Reviews for Hope in the Darkness
Fleur24 chapter 1 . 9/22/2019
This was a delight to read. I thoroughly enjoyed your characterization of Thrain. How he's able to sense and manipulate the stones, and how his identity and memories slowly faded away. It sounds rather like Alzheimer's. I had wondered how Gandalf had gotten the key and map, and this is a very good telling of how he did so.
RuneRuthie chapter 1 . 5/20/2018
Such a beautiful story! I have never really thought about Thrain's last days, but I'm completely in love with this story. What you wrote is so fitting and so moving. There's no direct description of torture, but the pain and the brokeness is vivid. May he find peace in the Halls of Mahal.
sian22 chapter 1 . 5/18/2018
I just loved your idea for the prompt. It got my first place vote. congratulations!
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 5/17/2018
This is excellent! I absolutely love the way you write Thrain's thoughts here. From the start, I love his perception of the stone, his ability to sense its song - and therefore its story - and bend it to his will. It recalls Aule's role in the Music and the shaping of Arda so gorgeously.

And I also love how you show the disintegration of Thrain's mind and sense of identity. For some reason I always imagined him completely 'mad,' almost delirious or hysterical, by the time Gandalf reaches him, but this is even better. There's a quiet sense of fading, of slow loss, that's really powerful, especially as Thrain's aware that his mind is broken and his memories are gone. His resignation to his fate adds another layer of melancholy, and is so fitting for the line of Durin.

Your Gandalf is perfect, as well! His dialogue is so on-point (especially the "It came to me, the way odd things do" - that reminded me again just how much I adore him :D). The "secret/safe" bit is a great touch, too.

Lovely work, as always!