Reviews for Leather
MeoW03 chapter 1 . 5/5/2005
Gr8!
mispel chapter 1 . 12/5/2004
I liked the first part especially. The second part works well as an explanation of what was going through Wood's mind - why he seemed to give up his vendetta. "Black leather, smooth and cool in his grasp as her hands gently worked his free." That's my favorite part. It's perfectly vivid.
Son Of Evil chapter 1 . 11/19/2003
Whoa! Great fic. But, if Spike killed my mum, I'd kill him. Even at the cost of the world
aviatrix chapter 1 . 8/11/2003
damn. almost dead-on characterizations and beautiful language; emotive and inventive and downright pretty.
MaidM chapter 1 . 6/22/2003
*run sobbing out of the room and cry into pillow for several hours*
Falco Conlon chapter 1 . 6/7/2003
wow

mucho sad...

-smacks Spike!Muse-

BASTARD!

Love and Waffles

Falco Conlon
Leanne8582 chapter 1 . 5/28/2003
A good insight into the mind of Principal Wood. I liked it. I can't imagine what must go through his mind everytime he sees Spike wearing the coat, which is practically the flayed pelt of his mother.
Green Bunny Goddess chapter 1 . 5/21/2003
I'm picking and choosing fics to read of yours. :) Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback on my new story. I really appreciate it. This one was amazing. The description of scenes was wonderful, it gave you the feeling of being *right*. *there*. I loved it. ::goes in search of more::
twisgd chapter 1 . 4/6/2003
Excellent, poignant, psychologically realistic.

'Spike can do no wrong' brigade, please note.
Gemini chapter 1 . 4/3/2003
Eh, it's so-so. 6/10. Too shallow and short.
Anneth chapter 1 . 4/3/2003
HonorH, this is a fascinating look into Wood's possible psyche. To me, the most compelling line is "he'll dream of leather" - to anyone familiar with the Buffyverse, Wood's dream of leather is a perfectly reasonable, visceral, basically unconscious response to the loss of his mother at a young age. An aspect you brought out beautifully in the opening paragraphs. This line also plays into the idea of Wood's not-so-unconscious bloodlust regarding Spike, which you again brought out nicely. But, above and beyond the Buffyverse, there's the idea that 'dreams of leather' indicate some sort of perverse fetishistic sexual fixation in the unconscious or subconscious of the dreamer. But this, too, plays into the Wood we know from the Buffyverse, and a man you brought out in your story. A man who has idealized a long-dead mother, lived most of his life fixated upon the idea of finding and killing another, and recently has come to realize an "oedipal" interest in a woman who is both an employee and a slayer like his mom.

Your story is beautifully constructed and neatly written. I submit, however, the idea that Crowley probably would have talked about Nikki to Wood a lot, rather than barely at all. I can see arguments one way or the other as to which course of action would more likely set Wood off on his obsessive life-long vendetta, and of course the episode Lies gave no clue about how Crowley raised Wood. But it seems more reasonable to me that Crowley would have spoken of Nikki frequently, giving Wood fodder to develop the sort of idealization necessary for his subsequent actions.

Great story! I really enjoyed reading it.
Merl chapter 1 . 4/2/2003
I was wondering what kind of dumb mom names her kid "Robin Wood"? Did she have a Robin Hood fixation? LOL. Anyway, decent story. I don't think the present tense really worked in this case, and I would have liked more depth, more length, more insight into Wood. It was a pretty fair beginning, though.
Finn Mac Cool chapter 1 . 4/2/2003
Great fic, HonorH. You do an excellent job writing little moments that delve into the character's thoughts. Admittedly, I was afraid you were going to go too far with the Oedipal implications when a fic about Wood's thoughts of his mother was titled "leather". OK, I have sick mind. lol Very good story though. Write on!
Selena chapter 1 . 4/2/2003
A sensitive, wonderful character vignette. Wood's thoughts and feelings about his mother, Spike, Buffy and Crowley are all completely believable. Kudos!
BK the irregular chapter 1 . 4/2/2003
Very, *very* nice. Good look into a deep, rich character; the conflict within him is very nicely drawn.