Reviews for The Cactus and the Toad
Son of Whitebeard chapter 10 . 23h
cruel curse
duj chapter 10 . 6/21
Of course Snape applied Neville's words to someone else who'd been waiting alone for far too long. But even if there's something left of her, will she trust it to him, whom she has ever seemed to abhor?
Happydragon5 chapter 10 . 6/20
Ah! This is my favourite fanfic that I’ve ever read! And you always leave it on a cliffhanger! Haha. Driving me crazy. I adore Neville with his plants, and you gave even the plants such character! You give each character so much depth. That’s my favourite thing in any fiction; well developed characters. Of course we know JK invented Neville and Snape but you give them so much life. I can’t wait to find out what Alice’s mind looks like. Let me know when you are writing your own novel, I’ll be jumping for a copy.
BlueWater5 chapter 10 . 6/20
I loved Neville in the greenhouse! Great plants!
weirdbutquiet chapter 9 . 6/18
I'm loving this story!

I need more scenes of the characters seeing how great of a person Neville is.

Great job at writing the characters, I can imagine them acting and talking this way after the war.

Hopefully you update soon.
plutoplex chapter 9 . 6/17
Loving this fic so far. The friendship growing between Severus and Neville is lovely.
Minerva394 chapter 9 . 6/14
Thank you for this chapter, I really like how you portray Neville and the clueless trio.
This is absolutely marvelous! Love the humor, which is so hard to do with a light touch as you have here. It’s so interesting seeing Snape’s thoughts about Neville, especially in connection with his friends and how Hermione undercut him. It figures that Snape would be perceptive enough to see that. Makes me wonder just what Augusta really said about the matchmaking and how she meant it. I can see her making a double edged comment about the girl finding someone better suited to her and Neville not getting it that it was actually a cut at the other woman and not at him.
duj chapter 9 . 6/14
Wise advice :)
FitzDizzyspells8 chapter 9 . 6/13
THANK YOU for pointing out the dilemma of having the Golden Trio return to Grimmauld Place after the war. Other fics never address the problem of returning to a place where the safety was compromised (though, I guess you could argue that they would feel it was safe to return after the war, even though they'd be wrong).

Ooh, ice trickled through my veins when I found out it was Rabastan, and, before it was revealed, you did a nice job reminding us exactly how Neville would feel toward him.

"When your father is released from St. Mungo's, he will need a place to stay." Wow - wow! I can't believe it's actually going to happen, this makes me so giddy!

Little things I appreciated:
"Profess - er"
Snape's matter-of-fact defense of Neville, and how Neville felt about it
The way you wrote George. Subtle and heartbreaking.
"That she can do better." Oof. Poor Neville. Augusta makes me so angry sometimes.
FitzDizzyspells8 chapter 8 . 6/13
Great, tense scene in the beginning (gah when Trevor croaked!). I'd completely forgotten Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder exists, and you use it so well in this scene! I have a scene in my fic where my character fills Knockturn Alley with dense fog so he can get away with something, and I'm realizing he should've just used Instant Darkness Powder haha! (Although, my fic takes place in the '80s, so I guess it wouldn't be around yet. Fred and George invented it, didn't they?)

Loved the image of the darkness clearing to reveal the shattered staircase.

I know I say it every time, but I really am impressed by how well you write all the characters' voices. I guess I appreciate it so much because I read fanfic because I miss the wizarding world sometimes, and this really does feel like a new story from J.K. Rowling.

Omg, I *LOVED* how you executed the Hundred Year Sleep curse idea! Everything in that scene is perfect, hahaha. I'm very interested to see the fallout of that play out.

Clever of Snape (and, by default, clever of you) to think of using Polyjuice to identify the intruder's identity through the blood.
Happydragon5 chapter 9 . 6/13
Aaaw I love them! Snape and Neville’s interactions just melt my heart. Even if Snape is trying to be stoic.
BlueWater5 chapter 9 . 6/13
Intriguing turn of events. I like the interweaving of the two plots - the relationship between Severus and Neville and the return of the Lestranges. I'm glad you didn't have Snape offer to let him stay at his place - that would have been too facile.
BlueWater5 chapter 8 . 6/13
Gotta love Fiend! Interesting question.
BlueWater5 chapter 7 . 6/13
I liked Hermione's analysis of Snape. Interesting comparison between Hermione and Neville.