see.
And the Marauders. Oh god, the Marauders. Thank you for your absolutely flawless portrayals. Thank you for not making Peter worthless, or a bad friend or person. Thank you for keeping the bullying in, but also showing how they justify it. Thank you for the utter fabulousness that is cocky, semi-f*ckboy Sirius Black, and his Quidditch commentary. Thank you for your excellently wry Remus. Thank you for how well they all work together. Thank you for giving them emotions.
Thank you for, in general, writing very well, without typos, with actually very good imagery and style...honestly, if this fic lasts, I might just accept it as my marauders prequel series, and that is the highest compliment I think I can pay you.
I hope you are having an amazing day-at least as amazing as your fic.
brongsandbrofoot chapter 1 . 5/15
This is super well written for a first fic and so far your dialogue and characterization of the marauders is really engaging I love it!
LGBTGirl chapter 1 . 5/13
I like it but where are the LGBT characters? The world is not dominated by only straight characters. That would be unrealistic! :(

Otherwise great job
Osced chapter 2 . 5/4
Liked the chapter, quite funny especially with James in detention. However FYI Bella is abt 9 years older than Severus and they wouldn't meet a Hogwarts. But I can see that their is storyline including Bella, so can understand that you wan't her to be younger.

/Osced
Devereaux13 chapter 2 . 5/4
Umm already such a fan of this story, thank you so much and please keep it up! I’m glad you added the mandrake leaf bit, as Very few ficus that I’ve read have included it. Keep it up!
Osced chapter 1 . 4/28
A great start, I'm looking forward to read the next instalment.

/Osced